Timing with undying

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello,

when Demonlord of Ashmouth dies, do I have the time to cast something that exiles it from graveyard (so it doesnt come back with +1/+1)?

And (sort of) simmilar question: When Call to Mind is played I have to announce first what I want to bring back from gy. Does my opponent have the time to exile from gy the card I announced that I want to bring back? Or must he exile (if he wants to) something before I announce what I want to bring back?

1. Yes you can. Undying is a normal triggered ability: it uses the stack and can be responded to. So you can respond to the trigger by exiling the Demonlord and it will not return.

2. Targets are chosen when you announce the spell. So your opponent will know what instant or sorcery you target with the Call to Mind and can exile the card in response so you can't return it.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

when Demonlord of Ashmouth dies, do I have the time to cast something that exiles it from graveyard (so it doesnt come back with +1/+1)?

Yes. Undying is a perfectly normal triggered ability, and as such can be responded to. If your opponent exiles the Demonlord before that trigger resolves, it won't be able to come back.

And (sort of) simmilar question: When Call to Mind is played I have to announce first what I want to bring back from gy. Does my opponent have the time to exile from gy the card I announced that I want to bring back? Or must he exile (if he wants to) something before I announce what I want to bring back?

You have to announce the target as you're casting the spell; when your opponent responds to it he'll know exactly what you targeted, and yes, he can exile whatever you wanted to return.

It's actually impossible for your opponent to exile things in between you saying you're casting Call to Mind and you announcing what you're bringing back.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yes, you may Cremate a Demonlord of Ashmouth after it dies, and before it re-enters the battlefield.

Yes, the target of Call to Mind is announced as part of casting the spell. Your opponent is then free to respond. He can Cremate the card you targeted, and that will cause Call to Mind to be countered, because its only target is now illegal. 
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
Thank you guys.! ;)