Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils giveaway!

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just popping by to let you all know that I am holding a contest on my blog to mark the release of Lesser Evils. I haven't done one of these before, so I'm very excited!

Here's the important information:

1. Make a comment on this post: slushlush.com/2012/10/lesser-evils-givea.... You are going to have to leave an email address to do this, but that’s good, because if you win, I will have to have a way to contact you!
2. In your comment, call out your favorite fictional evil organization. It MUST be fictional, but you can draw from books, movies, comics, or TV. Feel free to include links—we all love being introduced to new stories.
3. From the pool of comments, I will randomly select a winner who will get a signed copy of Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils.
4. BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE! If at least 30 people enter, I will give the winner copies of Brimstone Angels and Lesser Evils. I will also draw TWO more winners, who will each get a copy of Brimstone Angels orLesser Evils (your choice). 
5. AND HOLD THE PHONE! If at least 60 people enter, I will give the winner copies of Brimstone Angelsand Lesser Evilsand the second Waterdeep Omnibus, containing The God Catcher as well as City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones and Circle of Skulls by James P. Davis. Plus THREE winners of Lesser Evils or Brimstone Angels
6. If we get to 120…I will think of something, because I will be really surprised if that happens. (Go ahead. Surprise me!)

I will draw names and notify winners December 1st, so if you don’t win, you’ll still have time to get your copy. Only one entry per person. No purchase necessary. May the odds be ever in your favor, etc.,etc.

Right now I have 47 comments, so that already means more prizes. Technically, your odds will be better if it gets up to 60, so join in and tell your friends.

Thanks for reading. Good luck to those who enter!

www.slushlush.com

Sweet!

ANd just one evil organization? This is going to be hard! 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Really enjoyed your novel ms. Evans. Q&A introduction was very nice, simple, informative and humorous.

Please dont neglect these forums when something new comes up.

And I'll agree with the_silversword, just one? Sheesh pick something simpler next time please... Smile

So glad that a paperback edition will be released
Heads up! The entry count is at 104. Which means I had to think of something for higher tiers of prizes.

Right now: 

• One winner gets copies of Brimstone Angels and Lesser Evils and the second Waterdeep Omnibus, containing The God Catcher as well as City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones and Circle of Skulls by James P. Davis.

• Plus THREE additional winners get a copy of Lesser Evils or Brimstone Angels.

At 120 entries:

• One person will win signed copies of Brimstone Angels, Lesser Evils, the second Waterdeep Omnibus (featuring The God Catcher), and a copy of Realms of the Dead, featuring the first appearance of Tam “the Shepherd” Zawad, among other great stories.

• Five additional people will win a copy of either Brimstone Angels or Lesser Evils.

• AND as a thank you to everyone who enters, I will release a cut scene from Lesser Evils!

I got permission yesterday to release the cut scene as soon as we get to 120 entries, by the by. So if you are hungry for fiction in this dry month...

At 240 entries:

• One person will win the books listed above PLUS a copy of the Sundering poster given out at GenCon. (I will be happy to sign this too, or send it to you clean.)

• TWO people will get a copy of Brimstone Angels AND a copy of Lesser Evils

• Five additional people will win a copy of either Brimstone Angels or Lesser Evils.

• AND…I will release another cut scene from Lesser Evils!

And if it gets to 500 entries, I will fall out of my chair overwhelmed by happiness and amazement. And I will do all of the above, plus I will write a short story to be released on Wizards.com for free.

So if you haven't entered, please do! If you have, thanks, and pressgang some unsuspecting friends into entering tell some friends about my books!   ;)

www.slushlush.com

Surprised I almost missed this contest... I just sent it to my two D&D groups I DM for, hopefully they sign up as well.
Thanks For the contest.

I went little overboard in posting my all time favorite group for the Forgotten realms.  

I put down Nightbringers.

I generally prefer smart villians and more astute with a soft spot with shade of grey.  Nothing says evil like quiet and thoughtful villian who is a master strategist.  

