Velanae: A Paladin Wizard

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I hope this is the right place for this. I'm seeking a little bit of advice on a character I'm building. My group is just about to hit paragon levels. I started out windowshopping on here and found a whip using wizard that looked like a lot of fun by Kerrus: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Taking that idea to mind, I set out to make a controller that stacked as big of a penalty as they could to monster's attacks. My build ended up turning more into a defender as I was working on it, so that is now the direction I'm going. It doesn't feel quite right to me though. Specifically, I don't think its "sticky" enough. Monsters need more incentive to attack me than my allies.

It's main goal is still to stack penalties on monster's attacks. To that end I have the Mark of Warding feat, increasing my mark penalty to -3, and I have Group Defenses, giving my allies +1 to all defenses against anything I've marked. Essentially my marks impose a -4 penalty to attack.

On top of that, my main attack is the wizard at will Chilling Cloud, which gives a -2 penalty to attack whether it hits or misses and is an area burst 2 within 10 (with arcane admixture and resounding thunder). So we're up to a -6 penalty to attack my allies and -2 to hit me. I also took an Aversion Staff which boosts my defenses by 2 against anything that has an effect on it caused by me. So that's -6 to hit my allies, and -4 to hit me.

Without further ado, here is the build:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Velanae, level 16
Half-Elf, Wizard/Paladin, Questing Knight
Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Thunder
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Knack for Success
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Cormyrian Battle Mage

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 9, INT 20, WIS 14, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 8, INT 16, WIS 13, CHA 16

AC: 33 Fort: 27 Ref: 28 Will: 30
HP: 109 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +18, History +20, Religion +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Athletics +6, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +8, Heal +10, Insight +14, Intimidate +14, Nature +10, Perception +10, Stealth +5, Streetwise +14, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Cormyrian Battle Mage Utility: Defensive Casting
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Wizard Attack 1: Chilling Cloud
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin Utility 2: Call of Challenge
Wizard Attack 3: Grim Shadow
Wizard Attack 5: Fire Mantle
Wizard Utility 6: Revitalizing Charm
Paladin Attack 9: Ray of Reprisal
Paladin Utility 10: Font of Healing
Questing Knight Attack 11: Strength of Ten
Questing Knight Utility 12: Quester's Discipline
Paladin Attack 13: Castigating Strike
Paladin Attack 15: Knight's Defiance
Paladin Utility 16: Divine Aegis

FEATS
Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mark of Warding
Level 4: Group Defense
Level 6: Staff Expertise
Level 8: Improved Initiative
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Arcane Admixture
Level 12: Resounding Thunder
Level 14: Solid Sound
Level 16: Contagious Challenge

ITEMS
Aversion Staff +4 x1
Magic Warplate Armor +4 x1
Periapt of Wound Closure +3 x1
Diamond Cincture (heroic tier) x1
Casque of Tactics (heroic tier)
Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

So, to summarize my questions for the board:
1) Is the build "sticky" enough? If not how do I make it stickier.
2) Is there any way to get bigger penalties to attack on the monsters?
3) What Items should I look after?
4) Finally, is it a decent defender? 

Why aren't you a tiefling?

Wrath of the Crimson Legion is nice... 
At the very least, Half-elf seems a very odd choice if you aren't taking advantage of the At-Will poaching.  Not that it's BAD, but there are better.

Hell, like curiousdragon said, Tiefling is pretty much spot on for you.  +Int/+Cha, absurdly awesome feat support, one of the few ways to make fire actually worthwhile if you want to look at those wizard powers, yeah.  Hard to beat. 
Tiefling gives you the choice of a mass sanction or a resistance/immunity piercer, both of which are exceptional.  Though in Epic, Paladin's Truth does a better job of the resistance/immunity bypassing.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I don't think your theme is really contributing anything here.  Off the top of my head, Devil's Pawn would stack on another -2 for a round (and coincidentally looks great on a tiefling...).
I'm really morally opposed to the staff in general, but I can't really argue with the potential of the Aversion Staff to be worth the loss in damage and such.

