Mid-Paragon & Epic Fear Effects

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
My character is rapidly approaching level 16, and my paragon feature is a +4 bonus to all defenses against fear effects. I'm pretty much just curious about how useful this will be.

Are fear effects more common in high paragon/epic level? What are the general effects of fear powers?

I don't want to look over the monster manuals, and I'm not really looking for specifics, as I don't want to spoil anything that I might come up against. Just generalizations like "fear powers tend to force movement or daze." 
Lots of monsters have attacks with the fear keyword, but the critical thing is to make sure your DM is aware that you have this ability and paying attention to the keywords. Unless there is a need to do so, most DM's I know (including myself) don't call out keywords of attacks to save time and avoid giving out useless info. If your DM knows you have this ability, hopefully he remembers to tell you.

If in doubt, if there is an attack against your Will defense, ask your DM if it has the fear keyword. At that point he'll probably check all of his monsters' attacks and will be reminded of it.

This is true for any keyword based ability you might have. Another common one is resistance to "charm" effects.
I did a quick search of the compendium and 403 creatures have the fear keyword from 15-30, out of 1857 15-30 level creatures total.  But some of those are going to be false hits since it includes fear auras and immunity to fear as well.  So it will have some effect, but I would bet fewer than 1 in 6 creatures have fear attacks at those levels.

What style said is right.  The big problem with all the conditional bonuses like that in 4E is remembering that you have them and the DM and Players communicate them to each other.  

One of 4E big flaws is having so many conditional effects and bonuses that are really hard to keep track of witnout slowing down the game.  Bonuses like that are really easy to use in something like a computer game, but in real life are a pain.

The big problem with all the conditional bonuses like that in 4E is remembering that you have them and the DM and Players communicate them to each other.  

GO is absolutely right in the above. Other than auras, I've yet to be attacked with a Fear power that I am aware of (not that I'd have any special defense before now), so I can see myself forgetting it if it isn't used much.

And Style75, that's a good hint (Will attack) to keep in mind.

Thanks guys-this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Sign In to post comments