Fastest mana accel possible?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I just pulled this off in a game using Crosswinds vs. Pack Instinct. Can you get to 23 lands on turn 6, like I did? Here's how it went down.....

T1: Island (1)
T2: Island (2), then Twincast a Cultivate (3)
T3: Island (4)
T4: Island (5), then Bribery targeting Primeval Titan (7)
T5: Island (8), then swing with the Titan (10)
T6: Island (11), then kick a Rite of Replication on the Titan (21), then swing with the Titan (23)

Sweet, eh?
That is pretty sweet, don't think I've ever had 23 lands by turn 6. Surprised 

I have had many Primeval Titan shenanigans though in plenty of 2HG matches, most of them probably NOT taking place on turn 6, lol. This isn't about land, but I do enjoy casting a kicked Rite of Replication on a good ol' Captain of the Watch, a favorite play of mine since DotP 12. Tongue Out 

Also, another play from 2012 that makes a re-appearance in the series with the latest expansion is the turn 2 Grave Titan.

With Grinning Malice, if you're drawing first and have at least 1 swamp and Reanimate and Grave Titan in opening hand...

T1: Play nothing, discard Grave Titan
T2: Swamp, Reanimate your Grave Titan

Yeah it costs 6 life on turn 2, but it's still pretty cool to pull off and can be devastating against certain decks and certain hands, especially that early.

I have had many Primeval Titan shenanigans though in plenty of 2HG matches, most of them probably NOT taking place on turn 6, lol. This isn't about land, but I do enjoy casting a kicked Rite of Replication on a good ol' Captain of the Watch, a favorite play of mine since DotP 12. Tongue Out 

Also, another play from 2012 that makes a re-appearance in the series with the latest expansion is the turn 2 Grave Titan.

With Grinning Malice, if you're drawing first and have at least 1 swamp and Reanimate and Grave Titan in opening hand...

Yeah it costs 6 life on turn 2, but it's still pretty cool to pull off and can be devastating against certain decks and certain hands, especially that early.

I tried this with Malfegor, I kept a 1-land hand with reanimate. I was on the draw, did nothing and pitched Malfegor, only to reanimate him next turn, discarding my hand in the process. My opponent was playing OD and murdered him next turn.

I had only one swamp and no cards in hand when I quit and sent him an "Oh well, I tried it!". Shortest match ever.

I tried this with Malfegor, I kept a 1-land hand with reanimate. I was on the draw, did nothing and pitched Malfegor, only to reanimate him next turn, discarding my hand in the process. My opponent was playing OD and murdered him next turn.

I had only one swamp and no cards in hand when I quit and sent him an "Oh well, I tried it!". Shortest match ever.

Ouch...

Yeeeeaa... Pretty sure Grave Titan is the best thing to Reanimate on turn 2. I imagine Kaervek the Merciless would be a B**** on turn 2, though not *as* hard to deal with. Rakdos the Defiler would almost certainly be a sure game-ender if he got to attack.
I don't think Malfegor is a good target for this since you got rid of your hand and he didn't sacrifice anything.

Someone just tried this on me but with a Massacre Wurm.

I was playing SS and had a Viridian Emissary. He lost 6 life, I lost 2 and on my turn I Maelstorm Pulsed... 

I think the only valid target for such a move from GM is Grave Titan because if the titan gets removed you still have 2 zombies. GM is such a random deck, I would never try that trick, it's way too risky.

Demigod of Revenge is a good target too. Hasted 5 damage. And if it dies you can always bring it back later with another Demigod.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

So I just pulled this off in a game using Crosswinds vs. Pack Instinct. Can you get to 23 lands on turn 6, like I did? Here's how it went down.....

T6: Island (11), then kick a Rite of Replication on the Titan (21), then swing with the Titan (23)

Sweet, eh?

Quickest way to get to 23/4 (assuming you're a 60 card deck so that comprises all your land) would be in 2HG with Grinning Malice VS Pack Instinct and Dream Puppets.

T1: Swamp (1)
T2: Swamp (2) - Ravenous Rats on Pack Instinct, they discard Boundless Realms.
T3: Mountain (3) - Ravenous Rats on Dream Puppets, they discard Chancellor of the Spires. Reanimate the Chancellor and cast Boundless on yourself, giving yourself 6 land.
T4: Mountain (6) - Terminate the Chancellor, Reanimate it, targeting Boundless Realms (12), then cast Heat Shimmer on the Chancellor, again targeting Boundless (24).

You now have all your land out!

Okay...first, congratulations on this, very very fast way to grab all your lands...but this is the least likely play to happen i've ever seen. can you find the fastest realistic way instead? I mean the odds of both opponents having those cards, discarding those exact (very good and unlikely to be a prime discard choice) cards, AND GM having all of those cards at the right time is laughable. 

It's good that you worked this out Stevolutionary, not trying to take that away from you, but can you beat the OP's actual play which isn't so far fetched at all? He only needed three cards and some islands after all. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I don't think Malfegor is a good target for this since you got rid of your hand and he didn't sacrifice anything.

I was playing SS and had a Viridian Emissary. He lost 6 life, I lost 2 and on my turn I Maelstorm Pulsed... 

I think the only valid target for such a move from GM is Grave Titan because if the titan gets removed you still have 2 zombies. GM is such a random deck, I would never try that trick, it's way too risky.

Demigod of Revenge is a good target too. Hasted 5 damage. And if it dies you can always bring it back later with another Demigod.

