black blue zombie control deck????

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i like playing zombies and i would like to make a standard legal zombie control deck, an i would like it to be decent and mabey hold its own in a few local tournies. I really have no starting point for this one so all advice is needed.
That seems a tough one... I can only offer a starting point. I'd go for a beatdown offense using the graveyard to pull some easy ruinators. Try to counter what you can until you can end it perhaps with some heavy hitter like grimgrin... Cards I would use would start with...

armored skaab
screeching skaab
skaab ruinator
diregraf captain
unbreathing horde
gravecrawler
cancel
Grimgrin, Corpse-born
Victim of Night

totally a core idea. I'm at work and can't think too hard on it at the moment... lol
I too was also thinkin gof the beatdown idea so i was thinking on some of the cards i would need and came up with these..
Geralf's Messenger
Gravecrawler
Diregraf Captain
Blood Artist
Phantasmal Image
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

then ofcourse your removal spells and counters from blue. If i am lucky and manage to have messenger diregraf grimgrin and blood artist on the feild messenger comes in thats 2dmg then sack to grimgrin thats 2dmg then he comes back to play and thats another 2dmg in one turn. then i have the phantasmal image to copy messengers. Thats what i got in my head atm let me know what u think.
I had considered the messenger initially but passed solely on the aggro element of the build I considered I felt his cost of triple black may be too limiting in a two color build. If you have enough good dual lands though I'd say hes worth it.  I felt blood artist was too passive and also not a zombie to benefit from the captain so I passed on him as well. Mikaeus as well is a nice beater but being a little fragile and a 6 drop, I again felt him too slow for a good aggro build. You could go midrange with this instead and include him but its just not my style. Laughing
For the record, I had also considered Phylactery Lich but didn't feel like trying to work many artifacts into the build to sustain him.. He would be good in a midrange though.
i can see where you are coming from perhaps i should go midrange and get enough control elements to hold off til i can start getting the bigger stuff working but that did make me think
I came up with a rough list for the deck now this may not all be standard format but its cool i have not really figured out if i want to stick with standard format.
creatures
4x Diregraf Captian
4x Gravecrawler
4x Geralf's Messenger
4x Diregraf Ghoul
4x Blood Artist
2x Phantasmal image
2x Grimgrin, Corpse-Born

other spells
2x tragic slip
2x Mortarpod
4x Distress
2x Doomblade
2x Bone Splinters

Sideboard
4x Mana Leak
2x Ratchet Bomb
2x Victim of Night
2x Negate
2x Surgical Extraction

Mabey cards
Phyrexian Crusader
Endless Ranks of the Undead
Adaptive Automaton
Skirsdag High Priest
Thought Scour

So this is what i got as of now let me know what you think. Now with the mabey card list i kinda like the ability of skirsdag and endless ranks was kinda my idea of a way to feed grimgrin.
Sign In to post comments