Mixed D&D question {california}

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello i figured id post where as its a mixed question

First i am living near sacramento right now and i have been trying to find a D&D group near me to join does anyone know where i can look or is there anyone around Sacramento that does D&D

also i have been trying to build 2 characters full with all abilities and stuff {that way i know what to get when i get to the lvl. it helps me remember}
I would like some ideas or advice/ help on building a viking  

also looking to build a lich king like character as i am a big wow fan..

any advice would be helpful.

i am slowly looking threw the forums to see what i can find when i am more free time from work i might end up posting a character question in the character build area but for right now this will have to do..

so any ideas on the builds and such or maybe even if there is someone who is good at making full character who could help me make it as i havent been that great on building a character 
To find D&D Group in the Sacramento region,  you can try either the dnd meetup.com, the D&D Gamer Classifieds Forums or the Store & Event Locator from WoTC.

Many character could be portrayed as a viking warrior, a Fighter, a Slayer, a Scout, a Barbarian, a Warlord and even a Skald. What are you looking for in a character ? What do you want to play ?

What role do you want to play? Striker, defender, leader or controller?
 What power source do you want to use? Martial, Primal, Divine, Arcane, Shadow? Some combination of two or more?
Do you want to wear heavy armor (chainmail) or light (hide armor)?
Use a sword, hammer or axe? A shield?

Answer those questions first, then choose a class that fits those answers. Almost anything, even a wizard, could be refluffed or flavored as a viking.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Don't forget the ultimate choice for the Viking: The Berserker. (Ok, maybe not mechanically, but eh)

Lich king? Well, you can pick up the Heroes of Shadow book for building necromancers (and some other fluff), and the Book of Vile Darkness for some fluff and maybe a theme or something.
Well, you'll have to dismiss the idea of ever creating a low level character that's the Lich King, as a level 80 Boss Mob known for raising undead minions to do his bidding, that's not something that can remotely be replicated in D&D by a Player.

If you want to play as the fallen Arthas, I'd recommend Revenant Paladin|Warlock (Sorcerer King Pact)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

I to assume that you're more interested in the popular caricature of vikings than in the real thing so that's what I'm making. Also, this is off the top of my head and therefore could probably be better, but is good enough for a quick example.

I'm going with knight because it's one of my favorite classes and therefore one I know well so it's really easy for me to make one in just a couple of minutes since I have three for Encounters and have leveled them all up for Lair Assault.

Human Knight

18/14/11/10/10/14 – The 14 Cha is because nobody has more force of personality than a viking.

HP 29. 11 surges of 7 each.

AC 20: 10 + 8 (armor) + 2 (shield)
Fort 17 (Class gives +2; Race gives +1 to all 3)
Ref 11
Will 13

Feats

• Shield Finesse (granted by class): removes shield penalty to skills.

• Master at Arms: +1/tier feat bonus attack with weapons. Can sheathe one weapon and draw another with a single minor action. – I chose this so you can easily switch between battleaxe and seax. If you never use your seax then you might prefer Axe Expertise which lets you reroll one 1 on each damage roll.

• Toughness (extra human feat): 5 extra HP per tier.

Skills (3+Human): Athletics 9, Endurance 7, Heal 5, Intimidate 7

Gear (0 gold remaining)

• Heavy shield (10g) – Viking round shield.

• Plate armor (50g) – Will need reflavoring since, when vikings wore armor at all, it was normally just lightly padded or random animal hides. Small bits of chain and lamellar (scale) armor have been found, but may have belonged to invaders.

• Battleaxe (15g; +2/1d10) – +9 (3 (WP) +4 (Str) +1 (class) +1 (feat)) for 1d10+4 (Str).

• 2x Seax (handaxe; 5g; +2/1d6, rng 5/10) – The main reason for Master at Arms instead of Axe Expertise. (Not sure whether the historic seax was balanced for throwing, but the version used by the rangers in the Ranger's Apprentice series is and that's image stuck in my head.)

• Standard Adventurer's Kit (15g)

Powers

• Defender Aura (AW/Min): Adjacent enemies have -2 attack if their attacks don't include you.

• Battle Guardian (AW/OA): Enemy in aura attacks an ally: MBA him. Deal your Str mod in damage on a miss.

• Stances: Hammer Hands, Cleaving Assault

• Power Strike (Enc/Free): Add +1[W] when you hit with an MBA.

• Heroic Effort (Enc/No): Add +4 to a failed attack or save.

Obviously, that's the axe and round shield type of viking. For a two-handed axer I'd go with Slayer with a greataxe for an equally fast character creation. Avenger would probably work well too.

For slayer I'd probably go with stats of 16/14/14/10/10/14, and ditch the knight's armor and weapons (except the seax) for scale armor (so the AC will total 17) and the greataxe, and possibly swap Heal for Streetwise depending on the character's personality.

For Stances I'd take: Berserker's Charge (+2 Speed and attack when charging), and Unfettered Fury (-2 attack for +4 damage). They seem the most Vikingy to me.

The greataxe will be +7 (2 (WP) +3 (Str) +1 (class) +1 (feat)) for 1d12+6 (Slayer add Str and Dex to weapon damage).

At level 4 slayers get a form of Quick Draw (once per turn) so at that point you could swap Master at Arms for Axe Expertise since MaA becomes kind of redundant.

EDIT: So, like they said, pretty much anything can be flavored into a viking depending on what you want to do with the character.

EDIT 2: Forgot the human NAD bonus.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

Hello i figured id post where as its a mixed question

First i am living near sacramento right now and i have been trying to find a D&D group near me to join does anyone know where i can look or is there anyone around Sacramento that does D&D

also i have been trying to build 2 characters full with all abilities and stuff {that way i know what to get when i get to the lvl. it helps me remember}
I would like some ideas or advice/ help on building a viking  

also looking to build a lich king like character as i am a big wow fan..

any advice would be helpful.

i am slowly looking threw the forums to see what i can find when i am more free time from work i might end up posting a character question in the character build area but for right now this will have to do..

so any ideas on the builds and such or maybe even if there is someone who is good at making full character who could help me make it as i havent been that great on building a character 

For Lich King, go epic tier necromancer made from combining elements of the wizard and shaman classes. Instead of summoning a spirit, summon an undead guardian and give him abilities, etc. Give all summoned creatures bonuses, etc. based on wizard and shaman summoning powers found in PHB, PHB 2, Heroes of Shadow, Primal Power, and Arcane Power. Have fun!
Sign In to post comments