Demigod is indeed another good target, especially with the haste on turn 2 you'll almost always be able to swing at least once, also the chance of bringing it back later is very likely if it gets killed. Would like to point out though, if you use Reanimate on a Demigod of Revenge it will not bring back the other Demigods that are in your graveyard, if you have any others, just the one you cast it on. You must play Demigod from your hand in order to trigger the ability.
Blazing Specter is another nice reanimate target. If left unchecked, it can single handedly wreck your opponnents hand.

Demigod is indeed another good target, especially with the haste on turn 2 you'll almost always be able to swing at least once, also the chance of bringing it back later is very likely if it gets killed. Would like to point out though, if you use Reanimate on a Demigod of Revenge it will not bring back the other Demigods that are in your graveyard, if you have any others, just the one you cast it on. You must play Demigod from your hand in order to trigger the ability.

For sure, but if you have a Reanimate, a Swamp and a Demigod in your opening hand, it's worth keeping in my opinion, especially on the play.
5 damage on turn 2 and probably 3, even if the Demigod dies after that, turn 5 or 6 hard-cast second Demigod is pretty much game.

Was only intended to be a thought exercise. Don't see anywhere I claimed this was achievable in regular play (although often people do discard their highest cost cards, especially if mana screwed)

Oh I never said you intended it to be a real play. Would have to be quite silly to think that. I know the highest costing card is often thrown away, but this also correlates directly with usefulness. Both those are very useful. I would throw a cheaper but less viable card such as a chumpable timbermaw away rather than the realms, since I would be hoping to go for the mass damage and 2/2 wolf advantage provided from some of PI better cards. The chancellor...yeah, I might throw him, depending on what's in my hand. I usually draw him turn one anyway. Frown

What I was getting at was more challenging you to come up with a faster land play that was also viable. Also a good thought excercise, correct? 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Also, another play from 2012 that makes a re-appearance in the series with the latest expansion is the turn 2 Grave Titan.

This move is usually only suggested if you have a Grave Titan.  With most decks having some sort of removal, there is a good chance your actions are only going to be met with a life loss, a tempo loss (your first turn), and a resource loss (your now a land down and have no board presence).

With Grave Titan, this is mitigated by the fact that you atleast get 2 2/2 zombies even if the Titan eats removal.  Having 4/4 worth of bodies on the board isn't a bad position to be in on turn 2.

There are exceptions to this rule, only problem is, by the time you know your in a situation that would be an exception, it's too late.  Playing against Aura Servants or Pack Instinct are two exceptions that I can think of right off the top of my head.  With only 2 Pacifisms in AS and "Fight" being the only removal mechanic that Pack Instinct has you're pretty safe to bet the 'ol Fatty McBomb won't be removed before he has a chance to affect the board.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Sweet, eh?

I hope I did the math right but this is what a turn 6 all land form deck pull in 2gh would look like. 

T1: swamp(1) island (2)
T2: swamp (2) island (2) Ravenous Rats on Pack Instinct, they discard Primeval Titan
T3: Mountain (3) island (3)- Ravenous Rats on Pack Instinct, they discard Boundless Realms, cast Reanimate on Primeval Titan (5)
T4: Mountain (6) island (4) - cast Heat Shimmer (8) and twincast (6) Attack with both Primeval Titan (12)(8), Terminate it, Reanimate it (14)
T5: swamp (15) island (9) - Attack with Primeval Titan (17), Rite of Replication(kicker) on Primeval Titan (19)
T6:mountain (18) island (20) - Attack with all Primeval Titan (20)(30), then cast Bribery on Dream Puppets for Chancellor of the Spires, use on Boundless Realms (60) cast Rite of Replication(no kicker) on Chancellor of the Spires, use on Boundless Realms (120), cast Call to Mind for TwincastRite of Replication(no kicker) on Chancellor of the Spires, use on Boundless Realms (240), then Twincast on Boundless Realms (480)

There would not be any way to pull 480 land but if you had this hand and a 100 card deck you could pull all land in CW on turn 6.

I hope I did this right. Did this in like 5 min off the top of my head, lol. 

IMAGE(http://www.speedtest.net/result/3174021167.png)

@Hakeem928

Sad story, but not as worse than my story. Undecided
Played Grinning Malice and had Reanimate, Grave Titan and at least one swamp in my hand. I was excited, because my opponent start first, so i could discard my Grave Titan on the first turn. My opponent played a swamp, but i hoped that he have no turn 2 removal and i discarded the Titan. But than.... (Yell).... he used reanimate and stole my Titan ! He was playing Grinning Malice too and beat me with my own Titan...

After my disgraceful lose, i had a revange with a other deck and beat him down.... and was happy again ;)
Okay...first, congratulations on this, very very fast way to grab all your lands...but this is the least likely play to happen i've ever seen. can you find the fastest realistic way instead? I mean the odds of both opponents having those cards, discarding those exact (very good and unlikely to be a prime discard choice) cards, AND GM having all of those cards at the right time is laughable. 

It's good that you worked this out Stevolutionary, not trying to take that away from you, but can you beat the OP's actual play which isn't so far fetched at all? He only needed three cards and some islands after all.

Was only intended to be a thought exercise. Don't see anywhere I claimed this was achievable in regular play (although often people do discard their highest cost cards, especially if mana screwed)

What about if partnered with a Jace who starts with Chancellor of the Spires?  your scenario seems much more likely if the Chancellor mills out the cards you need.  The whole gameplan becomes pretty feasible in my mind with that condition.
Of all things, Death is least permanent.
So I just pulled this off in a game using Crosswinds vs. Pack Instinct. Can you get to 23 lands on turn 6, like I did?

I've done it or very close to it with Odric's deck.

Orochi Colony, Planechase.