Red Deck Wins - 4-1 at FNM

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/red-deck-wins-23...

This deck is a frickin beast. I just did quite well at this past weeks FNM, with my only loss to Jund Zombies (didn't draw an early Pillar of Flame against Geralf's and Gravecrawler). It performed surprisingly well against Bant control, though my opponent didn't miracle a Terminus. I was thinking of MD Annihilating Fire to deal with Zombies - any thoughts?
Definite case of "cool story bro"- that said I think Vexing Devil and Traitorous Blood are probably best left out for competitive play.  If you want balls-out speed, I would recommend dropping the Chainwalkers for Bump in the Nights, given you run Blood Crypts, and Dragonskull Summits.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Traitorous blood is a fine sideboard card, nothing wrong with it and helps push you over the edge in certain matches that would otherwise be hard to win (I.e it lets you swing through problem cards like restoration angel centaur healer etc). A suprising number of games end up with a board state where you have some number of 1 and 2 drops and your opponent has stabilised somewhat with a 'fat-ish' blocker like centaur healer, being able to untap - take his healer (or resto angel) swing with the team and then point a burn spell at their head for lethal. In games where you'd otherwise be force to attack into the blocker making a bad trade.

I've played vexing devil in competitive formats (including PTQ's) and had some success. But this was prior to rotation when Thragtusk wasn't an issue. I don't feel the meta is right for him (because of life gain not removal).  I'm fine with my opponent blowing a removal spell on a 1 drop, means cards like hellrider are more likely to stick on the board.

In my opinion Chainwalker is one of the best Red Creatures at the moment don't underestimate a 3/2 for 2.

The list I'm playing currently is something like:

4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Stonewright
4 Ash Zealot
4 Gore-house chainwalker
3 Hellhole Flailer
4 Hellrider

4 Pillar of Flame
4 Brimstone Volley
3 Searing Spear

22 Lands (4 Bloodcrypt, 4 Lavaclaw, 14 mountain)

Board is currently:
4 Appetite for Brains
3 Traitorous Blood
3 Annihilating Fire
2 Dreadbore
2 Pithing needle
1 Mizzium Mortars

Hellhole Flailer has been disapointing, there is an abundance of removal in format at the moment and getting to untap with him in play is very rare. The problem cards for the deck are definately centaur healer and Restoration Angel both of which come down on the critical turns 3/4. Appetite for brains is my attempt at answer these decks as it can strip away the resto angel or thragtusk (which is the card they are usually looking to follow up the angel with). Annihilating fire likewise is amazing as it deals with thragtusk late game and is burn.

Stormkirk noble is the worst of the one drops, without volt charge in the format he is very lackluster turn 1 play and is a horrible draw late game. I'm thinking about cutting the nobles adding 2 lands to the deck and moving up the curve with 2 thundermaw hellkites to make late game slightly better.
Definite case of "cool story bro"- that said I think Vexing Devil and Traitorous Blood are probably best left out for competitive play.  If you want balls-out speed, I would recommend dropping the Chainwalkers for Bump in the Nights, given you run Blood Crypts, and Dragonskull Summits.

seems like you didn't actually look at the decklist, or consider the possibilities. Scytale1 is absolutely correct, Traitorous Blood was an absolute beast against Bant (and Jund, to a lesser extent). I won a game with Traitorous Blood on an Angel of Serenity.

Additionally, Vexing Devil is quite a strong card in this deck, and here's why: in most decks, there are not enough 1-drops or creatures in general to give up the 1-spot in your curve. In this deck, Rakdos Cackler and Stromkirk Noble are your t1 plays. Vexing Devil comes out on t3 (along with Rakdos Shred-Freak or Ash Zealot), at which point your opponent will not be so eager to pay 4 life. If this guy can go out on t4 and they take the sac, you can follow with Brimstone Volley. If Hellrider can go out on t5 after that play, it's most likely gg.

My justification for Stromkirk Noble is this: as a 1/1, your opponent frequently has to choose between taking more from a Chainwalker, Devil, anything bound to Stonewright, etc, or letting the 1/1 Noble through. With that said, it has been a little bit lackluster, especially in lategame. Could sub him out for something else, or even incorporate Pyreheart Wolf or Nightbird's Clutches to Synergize with him.