How much XP for this hazard? (SoT players, KEEP OUT)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings, all. So, in my Eberron game, the party is going to have a fight on top of the Lightning Rail. In addition to having the usual train-based antics, I want to have some sort of arcing hazard. This is what I have so far:
1.) At the start of the round, roll 2d12. Since a Lightning Rail car is 24 squares long, I can divide it up into a front half and a back half, and the d12 result is which row of squares gets zapped.
2.) Tell people (and now, I'm thinking of just handing out index cards with this...) around the zones to be zapped that they smell ozone in verying intensities.  Anybody who is directly on the bands to be zapped would smell the "overpowering" smell of ozone. If they are adjacent to the squares to be zapped, "very strong," two squares away, "the scent of ozone," and three squares away, "weak".
3.) At the end of the round, zap the squares. As of right now, I'm thinking no attack roll, but deal 1d10+5 damage and daze until end of next turn.

So, two questions for you all.
1.) How does it sound?
2.) How much XP should it be?

Much appreciated! 

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
It is really hard to answer the question without knowing what level your characters are.  1d10+5 of auto damage at level 1 might be a bit high for a trap.  Later maybe not.  Also is this trap or hazard able to be deactivated?  If so how?  Are there points you can attack and damage to disarm it?  If so how many HP does each have?  How many need deactivated to disarm it?  Is it really only 1 row out of 24 that gets zapped each round?  Do you find out roughly where is getting zapped only at the start of the round and only if you start near the zone or do you find out as you move near the zone as well?  You could potentially have players covering a lot of spaces on a turn with a charge.

Oh and yeah sounds like it has a lot of potential.  
Oh right. My players are level 7. There are not points to disarm, nor a way to deactivate. That's why its a hazard. Its 2 rows of 24 on a platform that is like 4 or 6 x 24. My intent was to inform where the zapping areas are only at the start of the turn; I didn't think about charging. That may make the note-card idea more important.

57019168 wrote:
Since it cannot be disarmed or neutralized, I would say make it a hard roll vs reflex. Maybe +12 or +14, half damage on a miss as the character dives to the adjacent row.
But, it can be avoided. Still, though, does anybody have an idea of an XP cost? Or even where there are trap- or hazard-building guidelines?

57019168 wrote:
i dont really use xp for rewards, but i do use it to denote encounter difficulty. though there are exceptions such as 'minion' traps, hazards and traps typically have the xp total of a standard monster. so for your level, i would rate it as 700 xp (equal to a level 7 standard). you might want to increase that to 'elite' status since they cant shut it off, but then again it is predictable, so i think 700 xp is fine.
Greetings, all. So, in my Eberron game, the party is going to have a fight on top of the Lightning Rail. In addition to having the usual train-based antics, I want to have some sort of arcing hazard. This is what I have so far:
1.) At the start of the round, roll 2d12. Since a Lightning Rail car is 24 squares long, I can divide it up into a front half and a back half, and the d12 result is which row of squares gets zapped.
2.) Tell people (and now, I'm thinking of just handing out index cards with this...) around the zones to be zapped that they smell ozone in verying intensities.  Anybody who is directly on the bands to be zapped would smell the "overpowering" smell of ozone. If they are adjacent to the squares to be zapped, "very strong," two squares away, "the scent of ozone," and three squares away, "weak".
3.) At the end of the round, zap the squares. As of right now, I'm thinking no attack roll, but deal 1d10+5 damage and daze until end of next turn.

So, two questions for you all.
1.) How does it sound?
2.) How much XP should it be?

Much appreciated! 

I have designed many of encounters and this sounds like it could be pretty interesting so I'll give you some tips.

Firstly, you shouldn't worry too much about exactly how much xp to give out for traps. A general rule of thumb is to make the trap worth xp based on the monsters. Usually make the trap have xp equall to monsters of their level, and figure out how many PCs it can affect at once. For instance, if the trap does damage similar to a level 5 monster, then give it xp equal to a level 5 monster. If it is doing damage equal to a level 5 monster, to say, all members of the party, then make it equal to several level 5 monsters. The same can be said if a trap, for instance,  immobilizes someone, it is similar to them being engaged with a monster.

