Best Mono-Green deck in current standard?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi!

I guess going Mono-green isn't the strongest type of decks in this current standard format. But I enjoy playing green, so I was wondering which setups for mono-green you guys think are the best you can play if you have to limit yourself to only that colour?
Which mono-green decks are people having some success with and which cards are a must?

Thanks guys!
Hi!

I guess going Mono-green isn't the strongest type of decks in this current standard format. But I enjoy playing green, so I was wondering which setups for mono-green you guys think are the best you can play if you have to limit yourself to only that colour?
Which mono-green decks are people having some success with and which cards are a must?

Thanks guys!

mono green deck should probably just be selesyna deck, more options and the mana basically a free roll. 

that being said, if you scroll down close to the bottom of this page:
www.wizards.com/magic/Digital/MagicOnlin...

maybe this is an idea you'd be in favor of  

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

4 Thragtusk
56 Forest

4 Lost in the Woods
4 Thragtusk
4 Rancor
48 Forest

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

1 Lost in the woods
60 Forest 

I like this, but I think this idea would be better

1 Lost in the Woods
4 Thragtusk
56Forest

Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
1 Lost in the woods
60 Forest 

I like this, but I think this idea would be better

1 Lost in the Woods
4 Thragtusk
56Forest

This guy gets it.

(at)MrEnglish22

Hi!

Thanks guys!

mono green deck should probably just be selesyna deck, more options and the mana basically a free roll. 

that being said, if you scroll down close to the bottom of this page:
www.wizards.com/magic/Digital/MagicOnlin...

maybe this is an idea you'd be in favor of  

Thanks!
That deck is quite similar to what I had in mind and want to play.

jeez, at least i posted something helpful for the guy

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I think you're missing the point here.

Amusing ourselves > being helpful.  And making game balance/ISD block limited references is pretty amusing.

Oh, speaking of which:

48 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetary
4 Pack Rat 

lol this deck is so bad. You only have 8 lands that cast your spells reliably. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I think you're missing the point here.

Amusing ourselves > being helpful.  And making game balance/ISD block limited references is pretty amusing.

Oh, speaking of which:

48 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetary
4 Pack Rat 

lol this deck is so bad. You only have 8 lands that cast your spells reliably. 

It's not MY fault he insisted on being mono-green...

You don't even have Rancors. With hard to answer Pack Rat, why not have hard to answer Rancor? Or that Worldspine Wurm that goes back into your deck? At least then you have your endgame.

On an unrelated note, you hear that anecdote about how Owen Durdlewad was in a side event at the recent GP and his deck was 2 pack rat and 38 swamps? He ended up doing better with that than his orignal draft deck. 

(at)MrEnglish22

The only viable mono-color deck I know of is mono-red, and even that is questionable.  You simply sacrifice too many options by limiting your deck to one color; you lose too much versatility. 

That said, if you still want to play mono-Green no matter what, here's my attempt at making a mono-Green deck as playable as it can be in Standard. 

Critique welcome, still getting the hang of deckbuilding. 

Green.deck:

Creatures: x19
x4 Arbor Elf
x3 Strangleroot Geist
x3 Splinterfright
x4 Wolfir Silverheart
x2 Vorapede
x1 Kessig Cagebreakers
x1 Silklash Spider
x1 Elderscale Wurm

Planeswalkers: x5
x3 Garruk, Primal Hunter
x2 Garruk Relentless

Removal: x4
x4 Prey Upon

Buffs: x10
x4 Rancor
x2 Increasing Savagery
x4 Mulch

Lands: x22

x16 Forest
x4 Cavern of Souls
x2 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard: x15
x2 Crushing Vines - Fliers, artifacts.
x2 Sundering Growth - Enchants like Detention Sphere.
x4 Dryad Militant - When a more aggressive curve is needed.
x3 Grafdigger's Cage - Undying, Reanimator, Snapcaster, etc.
x2 Witchbane Orb - Against Bonfire, Red Burn, etc.
x2 Pithing Needle - Planeswalkers.

The basic plan is to Rancor up and be aggressive. 

What the deck does:

- Our primary win con is smashing our opponent with massive Trample damage.  This is accomplished by the combination of Silverheart and either a large Splinterfright, a Vorapede, or any midsize creature with Rancor on it.
- Our secondary win con is to self mill an Increasing Savagery, then use it as a kill shot with a Trampler (possibly in combination with the above).
- Garruk, Primal Hunter adds staying power.  He is a threat by himself, but he can also be a win condition by drawing a new hand with his -3 in concert with any large creature.  A Rancor'd Silverheart draws you 10 cards.
- Garruk Relentless is basically a toolkit.  He's removal, creature generation, a tutor mechanic for our utility creatures, and a potential win con in one.
- Arbor Elf and Mulch accelerate the deck and make sure we hit our 5 drops.   Mulch populates our graveyard.
- Strangleroot Geist and Vorapede resist removal and are sac targets for Garruk Relentless.
- Kessig Cagebreakers is a wild card; it can potentially be a huge bomb if you have a full graveyard.
- The Spider and the Wurm are utility creatures to be tutored up by Garruk.  The Spider is our answer to Entreat the Angels and other large fliers; the Wurm can in some cases delay an opponent.

Noticably absent is Thragtusk.  I don't feel like mono-Green has the staying power to beat the dedicated flicker deck in an attrition match, even with a Thragtusk of it's own.  I decided to omit it and construct a deck that tries to go with a more over the top aggressive route.
Builds and Guides The Cosmonaut a build that teleports foes into space. November Errata Item Guide a guide to equipping Avengers and Strikers after the November errata. 100% Crit Rate Ardent Champion an Avenger combo that autocrits and/or inflicts infinite damage at level 11.