Monster transfers damage

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my game this week we were fighting a monster that transfered1/2 of damage taken to a player once bloodied. This made the battle really difficult since it had 300 hp, and we were level 8. Plus there were three of them. This was fun but annoying. This lead to questions of whether or not any legal monsters had this ability, or something similar. I was unable to find any. But one of the player claims there are alot. Anyone know of any such monsters. And possible book locations.
The Cloaker has an Envelop power that cause similar effect

Envelop: In addition, whenever an attack deals damage to the ambusher while it has the target grabbed, the attack deals half damage to the ambusher and half damage to the target.

[sblock]

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

He may be thinking of the bugbear strangler, but that's only an interrupt (i.e. once per round) and only if he has someone grabbed.
the problem with transferring half of the damage ALREADY TAKEN when it becomes bloodied, is that an elite or solo would possibly or definitely 1 shot a player from full to DEAD automatically with that ability.
This seems completely impossible to overcome. 

Even if the monster started transferring half of the damage taken to a player, once bloodied, on an attack-by-attack basis, that becomes a large source of completely unavoidable damage, and 75 HP (half the bloodied value) is quite a chunk for an 8th level character which will range around 57-65 HP for a 10-18 CON non-defender with 5hp/level (defenders, barbarians and slayers would have about 10 more HP, and wizards and invokers would have about 10HP less)
This seems difficult, but possible to overcome, or at least run from 

More likely it might deal half of the damage that it took FROM THE TRIGGERING ATTACK when it becomes bloodied.
This feels fairly easy to overcome, but might do a surprise knockout on a character....extra dangerous if the monster goes next and will focus unconscious characters. 

That would be more in line with the cloaker's "surprise" damage....dangerous, but controllable once you figure it out.   
In my game this week we were fighting a monster that transfered1/2 of damage taken to a player once bloodied. This made the battle really difficult since it had 300 hp, and we were level 8. Plus there were three of them. This was fun but annoying. This lead to questions of whether or not any legal monsters had this ability, or something similar. I was unable to find any. But one of the player claims there are alot. Anyone know of any such monsters. And possible book locations.

Sounds like your DM misread the power the monsters had, it most likely was what Tubaman described, a triggered action upon a hit bloodying it that deflected some of the damage to another target.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.