Group Therapy: Phelddagrif

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Awhile back I made a deck using Jenara, Asura of War. I've never actually put this deck together just because it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. So I'm drawing some inspiration from that deck to put together my new deck. And Jenara will be put on the back burner for future considerations.

So let's start by introducing my Commander: Phelddagrif

Yep, he's a purple hippo. So there's always some style points for that. Is he original? Not really, Group Hug decks have been around for a long time.

Why I chose Phelddagrif?

I am generally a very offensive player in my playgroup. I play a hyper-aggresive Edric, Spymaster of Trest complete with fast creatures and stall effects to slow down the rest of my opponents. It's a pretty oppresive and offensive deck. I also play a Kresh, the Bloodbraided, that is fairly offensive too. It's not quite as powerful as Edric, but can still be pretty oppressive to anyone that's not playing larger than 5 toughness creatures. So with that in mind, I decided to pick up on playing a deck that potentially paints me as a lesser target. I imagine I will really only be a lesser target a few times.

Strategy?

I've always been a fan of the enchantress decks. So I will be including all of the enchantress cards except Yavimaya Enchantress and Kor Spiritdancer. I'm excluding these because I'm not going to be focusing on auras. I will be focusing on setting up a pillow fort then hitting up with either my general using exalted themes or an enchantment via Opalescence. While I don't expect to win everytime, I'm including answers to all the decks in my current metagame.

Decklist

Commander
Phelddagrif

Creatures-19
Noble Hierarch
Argothian Enchantress
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Qasali Pridemage
Femeref Enchantress
Verduran Enchantress
Mesa Enchantress
Eternal Witness
Giltspire Avenger
Silent Arbiter
Solemn Simulacrum
Windborn Muse
Academy Rector
Sublime Archangel
Stoic Archangel
Rafiq of the Many
Consecrated Sphinx
Isperia, Supreme Judge
Empyrial Archangel

Enchantments-21
Land Tax
Soothsaying
Rest in Peace
Energy Field
Luminarch Ascension
Compulsion
Sterling Grove
Rhystic Study
Enchantress's Presence
Dueling Grounds
Defense of the Heart
Collective Restraint
Opalescence
Leyline of Sanctity
Leyline of Singularity
Levitation
Aurification
Ivory Mask
Parallel Thoughts
Mirari's Wake
Finest Hour

Planeswalkers-3
Gideon Jura
Jace, Architect of Thought
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Artifacts-3
Sol Ring
Pithing Needle
Chromatic Lantern

Instant/Sorcery-16
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Enlightened Tutor
Worldly Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Regrowth
Eladamri's Call
Hindering Light
Azorius Charm
Idyllic Tutor
Hinder
Spell Crumple
Voidslime
Bant Charm
Wrath of God
Replenish

I feel like alot of Group Hug decks fail in winning. So this is my take on having significant win conditions. It tries to play on the back burner until you can play your significant threats.

Specific card choices:
Pithing Needle This deck can fold pretty hard against Oblivion Stone.
Leyline of Singularity There are 2 decks in my meta that rely heavily on tokens. This can slow or shut them down.
I'd like to fit in Parallax Wave, Helix Pinnacle, and potentially a Crop Rotation. Any suggestions?