Confused with saving throws

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Page 279 of Players handbook Saving throws.  It says that a roll lower than a 10 is a failure  and that 10 or higher is a success. But saving throw scores can be higher than 10 and they increase by levels.  It seems to me that a roll lower than a Save score is a success.. Why else would it go higher? It looks like that characters are being punished with higher save throws.  SO say if you have a fort os say 14.. and you do a roll The lower you roll is better so  example I roll a 8 with a fort of 14 means a success.. But a roll of say 18 is a failure.

Does that make sense? Am I wrong on this assumption?  or am I missing something?
You are applying rules from previous editions to 4e. Don't do that, and it makes a lot more sense.
You're missing, well, everything.

Saving Throws are no longer a defensive aspect of a character.  Those are static defenses, that the attack must roll against to hit a character.  The attacker rolls his attack roll, compares it to the appropriate defense (AC, Fortitude, Reflex, or Will), and if he meets or exceeds that number, he hits the character.

There is no such thing as rolling a Fort save, Reflex save, or Will save.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
OK.. now I am really confused. If there are no such thing as a save then why are there Saving Throws? AC is a defensive stat. How are the Saving throws not? You first say "no longer a defensive aspect" then say "compares it to the appropriate defense" sounds hypocritical.

If saves are always based on 10 or more for a success then why have a saving throw score at all? 
OK.. now I am really confused. If there are no such thing as a save then why are there Saving Throws? AC is a defensive stat. How are the Saving throws not? You first say "no longer a defensive aspect" then say "compares it to the appropriate defense" sounds hypocritical.

If saves are always based on 10 or more for a success then why have a saving throw score at all? 

Sigh.

Forget everything about previous editions, OK? Definitions. Meaning. Rules. None of them apply.

Now, you have four defenses. AC, Fort, Ref, Will. A given attack will specifically say which defense it targets. You roll a d20, add any relevant modifiers, and compare that number to the defense. Equal or higher? Grats, you hit. So I have, say, +7 to attack. I use an attack power that targets Will, my target has a will of 12. I roll a 10, that is 17 total. I hit.

Do you see saving throws mentioned anywhere in there? No. Because while saving throws exist in 4e, they have nothing at all to do with defenses or attacks.

What exists are conditions, like ongoing damage, dazed, stunned, etc., that can be (Save Ends). If you have a condition on you that is (Save Ends) you roll to save at the end of your turn. 10+? Condition ends. 9 or lower? Condition doesn't end.

Really. 4e is in nearly in every way different from previous editions. Just forget every rule you know from any other edition, it'll only confuse you.

Fort, Reflex, and Will aren't saves. They are static defenses just like AC. Saving throws are completely separate.
Saving Throws are now a measure of duration.

Any attack which would have required a saving throw in a previous edition now targets a defense. If an attack would have required a Reflex save for half damage in a previous edition, it probably rolls against Reflex in 4E.

This was done so that the player was in control of all attacks that they made and to increase transparency.

AC, Fortitude, Reflex and Will are defenses.  They are not, in any way, related to saving throws anymore.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I see now.. I misunderstood how Defenses relate to saving throws. Saves are for "save ends" rolls.
And only save ends rolls.  With a few minor exceptions, at least, but those are called out in specific powers and such.

Saving throws are the 4e equivalent of things like "1d4 rounds."  They're a randomized duration mechanic.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sign In to post comments