DLCR: Cryptborn Horror

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final RtR card to rate is...

Cryptborn Horror

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what pack.
4.5: First pick pack 1.
4.0: I will strongly consider playing this as the only card of its color.
3.5: I feel a strong pull into this card’s color.
3.0: This card makes me want to play this color.
2.5: Several cards of this power level start to pull me to this color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is a tough one to rate.  At times I've seen this come down as a 4/4 or higher which is great then.  Other times it's just sat in the hand because the damage couldn't get through.

I'll say 2 if you're Rakdos or something quick otherwise 1.

Discuss! 
I generally dislike win-more cards, but you can get this one pretty big if your opponent doesn't know you have it and wants to race. I think 2.0 is fine, but I have cut it before.

Has disapointed me every time I've included it in my deck - and I've played it alot (too much).
I've gotten him out turn 4-5 as a 5/5 which is about the best you can hope for.

I still lose those matches.

In a very agressive rakdos deck he might pull weight, but don't go thinking he's going to win games for you.

2.0 - 2.5
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
1. So unreliable.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I've seen people first pick him, and I have never once seen it actually perform greatly.  Strangely, at it's most useful would be a turn 3 drop if you can squeeze 3 or 4 damage through and he's a 3/3 or 4/4 trampler for 3.  If you're dealing 4 or more damage in a turn by turn 4 or more, you've pretty much won already and dropping this becomes almot completely irrelevant.  If you stalled out by then, this won't save you as you won't get significant damage through at that point.  Frankly, I'd have most any efficient beater at 3 than this.  It's only rarely going to do what you want it to do, won't turn the tide if you want it to, and only becomes a problem if you're already winning by a lot.
I wonder if people get greedy and hold back on playing him too long.  He really needs to come down turn 3-5 if you're going to play it.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
I wonder if people get greedy and hold back on playing him too long.  He really needs to come down turn 3-5 if you're going to play it.

I think so.  They see the ability, and think that dropping it as a 3/3 is a waste.  Frankly, depending on how it looks on the board, I just might drop it as a 2/2 trample on 3 if I have a decent amount of pump going on.  That said, it's one where you need to be able to read the board condition.  If you are reasonably certain you can get 4-5 damage on the next turn, it might be worth holding off.  Still, you run the risk of pittering out to much and it being useless.
The reason I think it could work is that Rakdos has the ability to pile on early damage with cards like Rakdos CacklerGore-house Chainwalker and Rakdos Shred-freak, as well as field creatures like Splatter Thug that you are better off not blocking early on. If you can get this to come down as a 4/4 or better that should be enough to justify the cost.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Wow, it appears the Magic community really dislikes this card. I just had a draft were I was thinking about picking this, but decided on an Ogre Jailbreaker instead. It tabled and I picked it up anyway as the 2nd to last card.
Wow, it appears the Magic community really dislikes this card. I just had a draft were I was thinking about picking this, but decided on an Ogre Jailbreaker instead. It tabled and I picked it up anyway as the 2nd to last card.

Did it end up being useful to you?

Did it end up being useful to you?

I had to cut it because the deck was already so good including the Cryptborn could only have hurt it by increasing variance. But looking at the points where I played the card I cut it for, it would have done well.

I think part of it has to do with dissilusion over what people view it's capability to be, and how it actually performs.  I know at the pre-release this was one of the "hot" critters out there with people expecting it to throw out at 5/5 or something like that.  Problem is, it's simply rarelly going to do that, and if it does then it's probably overkill at that point.  I've known people to hold back instead of bringing it out at a 3/3 on turn 3 simply because they wanted to get it much bigger.  However, a 3/3 trampler for 3 is still pretty good, and a lot of people need to realize that.

After a few weeks, people just didn't want it.  That said, I cannot see it keeping through to the end of pack.  It's not amazingly good, but there is plenty I'd pass over for it.  So either it was in an exceptional pack, or more likely people are undervaluing it.  A lot.

Still, I'd probably pass it if there was something else that was good in the pack.  It's not first pickable most of the time, as the variance is a deal breaker.  But if it was passed to me mid-pack I'd snatch it and consider playing it.  It can reliably come out as a 3/3 a decent amount of the time.  

I think part of it has to do with dissilusion over what people view it's capability to be, and how it actually performs.  I know at the pre-release this was one of the "hot" critters out there with people expecting it to throw out at 5/5 or something like that.  Problem is, it's simply rarelly going to do that, and if it does then it's probably overkill at that point.  I've known people to hold back instead of bringing it out at a 3/3 on turn 3 simply because they wanted to get it much bigger.  However, a 3/3 trampler for 3 is still pretty good, and a lot of people need to realize that.

After a few weeks, people just didn't want it.  That said, I cannot see it keeping through to the end of pack.  It's not amazingly good, but there is plenty I'd pass over for it.  So either it was in an exceptional pack, or more likely people are undervaluing it.  A lot.

Still, I'd probably pass it if there was something else that was good in the pack.  It's not first pickable most of the time, as the variance is a deal breaker.  But if it was passed to me mid-pack I'd snatch it and consider playing it.  It can reliably come out as a 3/3 a decent amount of the time.  

I guess the main problem is that Splatter Thug, Undead Reveler and Gorehouse Chain-Walker all come out with 3 power for 3 CMC as well. I'm sure there's a deck for this card, but it's hard to play win more cards when you feel like you've got a deck that can win already.
Played this in a sealed that was lacking a little in late punch.  The only time I drew it, the board had stalled and I didn't have enough damage to win, but would not lose on a counterattack.  Overloaded a Blustersquall to take a ten point chunk out of my opponent.  Then dropped this.  My opp scooped as the Trample was the relevant part. 

That being said, I was not really happy to be playing it.  1.5 at its best case scenario.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Its a fun card.  The one time I had it in a deck I think it dropped as at least a 9/9 and up to a 16/16 once.