Don't forget a Holy Symbol of the Champions Code.  Boosts DC and DS damage just for being worn, and the daily power can really ruin a mob's turn.
I chose Half Elf for the feat Group Defense, which gives my allies +1 to all defenses against creatures marked by me. Essentially giving my marked targets an additional -1 to hit. Tiefling ability scores would coincide better with the build though, and I like the extra aoe divine sanction, just wish I didn't have to lose the Group Defenses to get it. I'll have to think about which way I want to go with that.

Thank you for suggesting Devil's Pawn, Scatterbrained. I wasn't really happy with the theme, and that extra -2 for a round is spot on what I wanted.

Thank you for suggesting Holy Symbol of the Champions Code, Planeswalker, the extra damage on Divine Sanction should make me a bit stickier. 
You know, if the primary reason for the wizard half is Chilling Cloud, you can just go full Paladin and take CC with the half-elf's dilettante feature.  Then you could A) take Adept Dilettante to make it based off CHA, and B) take Defending Dabbler to make CC mark every enemy it hits (the mark can't trigger your punishment, but at least it applies the attack penalties).

Or you could do the above with a Paladin|Warlock and take advantage of other warlock tricks like Protective Hex.
Use of Chilling Cloud to begin with is a faulty design, it is neither high enough damage, nor high enough relevant control to be worth your actions.

Unless you have sufficiently superb non-standard action Encounter Powers, or sufficiently superb at-will powers, you do NOT optimize your at-wills.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Use of Chilling Cloud to begin with is a faulty design, it is neither high enough damage, nor high enough relevant control to be worth your actions.

Unless you have sufficiently superb non-standard action Encounter Powers, or sufficiently superb at-will powers, you do NOT optimize your at-wills.

Translation, if you don't have eldtritch strike or twin strike, don't worry about it. There are a few other situational outliers, but they are outliers, those 2 are good in every situation.
Booming Blade and Riposte Strike.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Magic Stones
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
elementalist?
elementalist?

I was going to say that too.
We're basing this on good non-E Classes. They're forced to Op at-wills not by choice, but by force
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
So, I took Scatterbrains advice and made a Hybrid Paladin/Warlock Half-Elf who took Chilling Cloud with her Diletante Feature. I was really excited at first as I managed to get the penalties up to -10 against my allies and -7 against myself by working in Protective Hex and Psychic Lock. This would make it virtually impossible for the monsters to hit anyone. Then I realized it was all based on me hitting the target.

With an average to hit bonus, against same level mobs, I believe my average chance to actually hit is supposed to be somewhere around 60% of the time. The other 40% I was going to only give a -2 penalty to hit my allies while still giving a -5 penalty to hit myself. In effect, 40% of the time I would be doing the opposite of my job as a defender and making it more attractive to attack my allies than me. Those aren't good numbers.

I could boost the penalty to hit my allies up to -6 even on a miss if I found some other way to mark the targets, but I only had the one Call of Challenge and one Divine Challenge. 

I'm thinking Zathris is right and the design of a Chilling Cloud Defender is inherently flawed. It was a fun mental excercise though trying to get it to work. I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board on what type of character to make.
Well, to be fair, your job as a Defender isn't always to get them to attack you, it's to leave them with all bad choices.  That said, yeah, that doesn't look like anyone would ever target you.  Though someone might want to check the numbers.

With an average to hit bonus, against same level mobs, I believe my average chance to actually hit is supposed to be somewhere around 60% of the time. The other 40% I was going to only give a -2 penalty to hit my allies while still giving a -5 penalty to hit myself. In effect, 40% of the time I would be doing the opposite of my job as a defender and making it more attractive to attack my allies than me. Those aren't good numbers.

You should be able to get a better hit ratio than 60%.  Start with a post-racial 20 in CHA, adept dilettante, expertise, superior implement, coordinated explosion and some way to get CA should make you very accurate.  It's starting to look pretty feat starved though.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue that this type of build could stand with most things here in CharOp.  But this is the kind of optimization I could bring to one of my average-op games without just completely upstaging the rest of the group.
Sign In to post comments