10/29/2012 Feature: "An Introduction to Sealed Deck"

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "An Introduction to Sealed Deck", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.  
The link at the end of the article links to the Commanders Arsenal article.

How do I add basic lands to my deck in Sealed Deck Builder?
This Deck was built in 0:22:59

Total Deck Size: 40
17 Lands
---------------
4 Island
7 Plains
5 Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Harbor Bandit
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Primal Clay
1 Veilborn Ghoul
1 War Falcon
1 Welkin Tern
1 Wind Drake

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
1 Jayemdae Tome
2 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

I think adding blue is a must to get Switcheroo and Harbor Bandit. Swapping a token for their best creature is just too good, and having two 3/3 unblockables along with all the fliers makes the deck pretty hard to block against. Ajani's Sunstriker seems a bit of a stretch to put into a 3 color deck, so I didn't fit the card in.

OK, first things first.  I have a bone to pick with you and ALL of the coverage reporters.  Why is there no proofreading?  I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people at 6-2 at the start of round 8, playing Doom Blade on Grave Titans, and other things which are either incorrect or else the reporter really should have mentioned to a judge.  Anyway, since that is not the purpose of this article, I'll let it go.

I disagreed on a few small points of your sealed building primer.  Index is playable under some circumstances.  I have played it to great effect with Talrand on the field.  I even used 3 copies of it to smooth out a fast evasion deck with only 14 lands once.  More importantly, bombs come first.  Everyone does it, and then they say they sorted first, they cut the bad cards first, etc etc.  No they didn't.  You look at your bombs and see how many you can fit into a single deck.  THEN you see if those colors can actually support the game plan necessary to make that bomb effective.

Finally, the example sealed pool is a great one -- some really tough choices in there.  I could absolutely see this being built in Wb, GB, or UBw in addition to the WGr that I ended up with.

This Deck was built in 0:06:10

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
2 Mountain
9 Plains

13 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Crusader of Odric
2 Flinthoof Boar
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Prized Elephant
1 Quirion Dryad
1 War Priest of Thune
2 Yeva's Forcemage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
2 Divine Favor
1 Divine Verdict
1 Farseek
1 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Safe Passage
1 Show of Valor
1 Titanic Growth

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

This Deck was built in 0:07:38

16 Lands
---------------
9 Plains
7 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Falcon
1 War Priest of Thune
1 Warclamp Mastiff

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
1 Safe Passage
1 Show of Valor

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

BW for exalted, swarming, and of course Ajani. I didn't splash Flames of the Firebrand or include Liliana's Shade because of the double Plains cost on a few cards. I picked black over green for the removal. I think I have too many cards with cmc 3 but what to cut?

This Deck was built in 0:12:40

17 Lands
---------------
2 Forest
1 Island
9 Plains
4 Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Harbor Bandit
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Prized Elephant
1 Quirion Dryad
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Falcon
1 Warclamp Mastiff

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Favor
1 Divine Verdict
1 Duress
1 Farseek
1 Safe Passage
1 Show of Valor
1 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

White is the obvious primary color with Ajani and enough exalted guys to make it worthwhile - the exalted theme bleeds into black pretty well, making that a good secondary color. There's not as much removal as I would like, but this deck has enough evasion that it should be able to secure a win before the game goes long enough to need more than a couple pieces of removal. The Harbor Bandit and the Drowned Catacomb make Switcheroo a tempting blue splash for just that reason.

The green splash is does a couple things - activating Prized Elephant isn't irrelevant if you can vault it over your opponent's ground pounders with Ajani. Quirion Dryad isn't going to hit as often as you'd like, but when it does, it's a massive bomb. And if we're already adding a little green, the Farseek is nice.

This is a nice pile of cards with a low curve that can consistently get there in five or six turns, often regardless of what your opponent tries to put in the way. 

I disagreed on a few small points of your sealed building primer.  Index is playable under some circumstances.  I have played it to great effect with Talrand on the field.  I even used 3 copies of it to smooth out a fast evasion deck with only 14 lands once.  More importantly, bombs come first.  Everyone does it, and then they say they sorted first, they cut the bad cards first, etc etc.  No they didn't.  You look at your bombs and see how many you can fit into a single deck.  THEN you see if those colors can actually support the game plan necessary to make that bomb effective.

