Good Desert Map

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

As the title suggests I'm running a campaign that is based on a desert city.  The adventurers are off exploring the desert and I'm in need of a few maps for encounters.  I have the tileset, which is mediocre, and the big nice Dark Sun map as well.  I still need a few more and have scoured DDi for them, but with no luck. 

Any help or finger pointing in the right direction would be extremely grateful.  Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

Happy Playing. 
WotC produced a desert map for the adventure "Marauders of the dune sea". There is also a printed vinyl desert map if you can find it on the internet. I'm not sure that DDi has anything.
Thanks.  I have the vinyl map, but I forgot about the dune sea one.  I'll give it a look.
"Marauders of the dune sea" has the same desert map that you have in vinyl, but it also has a city street map for dark sun.
You might try the Gamemastery desert flip-mat.  Also, you may be able to find old copies of the Dark Sun D&D Encounters season, Fury of the Wastewalker.  That came with some decent desert maps (scroll down here).

I hope this helps.  Good luck. 
at home I have a bag of sand (that was meant for a fish tank) which I kept because I always wanted to setup a desert encounter by pouring the sand out onto a board/tray. I never got around to it yet but you could easily give it a try and might make for a really cool environment for the mini's.
You could use dried bits of foliage from outside and a couple of bits of old wood (whatever seems appropriate) to make it more interesting and give them some cover etc.
The only real issue would be the lack of grid but as long as your players are cooperative that wouldn't be too much of an issue. Its fairly easy to count out squares.
You could even overlap the sand onto some dungeon tiles if you need some ruins or somesuch in the middle.
Thanks for the great idea Soare.  I have another desert encounter as well.  I'm gonna try it with that. 

Thanks Prom.  I wasn't aware galeforce made a Dark Sun desert city map on vinyl.  Their maps are outstanding and it would work well in my desert city called Ash Shazar.

Also, thanks CubPhilD&D for reminding me that my game shop will have a copy of the Dark Sun Encounters maps available to borrow.  I started right after the Dark Sun Encounters, and have ran a session since.  I will definitely ask if I can borrow it. 

Again thanks everyone for the help.  The adventure is shaping up to be a good one.  I hope the players enjoy it as much as I am writing it. 
Thanks for the great idea Soare.  I have another desert encounter as well.  I'm gonna try it with that. 

Thanks Prom.  I wasn't aware galeforce made a Dark Sun desert city map on vinyl.  Their maps are outstanding and it would work well in my desert city called Ash Shazar.

Also, thanks CubPhilD&D for reminding me that my game shop will have a copy of the Dark Sun Encounters maps available to borrow.  I started right after the Dark Sun Encounters, and have ran a session since.  I will definitely ask if I can borrow it. 

Again thanks everyone for the help.  The adventure is shaping up to be a good one.  I hope the players enjoy it as much as I am writing it. 

Galeforce doesn't make a desert city vinyl map, just the desert map with the vortex. "Marauders of the Dune Sea" has a desert city map and the desert vortex map. A little confusion there, hope that wasn't me.

The DDi adventure "Oasis of the Golden Peacock" has desert maps, but nothing with cities.
National Geographic might have some cool old maps. Seems like every time I go to a yard sale or Goodwill store, there's a box of them.

Art history books sometimes have location maps.

Order travel brochures for historic places. You can probably get them online in PDF format, for free. Good thing is, they have a key and important features are often photographed. You can change the location numbers in your notebook.

A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
For a battle map, you could get some sandpaper of various grits and colors so it doesn't make such a mess. Cut the paper into one-inch squares and stick em. Or spray-paint some velcro pads. They have all kinds of stuff for aquariums that might give you some ideas. The strange coral formations make nice desert rocks, for instance. The wierd plastic plants can be the wierd desert plants. Dr' Scholl's shoe inserts could represent a small oasis. That was a dumb idea, maybe... but I'm just gellin'.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Maps of mastery sells 2 desert maps.

Skeleton key games has several desert tile collections in PDF.
Thanks again for the ideas.  Those websites looked great.  Time for me to order some new maps.  Any idea as to their paper thickness?  It simply said heavy cardstock glossed paper.  It sounds good, but if it's anything like Piazzo's map, as beautiful as what they are, I'm not a fan.  It took like seven months of having dictionaries resting on top of the map in order for it to lay flat.  Odd design, not sure what they were thinking. 
Also, CALI3-3 from LivingForgottenRealms.com has some very decent desert battle maps (and interesting ideas about the fatigue that goes with travelling through the desert).
Heroic Dungeon Master
Dont be afraid to use google maps to screen dump actual desert maps. There is a lot of good terrain out there.

Salt Lake Maptile

The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html