Line of sight?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there a limit on how far a character can see? for example, if unobstructed, can a character see 20 squares? 50? 100? or is there no limit? i ask because a greatbow's range is 50 and I might upgrade to this because of the extended range, but not if I can even see far enough to use it.

Thanks in advance for replying! 
Nope.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Line of Sight has no range limit. An obstruction may come block it and limit its range though.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

There is also some DM discretion in regards to lighting conditions, but on a clear day, you see to the horizon or at least up to any blocking terrain.
On clear night you can see some things that are billions (or even quintillions) of miles away.

updated
On clear night you can see some things that are billions of miles away.

1.49196325 × 10^19 miles would the farthest naked eye thing, actually. Just a few orders of magnitude more than a billion.
And some of them might be aberent monsters, and or warlock patrons.  
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
thanks for all the input, thats what I was thinking but it seemed far fetched.  Oh well, just better for me

1.49196325 × 10^19 miles would the farthest naked eye thing, actually. Just a few orders of magnitude more than a billion.

At that distance I think you are well out of the areas of bright or dim light generated by those stars.  Just like the lights from a village on a hill a mile away lets me spot the village, but doesn't let me see any of the creatures between me and village unless they walk in front of the light sources and obscure them
At that distance I think you are well out of the areas of bright or dim light generated by those stars.  Just like the lights from a village on a hill a mile away lets me spot the village, but doesn't let me see any of the creatures between me and village unless they walk in front of the light sources and obscure them

The illumination level in your target's location is what matters. PHB p.262 "Creatures in the area have concealment" "can’t see creatures or objects in darkness"
Now go read the line of sight rules and where it says "blocks your vision"
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Now go read the line of sight rules and where it says "blocks your vision"

Er... your response came of pretty snarky. Was that your intent?

Can you elaborate on your assertion? Are you referring to PHB p.273: "You can see the target if at least one line doesn’t pass through or touch an object or an effect—such as a wall, a thick curtain, or a cloud of fog—that blocks your vision". 

Are you asserting that a non-illuminated area "blocks your vision" to an illuminated area on the other side of it? 
Your answer implied that concealment between yourself and a target did not impede Line of Sight simply because the target was not in the concealment; while accurate within the context of the post you quoted, is insufficiently descriptive of the LoS rules as a whole.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Your answer implied that concealment between yourself and a target did not impede Line of Sight

My statement was not intended to address all concealment, just illumination: "The illumination level in your target's location is what matters"

Your answer implied that concealment between yourself and a target did not impede Line of Sight

My statement was not intended to address all concealment, just illumination: "The illumination level in your target's location is what matters"

Which is, in fact, what you said in the first place.

And some of them might be aberent monsters, and or warlock patrons.  

The illumination level in your target's location is what matters. PHB p.262 "Creatures in the area have concealment" "can’t see creatures or objects in darkness"

A very interesting observation. Now all you need to do, is get several wizards with the "Cosmic Soul" Epic destiny. It gives you range equal to line of sight. Then have all the wizards start casting magic missles at the stars. Shouldn't be too long before all the stars are snuffed out.

get several wizards with the "Cosmic Soul" Epic destiny. It gives you wange equal to line of sight. Then have all the wizards start casting magic missles at the stars. Shouldn't be too long before all the stars are snuffed out.

"I'm attacking the darkness"

Adding energy to a star only makes it burn hotter.
Adding energy to a star only makes it burn hotter.

Even if it's cold energy? What if they are all using frost staffs? Surely that would put out the star eventually.
Of course, increasing the energy of a star will hasten its eventual collapse/nova.

If every person on Earth were an Epic Wizard and cast Cold Magic Missile at the Sun (assuming Range = Sight), they'd kill themselves before they extinguished the Sun. If you were able to simultaneously release all of the energy contained in the Earth into the Sun, you would effectively accomplish nothing except your own demise.
Of course, increasing the energy of a star will hasten its eventual collapse/nova.

If every person on Earth were an Epic Wizard and cast Cold Magic Missile at the Sun (assuming Range = Sight), they'd kill themselves before they extinguished the Sun. If you were able to simultaneously release all of the energy contained in the Earth into the Sun, you would effectively accomplish nothing except your own demise.

Page number, please.  ;)

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

If you were able to simultaneously release all of the energy contained in the Earth into the Sun, you would effectively accomplish nothing except your own demise.

For the record, the total energy contained in the Earth is about 5x10^41 joules.  The total energy output of the sun in a year is 1.2x10^34 joules.  This means that the amount of energy contained in the Earth is equal to the total output of the sun for about 44 million years.

Considering the sun has enough energy to run for another several billion years, the Earth is a drop in the bucket. 

But that drop would severely disrupt the thermal-gravitational balance of the Sun, which would be very, very bad.  You'd basically be able to convert that 5x10^41 joules directly into an explosion, since the sun is stable currently.  It's not quite up to the range of a supernova, which is 10^44 joules, but even one thousandth of a supernova would be vaporization for anyone in the solar system and quite possibly death for anyone in systems nearby.  "Nearby" in this case meaning within a hundred or so light years.
Hm, that's a lot higher than I'd thought our potential energy was
Depends on which potential energy you're talking about.  Gravitational potential with the sun, rotational energy, thermal energy, those are all much lower.

Instead, I went with direct mass-energy conversion, the whole e=mc^2 thing.  Which basically puts the rest of them down in rounding error due to not keeping accuracy out to nine significant digits.

But you did say "all of the energy contained within the earth" so, I stand by my decision.
You guys might enjoy this site.