Plainswalkers

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello,

a quick question about plainswalkers: If, for example, I have 6 counters on Liliana of the Veil and I use her -6 "ultimate". Can she be, in response, eg Shocked so she goes to +4 and the ultimate doesnt happen? Or does it happen no matter what.

Simmilar with -> There are +3 counters on Liliana. When it gest Lightning Bolted. Can I in response do the +1 ability so she stays alive?

Hello,

a quick question about plainswalkers [sic]: If, for example, I have 6 counters on Liliana of the Veil and I use her -6 "ultimate". Can she be, in response, eg Shocked

No.  In response she could be Coffin Purged, but that still won't touch the ability.  State-based actions won't wait for the ability to resolve.

704.5i If a planeswalker has loyalty 0, it's put into its owner's graveyard.

so she goes to +4 and the ultimate doesnt happen? Or does it happen no matter what.

112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability. Note that some abilities cause a source to do something (for example, "Prodigal Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player") rather than the ability doing anything directly. In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in the zone it's expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.

Simmilar with -> There are +3 counters on Liliana. When it gest Lightning Bolted. Can I in response do the +1 ability so she stays alive?

No.
112.5. Some activated abilities are loyalty abilities. Loyalty abilities follow special rules: A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn, but only if no player has previously activated a loyalty ability of that permanent that turn. See rule 606, "Loyalty Abilities."

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

it's Planeswalker, not Plainswalker

costs cannot be responded to
so before your opponent can cast Shock Liliana is already in the graveyard and her ability on the stack

you cannot activate Loyalty abilities outside of "sorcery timing", which means empty stack and your main phase
proud member of the 2011 community team

Hello,

a quick question about plainswalkers: If, for example, I have 6 counters on Liliana of the Veil and I use her -6 "ultimate". Can she be, in response, eg Shocked so she goes to +4 and the ultimate doesnt happen? Or does it happen no matter what.

The payment of costs can't be responded to. You remove the 6 counters as you activate the ability. By the time the opponent can respond, the counter have already been removed (and if that put her at 0 loyalty, she's already in the graveyard).

No. You can only activate a loyalty ability any time you could cast a sorcery (i.e. in your main phase, while you have priority and the stack is empty).
Sign In to post comments