While I agree that you always keep an eye out for bombs, I think it's also important to keep an eye out and see if your pool can actually support your bombs. I received a Sealed pool with a Trostani and a Niv-Mizzet two weeks ago, neither of which I played (I'll gleefully admit that I had even more bombs to play in my actual deck, but I did look at the other options first). I have significantly improved my Sealed results over the past few years, and I feel this is in a large part because I used to look at my bombs first and then tried to build a deck, and now I have started with the deepest colours and only then started looking at how to get my bombs in.

In my opinion, black/white is the strongest combination here. Ajani combines well with exalted creatures, and there are a couple of great defensive cards. I actually really like Primal Clay here, as I can see myself casting it as all three options. I also fit in Jayemdae Tome for long games, which I should be able to get to.

16 Lands
---------------
11 Plains
5 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Primal Clay
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Falcon
1 War Priest of Thune

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Show of Valor

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
This Deck was built in 0:13:58

17 Lands
---------------
3 Island
7 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Giant Scorpion
2 Harbor Bandit
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 War Falcon
1 Welkin Tern
1 Wind Drake

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Disentomb
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
1 Negate
1 Show of Valor
1 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

at first i wanted to create a black/blue deck revolving around the massive bomb that is the leviathan, and harbor bandits.
leviathan felt too fragile though, and i switched into a more solid deck of black and white, using both knights as excellent 2 drop threats, being backed up by defense creatures like the scorpions. while also keeping up pressure with attended knights and some flyers.
i hope to have done some important damage by now, clearing the way for both harbor bandits. being huge threats as 3/3 unblockables.
bandits will also benefit from the few exalted creatures i'm running, making them even more deadly.

splashing blue gave me acces to some excellent spells such as switcheroo (here, take this 1/1 soldier token)
and black and white provided me some much needed removal. show of valor often fulfilling the role of removing creatures, it was an abvious pick for me.
negate, not so obvious pick. but in my experience it's a very sneaky card. keeping 2 mana open shouldn't really ring any alarms for my opponent, and there is no better feeling than countering that obnoxious o.ring, pacifism, public execution, murder etc etc.

war priest of thune is my primary sideboard card, and i like to keep it sideboarded until i know my opponents runs with enchants, so it's not in my main deck.

some tweaking the lands might be needed, because i need enough islands to make the harbor bandits work, so instead of 3 i might chose 5 islands instead.

Very challenging pool... I reckon I would use all of my deckbuilding time on this trying out different builds.

Bombs: Ajani, Leviathan

Removal: Flames, 2 x Essence Drain, Divine Verdict, 2 x Switcheroo, Crippling Blight

Notable Synergies: harbor bandit + exalted, tokens + switcheroo, veilborn ghoul + switcheroo, ajani's double strike ability + exalted

I went with the deck build which gave me the most synergy and allowed me to run nearly all of my removal: Esper Exalted Control

This Deck was built in 0:05:25

17 Lands
---------------
Island
Plains
Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Guardians of Akrasa
Giant Scorpion
2 Harbor Bandit
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 Veilborn Ghoul
1 War Priest of Thune

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
2 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

Notably I didn't run the lifelinkers. They mess with your mana a lot and frankly with two essence drain, bats, and the healer, I felt I didn't need them. Easy enough to bring them in from the sideboard.

This Deck was built in 0:15:34

17 Lands
---------------
2 Island
6 Plains
8 Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Harbor Bandit
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Liliana's Shade
1 Primal Clay
1 Prized Elephant
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 Veilborn Ghoul
1 Zombie Goliath

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
2 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

My last card cut was the second Harbor Bandit.  It was a close call for me between it and the Healer of the Pride.  With only 2 Islands, I felt the 2/3 lifegainer fit in better than a creature that would usually be a bear.

Great start to the series of articles.  I'm looking forward to next week.       

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
This Deck was built in 0:11:44

22 Lands
---------------
10 Forest
12 Plains

12 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Bond Beetle
1 Centaur Courser
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Deadly Recluse
1 Knight of Glory
1 Prized Elephant
1 Quirion Dryad
1 Vastwood Gorger
1 Warclamp Mastiff

5 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Divine Verdict
1 Farseek
1 Ranger's Path
1 Titanic Growth

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

The link at the end of the article links to the Commanders Arsenal article.

How do I add basic lands to my deck in Sealed Deck Builder?

1. Click the "Add Land" tab along the bottom bar (you may have to go to full screen - "fn"+'f11" - to see this bar).

2. Use the "+" or "-" buttons by each mana symbol to add the appropriate land.  You'll see these added on your Main Deck bar as numbered mana symbols, not as cards.

