10/23/2012 RC: "Attacking for 22 on Turn Three"

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This deck confuses me... what are the specific cards you want to cast in the first three turns in order to attack for 22 on turn three?
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Here's one way to do it:

First turn: Forest, Abundant Growth
Second turn: Plains, Fencing Ace
Third turn: Plains, Three Ethereal Armors; attack for 26.

You could also substitute one of the Armors with a Rancor and still be attacking for 22.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The changes although good defeat the purpose of this deck. it was a cheap deck that probably costed less than $60 and ended games extremely fast. now its around $200+ deck that has some improvements but leaves much to be desired. Im sorry but a t3 geist still means you have to wait til t4 before you do any damage. If anything this deck doesnt need green but red instead. Use those fast creatures to hit hard and burn out the opponent if your unable to seal the deal early.
Here's one way to do it:

First turn: Forest, Abundant Growth
Second turn: Plains, Fencing Ace
Third turn: Plains, Three Ethereal Armors; attack for 26.

You could also substitute one of the Armors with a Rancor and still be attacking for 22.

Gotcha... I must not have been paying too much attention when I read Ethereal Armor.  Yeah, that is pretty awesome.

As for the suggestion of Red, that would be good too, adding some really efficient creatures to the mix, like that one everyone complained about when it was previewed (Sorry, its 5 am, I forget its name). Athough I don't think I would take out green, because trample is quite significant if you want to get through quickly and not just have your double-striker chump blocked until they can stabilize. (Especially since without trample, 1 creature blocks both attacks even if it dies after the first one)
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
I think Gavin gave up on the longer-game version of the deck too easily, enchanted by the notion of a turn 3 win that sounds exceedingly unlikely. He had me with him until he started talking about playing three auras on turn 3 on the same creature. While possible, it wouldn't come up much and the deck as presented doesn't have much of a plan B.

I'd rather have seen the Bruna, Light of Alabaster/Righteous Authority version of the deck expanded upon.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Aaaaand, that makes three of my decks to become honorable mentions! (Greg Peck's BUG Midrange)
I like the infinite Deadeye deck! That's an amusing setup. Not sure how plausible it is to get Axebane + Deadeye + Looter + another 2 walls all on the table at once, but it'll be awesome when it does happen.
I think Gavin gave up on the longer-game version of the deck too easily, enchanted by the notion of a turn 3 win that sounds exceedingly unlikely. He had me with him until he started talking about playing three auras on turn 3 on the same creature. While possible, it wouldn't come up much and the deck as presented doesn't have much of a plan B.

I'd rather have seen the Bruna, Light of Alabaster/Righteous Authority version of the deck expanded upon.

I agree. He ended up with an awkward mana base, having to play 24 lands in a deck that tops out at casting cost 3, having no first turn creatures and only seven total ways of getting double strike.

If the double strike is the plan, I'd skip blue, add Champion of the Parish, up the Silverblade Paladin count to four and Ajani to three. With a double striking attacker, you don't need more than one big attack, so the Ethereal Armor plan is not better than Giant Growth and Titanic Growth.

A Bruna, Light of Alabaster Angel deck with Call to the Kindred would be neat.
"Todd's RUG Land Destruction" made me think about a combo I used in M13 sealed, where I recurred Acidic Slime using Roaring Primadox. I don't think a dedicated LD deck has any chance of working with the current card pool, but flooding the opponent with comes into play effects may be doable with Roaring Primadox and Infinite Reflection, possibly Deadeye Navigator. Mana elves including Elvish Archdruid and Elvish Visionary, Acidic Slime and Thragtusk for copying or recurring. Elvish Visionary is fine with Roaring Primadox and Deadeye Navigator, Elvish Archdruid is good with Infinite Reflection, Acidic Slime and Thragtusk are ok with Roaring Primadox and absolutely nuts with Infinite Reflection and Deadeye Navigator.

Has anybody tried somehing like this?
how is Pacifism good answer for Thragtusk when it is usually acompanied with blink effects?
how is Pacifism good answer for Thragtusk when it is usually acompanied with blink effects?

Yeah, I don't think Pacifism is any good in a format with Restoration Angel, I agree with you.

I do think that Martial Law is a pretty reasonable Thragtusk answer in concert with other things... Blinking gets them "out" of it still, but only for one turn instead of permanently. Still need other cards to assist, though. 
The part I found most interesting was 24 lands. When the deck curve stops at 3, and only 7 cards (11.6% of the deck) 24 lands just seems redundant. In a deck going for the speed game, drawing land 3 (when you don't have or want to play one of the 3 drops) or 4 is just one less spell to close the deal with. Couple that with the abundant growths, I don't think the deck should be running more than 22 lands, possibly as low as 20.

