RtR sealed deck help

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So my second time playing RtR sealed. Not sure what I am missing, but I seem to be struggling to figure out this format, and the right way to build decks. There are some nice bombs (e.g., Pack Rat which won the 1 game I drew it), but it did not feel like there was a particularly coherent deck in this pool.

Pool first and then my thoughts in spoilers.

1 Aerial Predation
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Armory Guard
1 Axebane Stag
1 Azorius Charm
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Azorius Keyrune
1 Azor's Elocutors
1 Batterhorn
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Brushstrider
1 Call of the Conclave
1 Cancel
1 Chaos Imps
1 Chronic Flooding
1 Civic Saber
2 Cobblebrute
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Dark Revenant
1 Detention Sphere
1 Deviant Glee
1 Dramatic Rescue
1 Dreg Mangler
1 Drudge Beetle
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Electrickery
1 Essence Backlash
1 Faerie Impostor
1 Fall of the Gavel
2 Goblin Electromancer
1 Goblin Rally
2 Grim Roustabout
1 Guild Feud
1 Horncaller's Chant
1 Hussar Patrol
2 Inaction Injunction
1 Inspiration
1 Isperia's Skywatch
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Keening Apparition
1 Launch Party
1 Lyev Skyknight
1 Minotaur Aggressor
1 Ogre Jailbreaker
1 Pack Rat
1 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Psychic Spiral
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Rakdos Guildgate
1 Rakdos Ragemutt
1 Rakdos Shred-Freak
1 Rites of Reaping
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Runewing
1 Selesnya Guildgate
1 Spawn of Rix Maadi
2 Splatter Thug
1 Stab Wound
2 Sunspire Griffin
1 Survey the Wreckage
1 Swift Justice
1 Tablet of the Guilds
1 Tenement Crasher
2 Tower Drake
2 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal
1 Trestle Troll
1 Trostani's Judgment
1 Urban Burgeoning
1 Vandalblast
1 Vassal Soul
1 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
1 Voidwielder

Show
Golgari seemed like a reasonable base, with some removal, and reasonable creatures, but without enough playables I had to stretch either in to Red or White.

Of the 2 options for a 2nd guild, Selesnya had the Guildmage going for it, but little else I felt (there were not enough token producers to make the few populate cards viable), while Rakdos with 2x Splatter Thugs and 1x Chaos Imp felt gave me both the option to push early and to a decent game ending flyer.

At the end of the day, neither options seemed particularly consistent, and struggled to finish the game (games usually ended with the opponent at 2-5 life, but having stabilized).

So, what do you think was the most appropriate build for the pool? 

In addition, sstill learning to evaluate cards, so questions for the more seasoned RtR players:
1. What would you have built with the pool
1. How strong is Grim Roustabout in a Rakdos deck? I only played 1 of the 2 because it felt like a 2/2 was rapidly outclassed.
2. Assuming you go with the Golgari/Rakdos plan, what creatures would you play in the 4-drop spot: Towering Indrik or Cobblebrute or both?
3. How good is Tenement Crasher?

Thanks for any inputs.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Thanks Tymestalker. That was pretty much the deck I played, but in playing the mana-base was awkward. Red as a 3rd color had some important 3 drops (2 Splatter Thugs) that was not always guaranteed, which made the beatdown plan challenging. 

I have been reviewing the pool to see if there was something different, and a Azorius with splash seemed possible. You have a more stable base, with what appears to be 17-19 playables (with 6 3cc flyers - 2x Sunspire Griffin, 2x Tower Drake, Lyev Skyknight and Vassal Soul) so that your 3rd color can be a lighter splash (either a slightly more awkward but more powerful Black splash for Launch Party, Pack Rats, Stab Wound, and a Jailbreaker to hold the ground, or Green for Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage, Call of the Conclave, Courser's Accord, and Towering Indrik to hold the ground).

I'm really liking this set, complex and fun!

If anyone else has any opinions, would love to hear them. 
1. What would you have built with the pool

I agreed with you Jund is the best choice. Pac Rat is a card can win game alone and Chaos Imps is powerful too.  2 Grim Roustabout, 2 Splatter Thug and Rakdos Shred-Freak make your deck very quick. Annihilating FireLaunch PartyStab Wound and Rites of Reaping help you remove those blockers. The only problem is mana-base. 

BTW: Is there anyone tell me how to edit deck without MagicOnline?

2. How strong is Grim Roustabout in a Rakdos deck? I only played 1 of the 2 because it felt like a 2/2 was rapidly outclassed.

Grim Roustabout performs well in a Rakdos deck, especially quick deck. The generation ability makes it a good earlier attacker and a good later blocker.

3. Assuming you go with the Golgari/Rakdos plan, what creatures would you play in the 4-drop spot: Towering Indrik or Cobblebrute or both?

As your mana-base is not good, it depends on the major color, Golgari or Rakdos.

4. How good is Tenement Crasher?

Not bad. 

According to Tymestalker's deck, I may replace Batterhorn by some other green/black card. 
I kind of like the Azorius deck here... it's not as bomby as the R/B/G, but it way more consistent.

CREATURES
Faerie Imposter
Keening Apparition
Azorius Keyrune
Lyev Skyknight
Sunspire Griffin x2
Tower Drake x2
Vassal Soul
Armory Guard
Hussar Patrol
Runewing
Azor's Elocutors
Voidwielder
Isperia's Skywatch

OTHER SPELLS
Detention Sphere
Dramatic Rescue
Inspiration
Trostani's Judgement
Azorius Charm
Cancel
Inaction Injuction x2

General game plan is for your fliers to win the day, while you use  Detain + Removal + Bounce + High toughness men (Guard, Voidwielder, Elocutors, Patrol, Tower Drakes) to hold the ground.  Azorious Charm-Lifelink should mean that you win races when you draw it.  And the same stuff you use to hold the ground can tie up their bombs long enough for you to win.

I don't know if I like splashing a third color here...  Griffins and Tower Drakes want a lot of white mana, and splashing would hurt that.

Sign In to post comments