How exactly does Rakdos, Lord of Riots work?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm considering putting Rakdos, Lord of Riotss in my Rakdos deck, but I'm not 100% sure on how he works.  I know that it can't be brought out unless damage is done to a player that turn.  Fair enough.  It's the creatures cost reduction that I don't quite understand.

Let's say that after my draw phase, I have the following cards in my hand:
Bump in the Night, Rakdos, Lord of Riots, Hellhole Flailer, Rakdos Shred-Freak, Rakdos Shred-Freak, and Ash Zealot.

Let's say I play a Bump in the Night (assume it isn't countered) that hits the opposing player for 3 damage.  Then, let's assume that I still have enough lands left to play Rakdos, Lord of Riots.  Does playing Rakdos, Lord of Riots on that turn mean that any and all cards in my hand with a Converted Mana Cost of 3 or less are free to play that turn?  Like, could I play the Hellhole Flailer, both Rakdos Shred-Freaks, and the Ash Zealot that were in my hand without having to spend any extra mana at all?

Summary, I pay a total of only to bring out Bump in the Night, Rakdos, Lord of Riots, Hellhole Flailer, two Rakdos Shred-Freaks, and an Ash Zealot on the same turn?

Or am I misunderstanding the card's meaning?

Thanks

SG
No, Rakdos only reduces costs by generic mana. You still need to pay all the colored mana for them. It will only save you 1 mana total on that selection of creatures.

Also, there are some issues with loss of life vs. damage in your explanation. Damage causes loss of life, but Rakdos only cares about loss of life. Bump doesn't do any damage, it just causes loss of life. The result for that part is the same though.
All Generalizations are Bad
No, Rakdos only reduces costs by generic mana. You still need to pay all the colored mana for them. It will only save you 1 mana total on that selection of creatures.

Also, there are some issues with loss of life vs. damage in your explanation. Damage causes loss of life, but Rakdos only cares about loss of life. Bump doesn't do any damage, it just causes loss of life. The result for that part is the same though.

AH HA!  Thank you for the clarification!  I had a feeling that might be the case, but seeing as Rakdos, Lord of Riots is the guild leader, I figured he might be a little stronger than just reducing casting cost by one generic mana for any card.  He'd fit very well into artifact decks, but I can't really think of any other place he'd be worth the price both in mana and real money.

SG
He is also a 6/6 flying trample for 4, but yes, it's tricky to take advantage of his ability because you need both cheap cards to allow you to cast him and expensive creatures to take advantage of his ability.
All Generalizations are Bad

AH HA!  Thank you for the clarification!  I had a feeling that might be the case, but seeing as Rakdos, Lord of Riots is the guild leader, I figured he might be a little stronger than just reducing casting cost by one generic mana for any card.  He'd fit very well into artifact decks, but I can't really think of any other place he'd be worth the price both in mana and real money.

it's not just 1 generic mana
in your case it would be up to , but your spells only had to reduce

proud member of the 2011 community team
it's not just 1 generic mana
in your case it would be up to , but your spells only had to reduce

You are 100% correct.  But, most Rakdos decks that I've seen built contain cards with converted mana costs no higher than four... most of which don't use much generic mana (maybe ) for their creatures.  If you were say... running a Monogreen or G/B Golgari deck where you could ramp FAST with green and splash a little red in there to get Rakdos, Lord of Riots out, then he'd probably be very useful.  Monogreen and probably most Golgari decks run HUGE creatures because they can ramp so fast.  But, several of those creatures have decently high generic mana costs in addition to their actual color cost.  Unfortunately, most Rakdos decks don't.  Again, the ones that I've seen are very fast Aggro/Burn decks versus the Beatdowns you'll find in Monogreen or Golgari.

SG
I'm not sure that Rakdos is hard to utilize at all. You're playing BR; you have access to a million cheap direct damage spells. Drop a Vexing Devil or cast a Pillar of Flame on turn five to play Rakdos if you can't guarantee combat damage on turn four. Assuming you can get him out on turn four with combat damage, you could either cast Bump in the Night, Searing Spear, Annihilating Fire, or use a Gut Shot or Pillar of Flame with a Guttersnipe on the field to drop a Thundermaw Hellkite for a measly two mana. Since your opponent's flying blockers are now tapped, that's 11 flying damage you could hit them with on that turn alone—at a minimum. Rakdos plays very nicely with Guttersnipes and Vexing Devils.  The former allows you to nuke blockers while still dealing damage directly to your opponent, cheaping creature costs.  The second one makes swallowing the four damage up front a whole lot scarier.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
I'm not sure that Rakdos is hard to utilize at all. You're playing BR; you have access to a million cheap direct damage spells. Drop a Vexing Devil or cast a Pillar of Flame on turn five to play Rakdos if you can't guarantee combat damage on turn four. Assuming you can get him out on turn four with combat damage, you could either cast Bump in the Night, Searing Spear, Annihilating Fire, or use a Gut Shot or Pillar of Flame with a Guttersnipe on the field to drop a Thundermaw Hellkite for a measly two mana. Since your opponent's flying blockers are now tapped, that's 11 flying damage you could hit them with on that turn alone—at a minimum. Rakdos plays very nicely with Guttersnipes and Vexing Devils.  The former allows you to nuke blockers while still dealing damage directly to your opponent, cheaping creature costs.  The second one makes swallowing the four damage up front a whole lot scarier.

I agree that Rakdos, Lord of Riotss is easy to get out.  Just lay down a Bump in the Night, and then cast him for .  That part was never in question.