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

i wish i was going to redo my own deck (usa control),but im totally going for the deadeye deck. awesome will ensue!
"Todd's RUG Land Destruction" made me think about a combo I used in M13 sealed, where I recurred Acidic Slime using Roaring Primadox. I don't think a dedicated LD deck has any chance of working with the current card pool, but flooding the opponent with comes into play effects may be doable with Roaring Primadox and Infinite Reflection, possibly Deadeye Navigator. Mana elves including Elvish Archdruid and Elvish Visionary, Acidic Slime and Thragtusk for copying or recurring. Elvish Visionary is fine with Roaring Primadox and Deadeye Navigator, Elvish Archdruid is good with Infinite Reflection, Acidic Slime and Thragtusk are ok with Roaring Primadox and absolutely nuts with Infinite Reflection and Deadeye Navigator.

Has anybody tried somehing like this?

I have a Roaring Primadox deck that uses Stonehorn Dignitary and other neat ETB effect cards like Pelakka Wurm Stingerfling Spider Acidic Slime, Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, Borderland Ranger and Elvish Visionary.

Take a while to get rolling, but when it does....... I have decked myself with this one.

The Dignitary seems like a potential "I win" card. I'm unsure about the Beast Tracker usefulness unless one could build a "toolbox" with silver bullets for different decks. Mainly that it's a bit slow and can't fetch Primadox, Deadeye Navigator, Thragtusk or Restoration Angel.
The changes although good defeat the purpose of this deck. it was a cheap deck that probably costed less than $60 and ended games extremely fast.

When building, Gavin takes the deck, tries to identify what its concept should be (thus making it his own), and builds it without constraints. When it comes to price, he won't build a deck that is a budget knockoff of another deck. Having a deck strictly worse than another is no method for success.
The Dignitary seems like a potential "I win" card. I'm unsure about the Beast Tracker usefulness unless one could build a "toolbox" with silver bullets for different decks. Mainly that it's a bit slow and can't fetch Primadox, Deadeye Navigator, Thragtusk or Restoration Angel.

Beast Tracker allows you to search for deathtouch, hexproof, reach, or trample. Even if it can't search out a primadox, it's still an awesome card for going and getting the creature you need for that point in time. As far as getting a Primadox, I put in deck distillation in the form of farseek and Ranger's Path and cross fingers.
I am actually surprised that anyone complains about what Gavin does.  He builds good decks.  Its a fact.  Maybe you could spend less of your time trying to complain and instead become a better Magic player.  How does that sound?
I likewise support the making of good, off the wall decks. I enjoy good budget decks as well, but appreciate the existence of a column that tries to make interesting and good decks without budget constraints. In terms of the the challenge...

I chose to tune the Bant Seance list.

This deck has massive lifegain to help vs aggro. Against decks that lack instant speed removal, the lab maniac kill can provide inevitability (copy mirror-mad to mill yourself, seance maniac in upkeep). You can even side into a bant goodstuff deck to dodge graveyard hate, and have access to powerful cards like clone to stop legends and help deal with angel of serenity (along with charm, which also deals with gisela, thragtusk, and trigger happy olivia).

Beast Tracker allows you to search for deathtouch, hexproof, reach, or trample. Even if it can't search out a primadox, it's still an awesome card for going and getting the creature you need for that point in time. As far as getting a Primadox, I put in deck distillation in the form of farseek and Ranger's Path and cross fingers.

Apparently the deck idea was good. Blinking With a Deadeye

Apparently the deck idea was good. Blinking With a Deadeye

Any time you have an ETB effect, and a way to trigger it every turn......... I saw Roaring Primadox and knew I had a cornerstone. I also have a splicer deck built around him. I know there are other great decks out there using him, not to mention having a spot in my Karador EDH deck. Just a great creature card.

I like the infinite Deadeye deck! That's an amusing setup. Not sure how plausible it is to get Axebane + Deadeye + Looter + another 2 walls all on the table at once, but it'll be awesome when it does happen.

actually, all u need is: Deadeye navigator, Axbane guardian, Village bell ringer, and Lobber crew.
Infinite damage to all opponents.
also, u can do it with two elves and abundant growth on a forest.
plus any infinite mana combo generally wins the game, as does the "i make tons of mana and activate wolf run" plan