10/26/2012 LD: Return to Multiverse

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Tabak 1/26: Continuing the proud Broodmate Dragon tradition of having a peculiarly monocolored token.

C'mon, did noone pointed out that the two creature colors made a creature that is trumped hard by Grave Titan or Wurmcoil Engine? I acept the wurm if the idea was to cool down the power creep.

KEN 11/15/2011: Storm!! EOT Sprouting Vines nom nom nom.
DB 11/15: hrmm, storm, just what we want to make better.

Did you guys foresaw it was going to be way too good in Modern?

Sometimes trying a sorcery as an instant provides a fun new angle for the card. Sometimes it creates a green removal spell that attacks back.

The MORE reason to make it instant then. Is it bad when the green player leaves mana open and IS actually holding a trick?
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
"Sometimes it creates a green removal spell that attacks back."

I lol'd....
Now you guys have to make a card named "Gimme Some Boar" in the next Un-set.
Yay! Multiverse!

Good to see someone at Wizards agrees with me about it being a good Dev column
M:tG Rules Advisor
Agreed, Uh Oh Rhino and Gimme Some Boar were both great names.  Too bad those couldn't have made it into to set for real.
Yay, Multiverse columns. Would like to see a bit more here: there were just 11 paragraphs written by Sam here, and many of those just a single sentence or two. Hopefully Gatecrash can bring some more.

I'm amused by the point that Dracogenius is a card-drawing Masticore.

And then reading the thread, I'm slightly terrified that people (well, okay, maybe just javert) are sad that Armada Wurm only provides 10 power of trample for 6 mana.
WANT TO BUY SECRET GATE
And then reading the thread, I'm slightly terrified that people (well, okay, maybe just javert) are sad that Armada Wurm only provides 10 power of trample for 6 mana.

Same here. I think Armada Wurm continues the proud tradition of mythic power creep and that it certainly doesn't represent a toning down of the creature power.

Otherwise, I like the column. Multiverse comments are always fun.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

Same here. I think Armada Wurm continues the proud tradition of mythic power creep and that it certainly doesn't represent a toning down of the creature power.

Oh, please agree that the Wurm looks underpowered when compared with previous cards. Grave Titan is 10 power for 6 mana or even 14 power if it gets to attack; Wurmcoil is 12 power for 6 colorless mana, 9 of them with lifelink. Put an Armada Wurm against either one of them: who played the creature with most colored mana and from the colors specialized on creatures? Who has the better board? How isn't that toning down the power creep?

Again, I'm satisfied with the Armada Wurm as long as it is a top creature compared with the current cards. If there comes a new six mana Simic creature on par with Titans and makes Armada looks like weaksauce, I'm mad; but that's a topic for the future set speculation. For now, I admit and thank Wizards the Selesnya guild is well represented both on Constructed and Limited alike.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited

Oh, please agree that the Wurm looks underpowered when compared with previous cards. Grave Titan is 10 power for 6 mana or even 14 power if it gets to attack; Wurmcoil is 12 power for 6 colorless mana, 9 of them with lifelink. Put an Armada Wurm against either one of them: who played the creature with most colored mana and from the colors specialized on creatures? Who has the better board? How isn't that toning down the power creep?

Again, I'm satisfied with the Armada Wurm as long as it is a top creature compared with the current cards. If there comes a new six mana Simic creature on par with Titans and makes Armada looks like weaksauce, I'm mad; but that's a topic for the future set speculation. For now, I admit and thank Wizards the Selesnya guild is well represented both on Constructed and Limited alike.

Is it better (by virtue of being worse) than the Titans? Definitely. Especially because it's in the creature colours and the Titans were just an offense against the colour wheel. However, it still continues the trend of unmythic mythics (Armada Wurm is only a mythic because it's very powerful, not because it otherwise feels mythic) and of mythics that are simply incomparable to any normal creature. Compare Armada Wurm to any non-mythic card in that mana cost slot and it's still ridiculous. That's my problem with it. As much as I, as not much of a Spike, like to see Spike also fume at mythics, I want to be able to play mythics in normal decks with commons and uncommons and not feel completely silly.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I've read a lot of people who thought this card would be better as a sorcery. Well, it was at one point, and the decision was made that it fit better as an instant for interactive control decks, rather than over-incentivizing tap-out control.

THANK YOU to whoever who contributed to that decision. I am a control player and I hate how they expect us to play tap out control. I hardly consider tap-out control decks as "control".

Also, are people really complaining about Armada Wurm being below the curve? AND using a Titan and Wurmcoil Engine as a comparison basis. Wow.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

I feel like Horncaller's Chant doesn't really contribute much to the set, so I'm a little disappointed that it's only in because of a playtest name that we don't even get to see.  Rhino tokens are almost identical to wurm tokens: same color, same keyword, almost the same size.  Horncaller's Chant is the only card in the set that makes them, and it's only marginally playable - did we really need the extra complexity of an additional type of token?

I think the card would be significantly improved if it made a centaur token, then populated twice.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I'm hoping the third set contains a common that makes a single rhino for 4G or something, because as you say it's a bit of a waste for a token to only appear on this. I'm always happy to play one in the Axebane Guardian deck though.
Another poorly linked forum. I always thought if they did detain, it would include black. It is far more like kidnapping or false inpisonment. And it ties back to old school black cards that did this stuff before min/max said just kill it and get it over with. Detain is best for commander where detaining a commander is relevent. Too bad it wasn't black, but at least it exists.
Not only is the article poorly linked, there is no entry for the article on the forum (that I could see).

That aside, I liked the article.  I like detain quite a bit but it is just too bad there is really only one usable detain card for actual detaining (Martial Law).  Everything else is either expensive or one time use.  Of course as Wizards doesn't want to set control up real well that only makes sense.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)