Second, there is a difference between traps and hazardous terrain. Traps only affect the party, hazardous terrain can also affect the monsters. A trap gives out xp because it is basically allied with "team monster." Disabling or neutralizing a trap, is similar to "killing" a monster. Hazardous terrain can be used by the players to damage the monsters as well.

Because the lightning arcs are random, I would recomend making it hazardous terrain, and not have it give xp. Give the enemy the same chance to detect if it is coming. This means if the players have a way to immobilize or slide the monsters, they could be tricky and use the lightning arcs against them as well.

It sounds like they are fightning on the outside of the train, while it is moving. Because of that I would recomend that it does not daze. Instead use something less powerful, like knocking them prone,-2 to one defence, or reducing thier movement speed. Dazing is also worse against melee characters than range charcters, because you must charge or not attack.

I would also recomend increasing the amount of squres that it can hit. With only 2 rows, and giving them a chance to detect it, you may never hit anyone. Make it 3d12, with the third d12 being whichever car has more creatures on it. And make the arc do area damage, where each sqaure adjacent to the arc is a flat 6 damage, that also applies the bad effect. It would look somehting like this...

1                                               12|1                                         12
[  ][  ][  ][x][X][x][  ][  ][  ][x][X][x][  ][  ][  ][  ][x][X][x][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ]
[  ][  ][  ][x][X][x][  ][  ][  ][x][X][x][  ][  ][  ][  ][x][X][x][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ]

You're affecting 3/8th of the area each turn. Make the third arc a "wild card" which goes off at a random point in the initiative. If 2 arcs happen to be directly on top of eachother, then reroll 1d12. After the first several rounds, if no arcs have come close to a charcter, use DM discression with your wild card arc to place it on top of monsters and PCs. If they are getting hit a lot, use DM discression to never hit with the wildcard arc.

Because the train is moving, I would recomend reducing everyones movement by 2. That means even if they have a move of 4, the can still get out of an arc zone before it happens. This is different from "difficult terrain" because they can still shift. Keeping thier movement to this level makes them stay close to an arc, feeling like they narrowly avoided getting hit.

Give them an option to move full speed with some difficulty. Such as a medium or hard dexterity check (roll 1d20 +1/2 level +dex mod). If they pass, they can move full speed.

If the arcs make an attack vs. reflex, then make it hard for them to know exactly where the arcs are going to happen. (perception DC 18)
If the arcs automatically hit, then make it easier (perception DC 12)  for them to know exactly where they will happen and let them roll endurance DC 18 to resist the bad effect, but not the damage.
Checks to detect the arcs are done at the top of the round by PCs and monsters, the 2 primary arcs always goes off at the end of the round.

Make sure team monster has similar chances to avoid and get hit by the lightning.

Passing the perception check can also be described as seeing electricity climbing its way up the sides of the train, if they are a charcter that can not smell (like a warforged)

I don't know what you exact plan is for the fight, but feel free to include a "ticking time bomb" element. Such as a swiftly approching tunnel that will smash everyone outside the train, or split in the tracks they have to change. They will feel like **** is really on the line, and feel like they accomplished somehting much cooler when they win.
But, it can be avoided. Still, though, does anybody have an idea of an XP cost? Or even where there are trap- or hazard-building guidelines?

DMG 1 pages 85-93

DMG 1 pages 85-93

That's just a list of traps. Doesn't help much when it comes to the construction of traps.

57019168 wrote:

DMG 1 pages 85-93

That's just a list of traps. Doesn't help much when it comes to the construction of traps.

DMG2 does talk about trap construction, though honestly there's not a lot in the way of rules really, given the vast range of possibilities.

I agree with vitamin_q that terrain shouldn't need to grant XP one way or another.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I'd probably just grant a few hundred XP for surviving the encounter+applicable combat xp+bonus points for clever or unique solutions to avoiding the electricity. 
Ok, no additional XP. That makes it easier. I'll also have a friendly NPC show up and "help."

So, we'll see how things go tonight, in the Shadow of Thronehold, as our brave heroes take on..."The Train Job"!

57019168 wrote:
Sign In to post comments