Lunarbeams aka Whitney   
Please keep on posting.  I love what is written so far.  
So in one busy weekend, the contest reached both the 120 tier and the 240 tier! So the prizes are now as follows:

• One person will win signed copies of Brimstone Angels, Lesser Evils, the second Waterdeep Omnibus (featuring The God Catcher), and a copy of Realms of the Dead, featuring the first appearance of Tam “the Shepherd” Zawad, among other great stories. PLUS a copy of the Sundering poster given out at GenCon. (I will be happy to sign this too, or send it to you clean.)

• TWO people will get a copy of Brimstone Angels AND a copy of Lesser Evils

• Five additional people will win a copy of either Brimstone Angels or Lesser Evils.

Also I have posted cut scenes from Lesser Evils on my blog here and here as rewards for breaking those two tiers. 

Thanks so much to everyone who's entered. I'm obviously really blown away by the response, and am pleased there's actually a possibility of reaching that 500-entry stretch goal.

If you haven't entered, there's still time

www.slushlush.com

Would you accept the Harmonium as an evil organization?

I'm going to be totally honest: I can't place that organization. What's it from? 

I'm really open to a answers. One person posited that from certain points of view, even the Harpers are evil. I'll go with it!  "Evil" is a slippery definition. "Self-absorbed" can be evil. "Indifferent" can be evil. "Evil" can be evil. 

And "organizations" can be less-than-organized. See: 1478 DR Zhentarim!

I chose the contest theme because Lesser Evils (surprise!) plays a little with these ideas. Who's evil? What if there's someone worse than them? What if they're willing to fight that someone worse? What if that evil person is doing something good? What if the windfall from their entire evil plan is actually going to help as many people as it hurts? What if it helps more? What if that "evil" person is someone you love?

So you can pretty much post anybody if you're game for making the argument.

But you cannot post that if you mean the instrument. Pianos are not evil. Unless they intentionally fall on someone. 

www.slushlush.com

The King Priest in Dragonlance has disguised evil as a face of good worship Paladine before the fall of the city.  This created the Cataclysm in Krynn and thus resulted a period of no priest for several centuries.  Evil is shadowy and looks beautiful and good, wholesome and it is not obvious.   I like the theme a lot because it allows to discuss evil in so called good people.  I like evil shows up in a good race and evil race is actually the good person.  I think it gives a chance look beyond the tiefling and the assimar.    I rather see an evil assimar to see how developing the character.  That is me I am not sure it is everyone.  

I also I like this contest because it allow to show me that how people react to evil organizations.  I go back and have to think about what is said.  Then I have a moment "Oh yeah.  That is true and I never thought of it."

I always wanted to see Shar corrupt Sheverash he is one shade lighter than those he would hunt the Drow.  I want to see all that hatred to corrupt a person and they in turn become a more of Drow than a Drow.  How far a person can go for the sake of revenge before he loose himself to hatred and just become as evil as though he swore to fight.

Perhaps I am little twisted inside. 

I'm going to be totally honest: I can't place that organization. What's it from? 

Like in your book Planescape is a setting where the nature of evil discussed all the time. Harmonium is a planar organization, ''serve'' as Sigil's police force. Their philosophy is easy to hate: 

The secret of the multiverse? That’s simple, and every cutter in the Harmonium knows what it is: “The Harmonium is always right.” Look, the goal of every enlightened being in the multiverse is to live in perfect harmony with all others. Look around: Peace or war – those are the only true states of the multiverse. If a being and its neighbors got the same views, then there’s peace between them. When they don’t agree, that’s what causes war; one body figures it can use fists to convince the other.

Now, there’s some powers who say otherwise, but the Harmonium believes that peace is a better end than war. For one, all of a body’s work won’t get destroyed during times of peace. Families don’t get killed, kings can actually spend time ruling the people, scholars can study, and petitioners can raise their crops. Everybody, even the fiends on the Lower Planes, can prosper. On the other hand, the Harmonium says there’s only one way to have peace: their way. War or peace – squabble among each other or join the Harmonium – those are the only choices.

The Harmonium believes that the ultimate goal of the multiverse is universal harmony, and it’s ready to spread that belief to all those other sods out on the planes. If it takes thumping heads to spread the truth, well, the Harmonium’s ready to thump heads. Sure, there may not be peace right away, but every time the Harmonium gets rid of an enemy, the multiverse is that much closer to the universal harmony it was meant to have. And what happens once the Harmonium succeeds? (And it will succeed, that’s certain – just ask them.) That part’s simple. When everyone is in agreement with the Harmonium, a new golden age will begin. That’s why the Harmonium works so hard to get folks to conform – it’s all for their own good.