3. If you choose to use the "Suggest Lands" button, just click "Proceed" to have those added.  Otherwise, just add the lands as detailed in #2.

Hope this helps!

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

17 Lands
---------------
10 Plains
7 Swamp

14 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Primal Clay
1 Servant of Nefarox

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Divine Favor
1 Divine Verdict
1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Essence Drain
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Safe Passage
1 Show of Valor

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

I focused around Ajani with the Sunstrikers, combining them with the exalted guys, some combat tricks, and other life gaining. Guardians of AkrasaDuty-Bound DeadGiant Scorpion keep your opponents creatures on a distance, that's also why I put in the Primal Clay for some defensive flexibility.

Larger flyers could be a problem, that's why I kept the two Essence Drain's.

I had my doubts about Jayemdae Tome, but it's a low curve and since I'm probably defensive a lot you could use your spare mana (when you don't regenerate or cast a defensive combat trick) at the end of your opponents turn.

Also doubting the Elixir of Immortality, but since I didn't have any big flying blockers I thought I put this in instead of another ground defensive creature.

I came up with a classic Black and White Exalted deck.

This Deck was built in 0:04:17

Total Deck Size: 41
18 Lands
---------------
10 Plains
8 Swamp

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Attended Knight
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Priest of Thune
2 Warclamp Mastiff

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Crippling Blight
1 Disentomb
2 Divine Favor
2 Duress
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Safe Passage
1 Show of Valor
1 Vile Rebirth

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

This Deck was built in 0:09:04

Total Deck Size: 41
18 Lands
---------------
10 Plains
8 Swamp

19 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Liliana's Shade
1 Primal Clay
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Falcon
1 War Priest of Thune
2 Warclamp Mastiff
1 Zombie Goliath

3 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
2 Essence Drain

1 Planeswalkers
---------------
Posting here as much so I can remember next week what I thought than for anything else.

This Deck was built in 0:11:28

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
1 Mountain
9 Plains

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bond Beetle
1 Centaur Courser
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Deadly Recluse
2 Flinthoof Boar
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Prized Elephant
1 Vastwood Gorger
1 War Falcon
1 War Priest of Thune
2 Yeva's Forcemage

5 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Divine Verdict
1 Farseek
1 Titanic Growth

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

Notable omissions:
Quirion Dryad - It just didn't seem to be pulling its weight, especially with all the amazing two-drops this pool has
Timberpack Wolf - It's always just a 2/2.  Every two-drop creature in my main is a 2/2 or 2/1 with upside (or green Doom Blade)
One of the Sunstrikers - I had them both out originally to smooth my mana, but I decided it has enough potential upside to play one of the two.  Seemed better than Dryad, which was my last cut.
Guardians of Akrasa - By turn four and every turn after, I want to be jamming at least two creatures sideways
Show of Valor/Divine Favor - Titanic Growth is definitely better and Bond Beetle is maybe better since it's a creature too.  I would side in a Favor for the Bond Beetle if I felt I need the big butt on a dude.
Elf Lord - My Forcemages don't need a lord that badly.
Black - I don't like being 'The Exalted Deck'.  It has significant weaknesses and can race poorly versus well-played removal/chumps.  Black wants me to play islands, and even though I have a catacomb, I don't want to play islands.  Black is slower and clunkier than the green, and rather than helping me splash amazing removal, black's land finding just finds more swamps.  Black's creatures have a lot of activation costs, rather than just doing things when they show up, like the Forcemages.  I like it when my Elephant tramples.

Questionable Inclusions:
Flames/Farseek/Boars/One mountain - This is my red splash package.  I felt it was the best splash available to the deck.  Boars still get to be 2/1's at worst, and sometimes they march right off the top of my library into my opponent's face for three damage.  Flames is excellent removal, especially for such a fast deck.  Sometimes Farseek fetches a Plains so I can cast Ajani.  Perhaps I should have two mountains?
Healer of the Pride - There's not really a ramp or long game package in this deck, outside of Ajani.  Haven't played with this card enough to know if it will pull its weight.  Perhaps I'd rather the Primal Clay?
War Falcon -  I have four sources of Knights and Soldiers, and more than four sources of cards that I always trick myself into thinking they activate this, but don't actually because they are Clerics or Warriors.  This card promises much and lets me down often, but I'll keep risking it.
Ajani, Caller of the Pride - Haha, just kidding.  He's the best bomb in the pool, well-supported in his color, and a great reason to be base white.
Divine Verdict - It's a good piece of bad removal.  It's too bad it's white because Knight of Infamy is a highly-played uncommon that will be problems for me.