The deck build I'm using is more the issue.  The deck I'm working on right now is the kind of deck that, if it goes past the fifth turn, it's going to start having trouble.  It's meant to be like a three to five turn kill, B/R Aggro/Burn deck.  Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to playtest the final deck yet as I'm still waiting on a few cards to get here.  But, I was thinking of swapping out the Hellriders for a couple of Rakdos, Lord of Riots.  Unfortunately, I don't think he'll work well in the kind of deck I'm trying to play as you'll see that none only one of the creatures has a in its cost.

SG
in multiplayer, pairing him up with Pestilence or Pyrohemia is just crazy sick.

eg. 4 player game, pay 1 mana for Pest/Pyro and suddenly Rakdos lowers you creatures' costs by , repeat and it's reduced by , pay 4 mana and cast Darksteel Colossus for free

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

the Eldrazi are nasty with him
keep in mind damage means combat damage as well, you dont HAVE to play a instant or sorcery to make your opponent lose life...it just needs to be something

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
keep in mind damage means combat damage as well, you dont HAVE to play a instant or sorcery to make your opponent lose life...it just needs to be something

You mean like Rakdos itself?!

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

You mean like Rakdos itself?!

I think he's just stating that you don't actually have to play a burn card to make the opponent lose life to be able to bring out Rakdos.  If you have the right creatures on the field or if your opponent doesn't have enough or any, you can swing for combat damage to cause the loss of life required to bring Rakdos, Lord of Riots onto the field.

SG
Remember that it can reduce the total cost to cast a creature to , as long as that creature costs nothing but colorless mana. So for instance if you beat your opponent in the face with Rakdos, Lord of Riots you can now cast Wurmcoil Engine for free.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Remember that it can reduce the total cost to cast a creature to , as long as that creature costs nothing but colorless mana. So for instance if you beat your opponent in the face with Rakdos, Lord of Riots you can now cast Wurmcoil Engine for free.

Practically any Artifact Creature can be cast for free if you can cause enough life loss to your opponent that turn.  I mentioned that Rakdos, Lord of Riots would be great in an Artifact Deck.  But, my current deck has no artifact creatures.

SG
um i am not shor this works right but many red cards have x in the mana cost couldnt u use the mana reduktion to cast the x mana cost ?

like if you did 5 damage in one turn you could cast a fire ball only taping the colord mana and then the 5 damage would give you the 5 for x

:xm: creates , :rm: creates etc.
or [mc]xr[/mc] becomes (x is currently broken because of wrong picture link)

there aren't many red creatures with in their cost
but if you got one, you can use the reduction for the part, sure
um i am not shor this works right but many red cards have x in the mana cost couldnt u use the mana reduktion to cast the x mana cost ?

like if you did 5 damage in one turn you could cast a fire ball only taping the colord mana and then the 5 damage would give you the 5 for x

only card i could think of with x in mana cost the card has to be a creature

This should be a complete list. If anyone knows a creature card with X in the cost that I missed, let me know.
last what about a multy kikier thats part of the total cost right ?
as long as the cost was only color less you coulld pay it wright ?
or buyback.
it can be used for additional costs such as (multi)kicker
"Creature spells you cast cost less to cast for each 1 life you opponent lost this turn"

The "this turn" part is what I have a question on.  Is it only for the turn RLoR was cast, or does it apply to every turn after that? 

Say the turn he's cast your opponent loses 2 life, so creature spells you cast cost less for the rest of this turn.

Let's say the next turn your opponent loses 4 life.  Do creature spells now cost less for the rest of this turn?

And so forth, til the end of the game?
it works on every turn, as long as Rakdos remains on the battlefield
if he leaves the battlefield the discount is gone, no matter how much life your opponent lost this turn

next time please make a new thread for a new question, you get faster answers that way
Essentially, it's an ability that is in effect at all times that Rakdos is on the field.

It reduces the cost of its controller's creature spells by an amount of mana equal to the amount of life lost by opponents on the turn in question. It constantly checks how much life have opponents of Rakdos' controller lost during this turn.

Life lost by opponents on the turn Rakdos enters the field, but before he enters is still counted - the game knows how much life was lost by his controller's opponents on any given turn.

eg. Player A attacks Player B with a 2/2 and it goes unblocked and Player B loses two life. Following combat, Player A casts Rakdos and it resolves, his creature spells now cost less.

The game even sees life loss that occurs even when the opponent's life total doesn't change.

eg. two 2/3's attack an opponent and the opponent blocks one creature with his 2/3 lifelinker
when combat damage occurs the opponent both loses 2 life and gains 2 life for a net change of 0 life,
but the game sees the loss of 2
and now Rakdos reduces its controller's creature spell costs by
and when a new turn starts, the reduction goes back to as opponents haven't lost any life yet on this new turn.

If Rakdos' controller changes, the reduction amount may also change corresponding to the new controller's opponents.

Player A has Rakdos, Hellrider and three 1/1 goblin tokens.
Player B has Hypersonic Dragon.

Player A declares all five creatures as attackers, putting five Hellrider triggers on the stack.
Player B lets the triggers resolve taking 5 damage and losing 5 life.
Player A can cast creatures spells with a reduction of because his opponent lost 5 life this turn.
Still in the declare attackers step Player A casts Act of Treason and steals Rakdos.
Now, Player A has no reduction because he doesn't have Rakdos any longer.
However, Player B gets a reduction in creature spell costs because Player A hasn't lost any life this turn.
If Player B now casts Lightning Bolt at Player A and it resolves and Player A loses 3 life, then Player B gets a reduction of to casting creature spells this turn (though they'll likely have to have flash to be cast on Player A's turn)
Hypersonic Dragon blocks Hellrider (killing it), Rakdos blocks a goblin (killing it) and Player B loses 2 more life (2 goblin tokens hit him)
Following combat, Player A casts his own Act of Treason and steals Rakdos back.
(we won't ask why he didn't use it on the Dragon - *handwaveum*)
Player A now has an reduction to creature spells for the seven life Player B has lost this turn.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out