Jester's Reward card from Gardmore Abbey

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So last night the party's rogue received the Jester's Reward card.

Deck of Many Thing's Utility
At-Will
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Requirement: You must be in the Jester token's square.
Trigger: An attack hits you
Effect: You shift up to two squares

So pretty much the rogue was able to avoid all damage from melee.  He was adjacent to one creature and not near any others so he kept shifting away and avoiding all damage.  Anyone else finding this overpowered?
I don't have my books in front of me, so I'm spit-ballin a bit on this. It does seem to me this should be an encounter power rather than an at-will.

However, if you have to deal with it as an at-will, I guess there are a few ways to deal with it. First, It doesn't say where the Jester token appears, but the person does have to stand on it, so the battle could easily move away. Also, when you shift, the token square doesn't go with you, which means someone else can move into that square and gain it's benefit.

Also, if there is more than one card on the field, other cards can be used to "bump" effects, replacing one card power with another, so if you are up against an intelligent enemy who realizes you are using the Jester card for your benefit, it would make sense for them to use Arcana to create their own card effect and gain the benefit.

Long story short, if the thief is in fact using the Jester utility the entire battle, then he really isn't being challenged in any meaningful way and someone needs to change their tactics.

Hope that helps.
I think you're supposed to enable the card on a specific square for the duration of the combat and the PC has to stand on that square to use the power. Not just hold on to the card, as I believe the OP means.

So, the thief might be able to do this every round, but any other creature on the card's token square will be able to do this too. Also, the thief has to move back to the card square, which smart monsters will utilize to give him an enormous amount of OA pain.
Heroic Dungeon Master
I think you're supposed to enable the card on a specific square for the duration of the combat and the PC has to stand on that square to use the power. Not just hold on to the card, as I believe the OP means.

So, the thief might be able to do this every round, but any other creature on the card's token square will be able to do this too. Also, the thief has to move back to the card square, which smart monsters will utilize to give him an enormous amount of OA pain.

You pretty much said what I said

I know some of the cards carry an additional effect where the token square moves after use. I know the Moon card does this, which allows you to refresh an encounter power, but it only works once for each character during an encounter and the token moves after it's use. I've not checked the thief card to see if it has similar wording.