AH! I should have guessed. Planescape is a setting I have nibbled at the edges of, always thinking, "Later, I am totally going to come back and dig into this." Love the Lady of Pain, and it sounds like I'd find the Harmonium pretty interesting too.

>>The King Priest in Dragonlance has disguised evil as a face of good worship Paladine before the fall of the city.  This created the Cataclysm in Krynn and thus resulted a period of no priest for several centuries.  Evil is shadowy and looks beautiful and good, wholesome and it is not obvious.   I like the theme a lot because it allows to discuss evil in so called good people.  I like evil shows up in a good race and evil race is actually the good person.  I think it gives a chance look beyond the tiefling and the assimar.    I rather see an evil assimar to see how developing the character.  That is me I am not sure it is everyone.

I definitely agree!

www.slushlush.com

AH! I should have guessed. Planescape is a setting I have nibbled at the edges of, always thinking, "Later, I am totally going to come back and dig into this." Love the Lady of Pain, and it sounds like I'd find the Harmonium pretty interesting too.

>>The King Priest in Dragonlance has disguised evil as a face of good worship Paladine before the fall of the city.  This created the Cataclysm in Krynn and thus resulted a period of no priest for several centuries.  Evil is shadowy and looks beautiful and good, wholesome and it is not obvious.   I like the theme a lot because it allows to discuss evil in so called good people.  I like evil shows up in a good race and evil race is actually the good person.  I think it gives a chance look beyond the tiefling and the assimar.    I rather see an evil assimar to see how developing the character.  That is me I am not sure it is everyone.

I definitely agree!

Well... in religion allot of demons and the like are in fact fallen angels... and I don't think a corrupt assimar has been attempted yet. LOL, I may just use that in my campaign

I'd love to read about a good character gone bad... even one of my fav characters (Artemis Entreri) is turning good these days... a flip would be nice

I wouldn't mind seeing Torm seduced by Shar to the dark side lol. Truly the most evil deed is to turn the best of us into the worst of us.
I guess Shar does need a challenge.   I mean look at who she hangs out with Hoar and Sheveresh.    

I will put this in Elui blog posting with the bad grammer

Erin

Sorry for the shameless plug of self advertisement.  Or perhaps I found you another book to write.  

I see if I can work on stats for the Assimar going bad.  It is matter how he/she went always interest me.  

I love Artemis Enteri and Jarlaxle (bald men are so sexy).   
I pretty much confuse players in my game using the Zhentarium as allies and foes, because it sometimes means the Characters will face a Greater threat to the Realms.  It really makes it fun when our games henge around the moral codes and some of the cloak and dagger begins to kick in because even if a couple of characters join the Black Network eventually they may have to deal with in fighting or deal with some particular cell within the Zhentarium even some of those NPC's that were growing on them as allies.
Hrm. I'm not getting notifications on this thread all of a sudden. Sorry guys!

Came by to mention you have three more days to enter. The cut off is 8:00 AM (EDIT: Pacific!), December 1st, because that is when I wake up. Looking like it might be a bit of a stretch to get to that short story...but hey, you all proved me wrong twice over with this contest, so I won't put my feet up yet!

Also, I got confirmation that Lesser Evils will be the Book Club's next book after Shadowbane: Eye of Justice wraps up. Is your New Year's Resolution to read more awesome books? (It could be)

Fallen aasimar is definitely interesting! And an excellent counterpoint to a good-aligned tiefling warlock. We'll see if one sneaks in at some point. 

Andrekan, that sounds not only like a FUN game, but also like you will very much enjoy Lesser Evils.   ;)

www.slushlush.com

Hi all,

The giveaway is over, and the winners have been drawn. Here are the winning entries.   

I'm still waiting to hear back from two of you, so if you see your name there and you haven't gotten an email from me, please check your spam filter!

Thanks to everyone who entered, and I hope you all check out Lesser Evils (It's the next WotC Novels Book Club title!). Or, barring that, that you decide to make it a last minute holiday gift for someone!

www.slushlush.com

Sign In to post comments