10/25/2012 Sealed Deck Builder

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Current Decks Standard: Red Deck Wins Old Decks Standard: Get Er' Dungrove Top 8's: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1062537 http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=47431 IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)

5 Forest
2 Island
1 Mountain
6 Plains
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Rogue's Passage
2 Selesnya Guildgate
1 Armory Guard
1 Azor's Elocutors
1 Azorius Arrester
1 Brushstrider
3 Centaur Healer
1 Hussar Patrol
1 Keening Apparition
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Selesnya Sentry
1 Voidwielder
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Explosive Impact
1 Giant Growth
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Slime Molding
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Thoughtflare
1 Trostani's Judgment

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I expected to see golgari and selsnya represented in the decklists already posted here. But Izzet was certainly worth considering with its bomby mortars and easy use of a splash black to access a ton of removal, with an air force and guttersnipe to get the damage in over the groundstall, or just go for the long game option with Azor's Elocutors.

The deck I probably would have played is a Golgarya deck, using trestle trolls and centaur healers to stay alive long enough to cast the wurm.

Finally, with 3 healers and 2 common bond, it was hard not to be drawn to a straight selsnya deck.

This Deck was built in 0:13:50

Total Deck Size: 40
17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
6 Plains
1 Rogue's Passage
2 Selesnya Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Armory Guard
1 Azor's Elocutors
2 Azorius Arrester
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Hussar Patrol
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Keening Apparition
1 Selesnya Sentry
1 Stealer of Secrets
3 Tower Drake
1 Voidwielder

8 Other Spells
---------------
2 Ethereal Armor
1 Fall of the Gavel
1 Mizzium Skin
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Supreme Verdict

I went with W/U.  Green looked appealing too, but I figured most would probably go with green, and I just wanted to be different.  Feedback anyone?

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

This Deck was built in 0:24:18

Total Deck Size: 41
17 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
4 Island
5 Plains
1 Rogue's Passage
2 Selesnya Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Azor's Elocutors
2 Azorius Arrester
3 Centaur Healer
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Tower Drake
1 Voidwielder
1 Worldspine Wurm

10 Other Spells
---------------
2 Common Bond
2 Ethereal Armor
1 Giant Growth
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Slime Molding
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Trostani's Judgment

There was so much love for seleynsa in this sealed that it was an obvious choice. Splashed in some blue for some control and flying. I would love to use this deck, looks good. 

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

This Deck was built in 1:59:46

16 Lands
---------------
7 Island
9 Plains

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Armory Guard
1 Azor's Elocutors
2 Azorius Arrester
1 Doorkeeper
1 Hussar Patrol
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Judge's Familiar
3 Tower Drake
1 Voidwielder

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Downsize
2 Ethereal Armor
1 Fall of the Gavel
2 Paralyzing Grasp
3 Rootborn Defenses
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Trostani's Judgment

Based on experience, you just don't get the chance to cast the Wurm.  While it's tempting, without some pull from the graveyard to the battlefield it's probably not gonna happen, especially since there's no mana ramp in the deck.  Selesnya looked like a wonderful choice, so wonderful I had trouble narrowing it down to a 40 card deck.  In the end I decided to go for the control, Elocutor's win.  It almost worked for me in a real sealed deck, but I didn't have enough control and flying.  The major problem here would be Izzet, especially since there's really only one way to win (outside of flying).

Really seemed to me that all the colors had an equal representation, with only Izzet having an actual bomb (teleportal), I may sideboard teleportal in over alocutors against Izzet.

What do you guys think?

Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Ya know, I REALLY REALLY wanted to find a way to put Worldspine Wurm in this deck, but I just couldn't figure out how I'd ever get it on the battlefield.  I have little experience in limited game-play; how often does one make it to turn 11?  (I suppose if you put in both Runkeys and got them on the field we could talk about turn 9 instead...but what's two turns between friends?)

Also, was interested in Azor's Elocutors, but it seemed like a difficult win condition without a boatload of counterspell/permission.

Any thoughts on how to execute decks around these cards given this pool?

seleynsa!  This deck is boring, but workable and would hate to see an overload deck or Supreme verdict the trick would be playing the right amount of creatures and buffs while still leaving some in hand for the mass removal.  

This Deck was built in 0:04:29

19 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
8 Plains
1 Rogue's Passage
2 Selesnya Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Armory Guard
1 Azor's Elocutors
2 Azorius Arrester
1 Brushstrider
3 Centaur Healer
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Selesnya Sentry
1 Worldspine Wurm

7 Other Spells
---------------
2 Common Bond
2 Ethereal Armor
1 Giant Growth
1 Slime Molding
1 Trostani's Judgment

Ya know, I REALLY REALLY wanted to find a way to put Worldspine Wurm in this deck, but I just couldn't figure out how I'd ever get it on the battlefield.  I have little experience in limited game-play; how often does one make it to turn 11?  (I suppose if you put in both Runkeys and got them on the field we could talk about turn 9 instead...but what's two turns between friends?)

Also, was interested in Azor's Elocutors, but it seemed like a difficult win condition without a boatload of counterspell/permission.