17 Lands
---------------
11 Plains
6 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Primal Clay
1 War Falcon 
1 War Priest of Thune

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
1 Duress
2 Essence Drain
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Show of Valor

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

I tried keeping Blue in, and I really wanted to - Ajani is fun with Scroll Thief, Watercourser is fun with Exalted (and Ajani) around, and Switcheroo is just fun in general. It wasn't until I realised I was making myself run Negate over Duress that it occurred to me I was forcing something I didn't really need. With the Blue out, I got to devote a little more to early White, which meant Sunstrikers and War Falcons finally got in.

Then again, with the small White creatures in and things like the Harbor Bandits out, the Black portion of the deck is really only about the same size as the Blue portion outside. One could probably switch the Black out for Blue, almost one-for-one:

17 Lands
---------------
11 Plains
6 Island

15 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Knight of Glory
1 Primal Clay
1 Scroll Thief
1 Stormtide Leviathan
1 War Falcon
1 War Priest of Thune
1 Watercourser
1 Welkin Tern
1 Wind Drake

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Divine Verdict
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Negate
1 Show of Valor
2 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

Losing Knight of Infamy means losing some good early pressure (and support for War Falcon), but I think this version 'tops out' a bit better with Switcheroo and the Leviathan over Essence Drain. I think the core of the deck was already pretty capable of making it in the long game, so it's at least arguable that shifting focus toward it is the better move...

This Deck was built in 0:09:48

17 Lands ---------------
11 Plains
6 Swamp

16 Creatures ---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Primal Clay
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Falcon

6 Other Spells ---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
1 Show of Valor

1 Planeswalkers ---------------

This Deck was built in 0:08:00

18 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
7 Mountain
4 Plains

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Attended Knight
1 Canyon Minotaur
1 Centaur Courser
1 Dragon Hatchling
1 Elvish Archdruid
1 Fire Elemental
2 Flinthoof Boar
1 Goblin Battle Jester
1 Primal Clay
1 Prized Elephant
1 Quirion Dryad
1 Vastwood Gorger
2 Yeva's Forcemage

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Cleaver Riot
1 Divine Verdict
1 Farseek
1 Ranger's Path
1 Titanic Growth
1 Volcanic Strength

The two and three mana drops in RG seem to be pretty good quality and might have enough pressure to finish early. not too sure about splashing white as well as the mini ramp component of the deck.. kept the white cards at higher cmc to ensure i'd have time to draw into the mana.

B/W exalted core with a U splash.  The splash is WELL worth it to both make the Harbor Bandits unblockable and to be able to use the switcheroos.  I may have too many other blue spells, but whatevs.

This Deck was built in 0:34:30

17 Lands
---------------
3 Island
7 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Attended Knight
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Harbor Bandit
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Primal Clay
1 Scroll Thief
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Priest of Thune
1 Welkin Tern
1 Wind Drake

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
2 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Definately a hard pool to draft with several different bombs in different colors, and thin on removal. Wound up with BW exalted, splashed U for the Leviathan,Harbor Bandits. and Switheroo 

17 Lands
---------------
3 Island
7 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Drowned Catacomb

16 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
2 Harbor Bandit
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Liliana's Shade
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 Stormtide Leviathan
1 War Falcon
1 Warclamp Mastiff

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
2 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

Have you read Ishmael? "Teacher seeks pupil, must have an earnest desire to save the world."
With this article being a primer on how to execute on sealed deckbuilding, I'm curious on how one executes on the first few steps?

You mention to remove the unplayable cards.  What is the advice for recognizing an unplayable card?  Are there certain askpects about cards that make them unplayable in sealed versus other formats?

Then you separate by cards you would definately play and cards that are on the fence.  How do you recognize what cards you would definately play?  Are there guidelines for this?  Cost versus power?  Evasion?  Removal?  Etc.

Perhaps this abilty to evaluate cards is what makes the difference between a good and a great sealed deck builder, and not the process itself?

.....update....perhaps that is what you intend to enlighten us on in the future articles....

This Deck was built in 0:24:59

18 Lands
---------------
9 Plains
9 Swamp

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Liliana's Shade
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 Veilborn Ghoul

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
1 Safe Passage
1 Show of Valor

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

I almost made a GU Ramp deck until I realized I just wanted to use omniscience. I would end up forcing a decent deck when I could just build a better deck.

