Is sneak attack damage divided by 2 when you DW?

I'll try here. The relevant rules:
DW Benefit: you can make two attacks as an action, one with each weapon. All the damage of each of these attacks is halved.

Deadly Strike: Benefit: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can spend expertise dice to add to the attack’s damage against that creature. Roll any expertise die you spend in this way, and add its result to the damage. If the attack is a critical hit, maximize the expertise die.

Sneak Attack: Benefit: Once per round, you can deal Sneak Attack damage to a creature that you hit with an attack. To deal this extra damage, you must have advantage against the creature.

Critical Hit: If your attack is a critical hit, it deals maximum damage. Treat all the damage dice you roll, including bonus dice from abilities such as Sneak Attack, as if you rolled their maximum results.

It's unclear to me right now if sneak attack work the same way as deadly strike in regard to dual wield. Meaning that it's clear that the damage you add with deadly strike is divided by 2, the damage you do with sneak attack might not be divided by 2. Was that mentionned and confirmed somewhere? If that's the case, at least the DW option would be very good for rogues, upgrading their damage in a worthwhile way.

All damage is all damage.

If sneak attack wasn't halved, this would be a completely overpowered option. 

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

I don't know why you'd say that.  Sneak Attack can be used only once per round.  It's not with every hit.  So, dual-wield rogues are worthless, because their Sneak Attack is now worth half as much as another rogue's.  For the dual wielder to maintain parity, he'd need to get full SA damage on one hit, or he'd need to get half SA damage on two hits.
Two Weapon Fighting says all the damage of each of these attacks is halved. This should include damage that it added to them, such as Deadly Strike or Sneak Attack.

The point of this Feat is not so much to increase lethality but versatility.
In all fairness, things like deadly strike and sneak attack should not be halved by this feat. You have a maximum of X damage with such abilities, no matter how many times you hit in a round. If you hit twice, you can still only sneak attack once. Merely increasing the statistical probability that you will be able to use that sneak attack at least once seems pretty fair, and does not seem overpowered in the least.

I don't know why you'd say that.  Sneak Attack can be used only once per round.  It's not with every hit.  So, dual-wield rogues are worthless, because their Sneak Attack is now worth half as much as another rogue's.  For the dual wielder to maintain parity, he'd need to get full SA damage on one hit, or he'd need to get half SA damage on two hits.

You'd have twice as many opportunities to apply it, that's why.  Which is a straight DPR increase.  Which is what DW is not supposed to be.

They should get half SA damage on two hits as part of the "same" SA usage.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I am torn on the half damage for everything, but I also understand the specialty is available to all classes. But since martial characters are better at melee than spell casters, they should be able to gain more benefit from weapon styles and feats. So hopefully later on with additional feat selections or class abilties, the martial character will see better use of two-weapon fighting.
They cant really go with something like do sneak attack twice and divide by 2, it's not a good design and can lead to having many exceptions.

A rogue striking with advantage as a maximum of 14.75 dpr or so right now. The same rogue using 2 SS with advantage and striking twice will have something like 15.96 dpr. That's not counting rounding down of attacks (will lower dpr a bit more) and that assume both strike are at the same time and the rogue choose on which one to put sneak attack.

For fighter, a 18 str human using a 2-h and deadly strike will do around 9.5 dpr.
Going DW, human 18 dex, 2 ss, will do less then 8.54 (once you factor rounding down) so you lose 1 DPR. If you divide DS by 2, might as well not bother with this char at all since you will do less then 6.77 dpr. Striking with advantage the gap is wider in favor of 2-h.

That's not counting the fact that the char not going for DW can take other feats. The +1 ac is decent but since you barely beat the dpr of someone going 1-h + shield in the first place it's not stellar.

So basically the DW option cannot exist if you divide DS and/or SA by 2. I'm pretty sure eventually it will get clarification in that regard.

Just don't attack with both weapons when you sneak attack.

From my experience I think you should get full Deadly Strike or Sneak attack damage. The accuracy bonus you get is partially negated by using worse weapons and rounding fractions down. 

If you halve the bonus damage, then the only time it is worth using the double strike is if you are fighting minions or if the enemy only has a few HP left. It doesn't seem worth choosing the specialty for fighters when they can use expertise dice for damage on a miss or a cleaving attack. 

Rogues are a bit different, but I still feel like the main reason why you would chose 2 weapon fighting right now is flavor. If you want to optimize your character, you really should pick something else. 

Sign In to post comments