good Paragon oneshot

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
My game-night group and I are trying 4e. we have a major preference for other systems but we want to give 4e a shot because of the "how do you know if you never tried" thing. I'm a player and our DM is using Scales of War. I've heard it's can be a bit of a meat grinder, especially if you don't have an optimal party or ripped from the op boards PCs. We did okay on the starting heroic level, but not a single person would rate the system higher then other systems(general opinion ranged from "meh" to "hated it") we were told to try Paragon so we are going to and our DM is still using SoW. I want to find a good little starting Paragon one-shot that is relatively easy on the players. Something for Level 12 that has some decent but not make it or die skill challenges and a few good combats not of the min/maxed or die unless you have suntsu level tactics. They can be in it just not the Major part of the one-shot. It needs to be quick preferablely not ment to have level ups. Just a one night thing.

note: I know little about SoW just that I've heard is it's a meat grinder and I don't feel running through meat grinder is a fair way to judge a system.
My game-night group and I are trying 4e. we have a major preference for other systems but we want to give 4e a shot because of the "how do you know if you never tried" thing. I'm a player and our DM is using Scales of War. I've heard it's can be a bit of a meat grinder, especially if you don't have an optimal party or ripped from the op boards PCs. We did okay on the starting heroic level, but not a single person would rate the system higher then other systems(general opinion ranged from "meh" to "hated it") we were told to try Paragon so we are going to and our DM is still using SoW. I want to find a good little starting Paragon one-shot that is relatively easy on the players. Something for Level 12 that has some decent but not make it or die skill challenges and a few good combats not of the min/maxed or die unless you have suntsu level tactics. They can be in it just not the Major part of the one-shot. It needs to be quick preferablely not ment to have level ups. Just a one night thing.

note: I know little about SoW just that I've heard is it's a meat grinder and I don't feel running through meat grinder is a fair way to judge a system.

scales of war is awful. try this, its my fave 4e adventure. its for level 10-12 so if you need to boost the difficulty, add a monster here or there. its mainly exploration. you will thank me for it, it really dumps on scales or war hardcore

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...
Honestly, if you're only just trying it, I wouldn't try it at mid-paragon.  You'll find it difficult to get used to the mechanics, there will be WAY too much to track (even coming from a background of gaming already) and way too much to grok the differences and distinctions which have arisen since whatever game you previously played.  You're setting yourselves up to hate it if you try to learn at too complex a level.

I would recommend starting at level 5, possibly even lower, and working your way into the game before jumping on to the higher levels. 
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Sign In to post comments