Ed's "player pack" should be part of the D&DN char sheet

"On those pages are a quick overview of what skills the character knows, family heritage (any "important" relatives, plus where known kin live), any local friends or enemies, tutors/former bosses/current bosses (for those PCs who have "day jobs"), plus interesting stuff that person has heard (old legends of buried treasure, hushed-up local scandals, other adventure hooks), important NPCs the character has met (local rulers or envoys, sages or wizards), nearby temples and shrines, and the like."

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/f...
So... it's a quest log?
No. A questlog are your notes you take WHILE adventuring. Ed's suggestion proposes a lot of infos your char knows BEFORE he starts adventuring.
No. A questlog are your notes you take WHILE adventuring. Ed's suggestion proposes a lot of infos your char knows BEFORE he starts adventuring.

With other words: the DM is creating the background for MY character. No,thanks

It would be better to work out that stuff together, as a group, so that you can create ties between each character's sheets.  The priest who saved me from poverty is the same one whose temple was taken over by your abusive mentor.  Your father's half-sister lives in the town where Bob is wanted for aiding and abetting an orc's escape.  The orc is now a blacksmith for the temple of the aforementioned priest, and he's working on a commission for your father.  Etc.

A place on the offical character sheets to write these connections down would be awesome.
"On those pages are a quick overview of what skills the character knows, family heritage (any "important" relatives, plus where known kin live), any local friends or enemies, tutors/former bosses/current bosses (for those PCs who have "day jobs"), plus interesting stuff that person has heard (old legends of buried treasure, hushed-up local scandals, other adventure hooks), important NPCs the character has met (local rulers or envoys, sages or wizards), nearby temples and shrines, and the like."

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/f...

I actually have used this idea many times through the years, and to great effect. It's not creating your characters background, it's letting the player know some of the world's important info before the game starts. I'll give an example.

Let's say the king of the land is "King Harold Lane of Eastmarch". He is a legendary figure that reunited two warring nations under a common banner and brought peace to the land. He is highly respected and revered throughout the land, and treated as a saint by many.

This gives the player (not character) insight into the world so he can decide how he feels about particular issues and people. They will feel like they have a real opinion on these things, knowing all the facts instead of just an off the cuff "Is he human? Well then I don't like him" response. In turn this gets people into the world, and into the game, and something like that is invaluable. The point is that the DM isn't deciding, he is merely giving the players the information to decide for themselves.
My two copper.
Or you could have 'background generator' set up like they did back in 1e with the Oriental Adventures where you had to 'generate' a background for those types of characters.