Any thoughts on how to execute decks around these cards given this pool?

As a Sealed Deck connoisseur, you basically can't build a deck around Worldspine Wurm without getting incredibly lucky with multiple Axebane Guardians, and even then you almost certainly still shouldn't.

The Elocutors are another matter; they're easy to cast, they're pretty big, and you don't mind having them around even without the ability just as a 3/5. And sometimes, their ability will force your opponents to throw away cards to stop them from winning. You don't build around them, but you do include them in your deck (if it is the right colors) and sometimes they'll help win. 
Ended up going W/U/R and tried not to get too greedy with the red mana requirements.  So I had to leave ash zealot out of the deck:

This Deck was built in 0:25:17

17 Lands
---------------
5 Island
5 Mountain
6 Plains
1 Izzet Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Armory Guard
1 Azor's Elocutors
2 Azorius Arrester
1 Hussar Patrol
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Keening Apparition
1 Nivix Guildmage
1 Stealer of Secrets
3 Tower Drake
1 Voidwielder

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Explosive Impact
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Teleportal

Annihilating Fire is still pushing it, but at least it's useful after turn 3.   

Based on experience, you just don't get the chance to cast the Wurm.  While it's tempting, without some pull from the graveyard to the battlefield it's probably not gonna happen, especially since there's no mana ramp in the deck.  Selesnya looked like a wonderful choice, so wonderful I had trouble narrowing it down to a 40 card deck.  In the end I decided to go for the control, Elocutor's win.  It almost worked for me in a real sealed deck, but I didn't have enough control and flying.  The major problem here would be Izzet, especially since there's really only one way to win (outside of flying).

Really seemed to me that all the colors had an equal representation, with only Izzet having an actual bomb (teleportal), I may sideboard teleportal in over alocutors against Izzet.

What do you guys think?

I pretty much built about the same deck that you did except I went with 15 creatures. (I  OCD in that I almost always have to have about the same creature/other spells ratio in about all my decks)  I also don't play control very well, but I like what you have done.

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

GWb

Bant control?

This Deck was built in 0:04:07

17 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
4 Island
7 Plains
2 Selesnya Guildgate

13 Creatures
---------------
2 Azorius Arrester
1 Brushstrider
3 Centaur Healer
1 Hussar Patrol
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Keening Apparition
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Selesnya Sentry
1 Stealer of Secrets
1 Voidwielder

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Coursers' Accord
2 Ethereal Armor
1 Giant Growth
1 Mizzium Skin
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Slime Molding
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Supreme Verdict

Side deck: 15
--------------- 
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Trostani's Judgment
3 Rootborn Defenses
3 Tower Drake
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Rogue's Passage
2 Common Bond
1 Fall of the Gavel
1 Azor's Elecutors

(only posted side because i noticed it was a perfect15 cards)

This Deck was built in 0:06:19

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
8 Plains
1 Rogue's Passage

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Armory Guard
1 Azor's Elocutors
2 Azorius Arrester
1 Doorkeeper
1 Hussar Patrol
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Keening Apparition
1 Stealer of Secrets
3 Tower Drake
1 Voidwielder

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chronic Flooding
2 Ethereal Armor
1 Mizzium Skin
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Trostani's Judgment

Azorius enchantments and Elocutors ftw. I think I want to play Downsize here but I don't know what to cut. Also I might need 18 lands due to the three cards at 5 cmc and two cards at 6 cmc. I could splash the Slime Molding with two Selesnya Guildgates but that doesn't fit the strategy.
I went with W/U.  Green looked appealing too, but I figured most would probably go with green, and I just wanted to be different.  Feedback anyone?

I wouldn't play Blistercoil Weird with only 3 instants and sorceries. I'd want at least 10 I think.
I gave blue-white-red a try, because it looked promising.

This Deck was built in 0:09:43

17 Lands
---------------
5 Island
6 Mountain
4 Plains
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Rogue's Passage

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Ash Zealot
1 Azor's Elocutors
2 Azorius Arrester
1 Doorkeeper
1 Guttersnipe
1 Hussar Patrol
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Keening Apparition
1 Nivix Guildmage
3 Tower Drake
1 Voidwielder

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Trostani's Judgment

I wouldn't play Blistercoil Weird with only 3 instants and sorceries. I'd want at least 10 I think.

I played because it was still a cheap one drop that I could get out early if need be.

I have seen a lot of Green White around. I also saw some 4 color decks, but I dont that idea, it is too difficult to have the right mana available.

This time, I tried a Red Black Blue deck. A lot of damage/removal, draw/discard, and some small creatures that benefit from instant and sorcery. I included the big black wurm to have a "end" card, and also might use it to discard and still use scavanger.

This Deck was built in 0:02:37

17 Lands
---------------
4 Island
6 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Ash Zealot
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Daggerdrome Imp
1 Guttersnipe
1 Judge's Familiar
1 Nivix Guildmage
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Rakdos Ragemutt
1 Tavern Swindler
1 Terrus Wurm

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
2 Auger Spree
1 Cremate
1 Dynacharge
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mizzium Skin
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Teleportal
1 Thoughtflare

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Sign In to post comments