This Deck was built in 0:14:48

18 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
2 Mountain
11 Plains

14 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Deadly Recluse
2 Flinthoof Boar
1 Knight of Glory
1 Quirion Dryad
1 War Falcon
2 Warclamp Mastiff
2 Yeva's Forcemage

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Cleaver Riot
1 Divine Verdict
1 Farseek
1 Krenko's Command
1 Titanic Growth

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

10 Plains
7 Swamp
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Pillarfield Ox
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Falcon
1 War Priest of Thune
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
2 Essence Drain
1 Show of Valor

This was actually a relatively easy pool to build for me, because it had an obvious theme/strategy present in the cards.

Ajani Double Strike + Lifelink + Exalted = Winning!

This Deck was built in 0:03:25

17 Lands
---------------
10 Plains
7 Swamp

14 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Bloodhunter Bat
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Duty-Bound Dead
2 Giant Scorpion
1 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Knight of Glory
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 War Priest of Thune

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
1 Duress
2 Essence Drain
1 Safe Passage
1 Show of Valor

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

I opted not to splash colors because there were already plenty of good, synergistic cards just in B/W. 

Builds and Guides The Cosmonaut a build that teleports foes into space. November Errata Item Guide a guide to equipping Avengers and Strikers after the November errata. 100% Crit Rate Ardent Champion an Avenger combo that autocrits and/or inflicts infinite damage at level 11.
With this article being a primer on how to execute on sealed deckbuilding, I'm curious on how one executes on the first few steps?

You mention to remove the unplayable cards.  What is the advice for recognizing an unplayable card?  Are there certain askpects about cards that make them unplayable in sealed versus other formats?

Then you separate by cards you would definately play and cards that are on the fence.  How do you recognize what cards you would definately play?  Are there guidelines for this?  Cost versus power?  Evasion?  Removal?  Etc.

Perhaps this abilty to evaluate cards is what makes the difference between a good and a great sealed deck builder, and not the process itself?

.....update....perhaps that is what you intend to enlighten us on in the future articles....

This is a very deep subject, about which huge amounts can be written. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to try to help you but it varies a lot from format to format, for one thing.

For instance, I'm rather significantly experienced in RTR Sealed, so I can tell you that it's very important that your defensive creatures are able to block 3 power guys, and that you have ways to win against 4 toughness blockers. Also, you can be pretty sure no one will be playing mega-aggro Rakdos with multiple one-drops and Deviant Glees - they just aren't likely to get enough of them to complete a deck. So as a result you plan for a slightly slower environment, and you can safely assume you'll get to higher mana costs than in draft. Deviant Glee in draft - excellent. Deviant Glee in sealed - not very good, because it likely isn't going to 'get there' before your opponent stabilizes, since your deck won't likely have enough other early pressure to support it. 

On the other end, a spell like Horncaller's Chant might be in your deck. Unplayable in draft (8 mana!) but there's a reasonably good chance you can get to 8 in Sealed, so you may want to include one. 8 power is a lot of trample power. 

The basic rules of card evaluation that apply to all sets are essentially thus:
1. Does it kill many creatures in the format? Good.
2. Does it attack past most creatures in the format, or successfully block most creatures in the format? In either case, good. If neither case, bad.
3. Does it have a direct impact on the board? If not, it is probably bad (Chronic Flooding, for instance, doesn't impact the board itself at all). 

But learning the exceptions is the tricky part. 
This Deck was built in 0:30:24

18 Lands
---------------
1 Forest
7 Island
10 Plains

17 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Crusader of Odric
1 Healer of the Pride
1 Knight of Glory
1 Prized Elephant
1 Quirion Dryad
1 Scroll Thief
1 Stormtide Leviathan
1 War Falcon
2 Warclamp Mastiff
1 Watercourser
1 Welkin Tern
1 Wind Drake

4 Other Spells
---------------
1 Captain's Call
1 Divine Verdict
2 Switcheroo

1 Planeswalkers
---------------

I saw the mostly usefull cards in white and green, and put a red splash.

The Flinthood Boar wasn't a good choice, because Driad needs non green to grow-up and there is too much 2 mana cards in deck.

The deck is around Ajani, with a weird try to use the Elfs to generate mana early enought to use the Cleaver Riot. Maybe Captain's Call could be better, but I like to try something weird...

This Deck was built in 0:12:28

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
2 Mountain
9 Plains

15 Creatures
---------------
2 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Attended Knight
1 Battleflight Eagle