Limited - How often and where?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious about my fellow limited gamers.  Where do you guys usually play and how often?  Let's say a new format comes out, how often do you expect to draft it?  Weekly? Several times per week?  At a local game store? At several game stores? Online?

I'm curious, I think I just don't play as much as my fellow gamers despite being a fan.  I'm drawn more to limited because I prefer the limited card pools vs. playing decks where the mana base alone can push you into a few hundred dollars vs. the price of dinner or a movie ticket.  I also know a few can probably make a few dollars here or there by drafting well or getting lucky.

How do my fellow gamers.... game?

Myself I've only just started tinkering around on Mtgo, I miss the old format where it had tables but otherwise it doesn't seem much has changed.

I'm more inclined to play at my FLGS but I dislike that the pods aren't set up to be matches only against your table.  Hate draft/counter drafting is very different in 4 man pods, 8 man and 8 man pods played across 6 total pods.  I also prefer draft to sealed, where luck is a factor in both I feel like you have more control in draft and it involves a different kind of strategy.

The downside to the game store, is that it's weekly, and if you have other plans that weekend or want to do something else, there goes the chance for the week.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
I try and play once a week in person when I have a job, mainly because I like the feeling of seeing my opponent face to face.  Online as time permits, which could be anywhere from 0-2 times a week depending.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
I live in New York City, so there are opportunities several times a week to play limited and standard because there are several shops around Manahattan and Brooklyn. I usually play once a week though, either sealed on Thursdays at my gaming store, or draft on Fridays, or Sealed again on Saturdays.

I probably hit up two events a week when a set first comes out, then one a week after that barring other plans.

I really got into limited because I was restarting from a 10 year hiatus and didn't have jack in standard-legal cards. I started with Avacyn restored, really sucked at the pre-release, and have been getting better to the point where I typically win the limited events I play with my friends, or am undefeated/one-loss at the limited events in stores.

Now that I have a pretty decent FNM deck I find I'd still rather play limited. It's just more fun, players are more cavalier, and I have a better time building decks. I'll of course compete in FNM standards eventually, but not for a while. 

On another note, I can't stand poorly managed pods. I've had my nights soured by 10-person pods, store owners rushing players out the door, etc. I really feel like draft is just better with 8-person pods, and being able to pick a card in one pack and strategize on what you could pick when the pack wheels is part of the appeal for me. 

I've also thought about MTGO, but it feels weird buying cards I can't hold. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

As of now, I'll draft between 3-4 times a week on MTGO dependent on how much time I have.

I've converted over fully to MTGO, I was really hesitant about it, mainly paying full price for virtual cards seemed suspect. However, I don't really like keeping a physical collection, so it allows me to immediately sell all valuable cards and liquidate my collection to fund more drafts and sealed action.

I draft about once a week in paper and try to squeeze in at least two drafts a week online.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Usually play Magic once a week. Used to be almost strictly draft, but since about AVR I have been playing a lot of Modern with a friend. Probably drafted AVR three times and have drafted RtR thrice thus far. Before that I was drafting a lot more, INN was probably in the 30-40 times drafted range, but bought a house and the girlfriend moved in, both of which cut down a lot on play time. I prefer playing in person, particularily when I can get enough friends together to draft, but have a MODO account for convenience factor so end up doing a fair amount of my drafting online. 
Once or twice a day online, time permitting. More on weekends. Almost never offline.
on MTGO, I draft most sets 3-10 times early on. It varies with how much I like the set. ACV was barely three, RTR will probably pass ten.
Offline, varies with where I am, but always once a week, or once every two weeks. Also, been drafting at that pace for 12 years.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
One or twice a week online (8-4s), hopefully. Once a month on paper away from an LGS (wish it could be more), hopefully. Then usually prerelease online and release on MTGO, along with maybe one draft at an LGS per set.
3-5 times a week when a new set comes out, tapering to once a week. All online, mostly Swiss with a few 8-4s.
I try to make it to FNM for draft at least twice a month.  I do shoot for every week, but usually coems out to twice a month, so two drafts a month.  Sometimes I'll mix in a Standard, or play Standard on other nights.

This last pre-release online, I played 2 Sealeds and 3 drafts and walked away with 19 packs.  I've been using those packs to grind Sealed Events as much as possible.  Probably 4-5 in the past week.  When those packs run out I probably won't play much online until the next set  comes out.
Limited, Once a week at the local comic store down the street from Me.  I can't afford much more than that.  I enjoy limited because I enjoy the act of making decks.  So taking a pool of cards and seeing if I can make something that works is what's really fun for Me.  I've always kind of had Deck ADD, and so limited fills in that spot nicely.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

i have one store in my city, and i always work friday nights so i never get to draft there. i basically only draft on mtgo maybe once a week (usually monday), but i'm trying to get my friends together for sweet cube action once a week, even though i never expect to get more than 4 people there.
Online only. Usually draft once every one or two weeks or so. Sealed usually only during new set releases.
Only 1 to 2 times online swiss draft a week. I rarely play offline because deck store is far from my home and I feel trouble to sell cards. 
At local store on Thursday nights. I work nights, so have to leave and that is only time it fits. Friday night they go late.

Sealed.
I play exclusively on MTGO. At the moment I'm drafting RtR most days. I did really well in the Sealed release events and accumulated 26 boosters playing 2 events. So now I'm drafting whenever I can, and doing pretty well.

This thread reminds me of a self help group where everyone introduces themselves and tells us about the nature of their addiction. "Hello my name is MisterDubs and I am an addict......."
I play exclusively on MTGO. At the moment I'm drafting RtR most days. I did really well in the Sealed release events and accumulated 26 boosters playing 2 events. So now I'm drafting whenever I can, and doing pretty well.

This thread reminds me of a self help group where everyone introduces themselves and tells us about the nature of their addiction. "Hello my name is MisterDubs and I am an addict......."

From the group: "Hello MisterDubs."

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."