Is there a regen build out there?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking through for a new feat for level 24 and I came upon Rapid Regeneration ... if you have regen then increase it by your Con mod.

That could be a pretty powerful deal if you have a high con mod. Is there a build out there with full time (or close to it) regen that can benefit from this? 
Longtooth Shifter
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Longtooth shifter is a race, not a build. DO you have a specific build that focuses on regen?
The best class for handing regeneration out is a shaman so I think the best bet would be for a shaman with regeneration powers and his allies to take this. 

I have been meaning to add a build like that, but haven't got around to it.

A con warden is probably your best bet for a single class build that is not a shifter and gives itself regeneration.  Fighter, chaladin, swordmage, barbarian, and a few other classes have multiple regen powers and like having a high con.
The problem with regen builds is that they don't handle anything but damage - which is an especially huge problem in epic, where things hit you for dominate.

I'd take Epic Will over Rapid Regeneration any day.
I'm not sure there's a reason a regen build wouldn't take Superior Will, in addition to regeneration goodies, particularly by Epic.
I'm not sure there's a reason a regen build wouldn't take Superior Will, in addition to regeneration goodies, particularly by Epic.

Yeah, Superior Will is a given, it's just about a tax feat for epic characters, he's just saying he would rather take Epic Will over Rapid Regen.

If the build happens to have the right stuff, then Rapid Regen is fine. It's best if you have combined it with resistance and/or THP's for increased self resilience, where the small bits can add up. A Longtooth Earth Warden or battlerager might pick it up, because you know, why not. But I wouldn't build around regeneration, it's resource intensive and ultimately not very worthwhile by itself.
Longtooth shifter is a race, not a build. DO you have a specific build that focuses on regen?

We've given you the pieces. Man up and make something yourself isntead of copying.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

We've given you the pieces. Man up and make something yourself isntead of copying.

Suuure "longtooth shifter" as a comment is really giving someone all the tools to make a build. *rolls eyes* Don't take his reply out of context.
Of course it does. There are no regen builds. Its something you tack on.
Char Op: where it takes three posts to say what you should have said in the first post instead of being snarky. =D

Or while being snarky.  I think Improved Snark is feat tax for posting here... 
Longtooth shifter + Blood Fury Weapon.  Staple it onto any build and it works. 
Longtooth shifter + Blood Fury Weapon.  Staple it onto any build and it works. 

This. I wasn't being snarky. I was being perfectly direct.
Okay, what about a longtooth shfiter warden MC battlemind, wielding a blood-fury weapon, with Longtooth Spirit Shifter, Psychic Feast and Plagued Regeneration. Maximize your regeneration and do some auto-damage to adjacent enemies. while you're at it. Sadly, doesn't pop minions.

I'd rather play a straight warden, but if you really want something that focuses on regen, this might work.

The problem is that regen scales horribly.
If you are doing a warden you don't actually have to be a shifter since we are talking epic and they can take reincarnate champion.
True, but longtooth shifter is required for all three of those feats.

Basically, I'm trying to come at this from an angle of "is there something interesting you can do with regeneration in addition to regaining hit points". Thus far, all I've found is the Plagued Regeneration feat, to kick out damage when you regen.

The other idea that's working on the periphery of my brain is Armor of Sudden Recovery. Is there something where ongoing damage is the cost of doing something awesome, and then you make it work for you with the Armor's daily. But I'm not coming up with anything.
The other idea that's working on the periphery of my brain is Armor of Sudden Recovery. Is there something where ongoing damage is the cost of doing something awesome, and then you make it work for you with the Armor's daily. But I'm not coming up with anything.

Destiny Inversion, Warlock U10. Throw yourself at the biggest brute you can find and watch the fountain of regen happen.
At epic tier with a high con, you can afford to drink a potion of regen 5 pretty much every encounter. High con defenders usually end the day with at several extra healing surges.

Destiny Inversion, Warlock U10. Throw yourself at the biggest brute you can find and watch the fountain of regen happen.

I think 2 feats for multiclass warlock -> power swap is worth it for that. Add on the +con regen feat and you probably have about 25 regen. Add on plauged regeneration, and your defenser just gained an aura of insane auto damage. If you're a fighter, feel free to add on rain of steel.

You could also multiclass power swap clerics Stream of life. Use armor to turn it's damage into regen (rule lawyering may apply). The feats make this regen ~10 and damage ~10, but you can now give allies hitpoints forever.

At epic tier with a high con, you can afford to drink a potion of regen 5 pretty much every encounter. High con defenders usually end the day with at several extra healing surges.

I think 2 feats for multiclass warlock -> power swap is worth it for that. Add on the +con regen feat and you probably have about 25 regen. Add on plauged regeneration, and your defenser just gained an aura of insane auto damage. If you're a fighter, feel free to add on rain of steel.

You could also multiclass power swap clerics Stream of life. Use armor to turn it's damage into regen (rule lawyering may apply). The feats make this regen ~10 and damage ~10, but you can now give allies hitpoints forever.

Regarding Destiny Inversion - Bravo! Works perfect! Well done. Worth noting that this simple combo works well as just a warlock with armor, you don't really have to mix in all the shifter stuff, and you get some great survivability for an encounter.

Stream of Life was my first thought, but it doesn't really work well. It only gives the healing when you take the ongoing damage.

You could potentially pass around/buff the ongoing damage using Betrayal of Body before turning it into regen, though that would imply that:

1. Your allies would need to suffer the (increasing) damage

2. Your allies would need to pick up that feat aswell

Depending on the damage type (resistances ftw) and your party setup this may or may not be a viable option, adding on +20 regen, assuming a party of 5 PC's
You could potentially pass around/buff the ongoing damage using Betrayal of Body before turning it into regen, though that would imply that:

1. Your allies would need to suffer the (increasing) damage

2. Your allies would need to pick up that feat aswell

Depending on the damage type (resistances ftw) and your party setup this may or may not be a viable option, adding on +20 regen, assuming a party of 5 PC's

That could be interesting if you set it up before the fight, and then the defender charges in with 40 something regen.
I created a build based around those feats a while back: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I never fully fleshed it out and I am sure there are better items, feats and/or powers since it is pretty out of date, but the thread has several full 30th level builds and boasted a regen rate of 17 and dealt 24 necrotic, radiant and fire damage to any adjacent creature whenever the regen triggered.

It seems to fit exactly what you are looking for.