PS3 2HG league

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
* This league is always open to new members *

RULES

1 Teams standing is based on win percentage.  A team must play 10 games before it is eligable to join the leaderboards.
2  Each player of each team gets to pick a deck, that they will have available to them throughout their time in the league.  This deck is chosen at the time of entering, and cannot be changed.  *Please refrain from choosing obviosly exploitable deck combinations*
3  Each round each player is given 2 random decks to play for each round.  Every round all three games must be played. 
4  If for some reason, you are un-able to play your round in 7 days, your round will forfeit, and neither player will recieve wins.  
5  If any team geos 2 consecutive round without playing, they will be removed from the league.  Some exceptions may apply.  If a team is having trouble connecting to their opposing team, then they may play their round against another team in the league, if nobody objects.
6  The original 5 teams will be able to vote on any changes or additions to the rules. a 3/5 majority is needed.  

If you are not serious about playing, and have sufficient free time to hook up with three other players, who may be in dramatically different time zones then please do not join the league.

Current players:

Devilwuster
killa

Eaglenightwillow
Felbatista

Aaron
Dvestal

Crysus
12345guy

Tripp
Karstein
im in as always i manage my time well so ill always find time to play.

p.s im out if there to many no shows playing 
I'll play.

Even if people quit, and the league folds, I'll just be in the same position as I am currently, anyway.
I am always willing to play.  And I am always on more than enough to play. psn id is EagleNiteWillow1.

EDIT: Before I totally commit I want to  know how we are doing the decks first.       
How to do the decks is a great question: im leaning towards anything goes, but the prior ways are good too. When I get home ill post some concepts and we can vote on them.
Can everyone post their timezone and a general time they are available?

Killabkilledb -- eastern US......usually any night after 10pm works for me until very late if need be except Saturday night and Sundays from 11pm on... Sunday is not good during football season, I am available Sat morning before 2pm and Monday-Wednesday I usually have afternoon and evenings free...
Killa got banned again? Ddn't he just get back, like, today? 

Nevermind...not sure if i'm in yet Aaron, just want to see how the decks are handled first. Not a fan of anything goes, though some choice would be good. I hope you come up with something fun, and good luck in the league.  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
a chance to play against karstien and killa lol count me in 
option 1:  Anything goes, but no deck is used twice during a round.  If you play OD, and CW on round one, then niether player can use either deck again until round two.  

option 2:  5 or 3 randomly chosen decks for each player each round.  

option 3:  Each player gets a locked deck that they may use once each round of the tournament, plus 2 or 4 random decks each round.

i like option 2 
a chance to play against karstien and killa lol count me in 

I doubt Karstien will play if its rule number one. too much exploitation of already tried and true strategies. I personally like the idea of one set deck with the rest random but I don't know if I'll even attempt to participate this time, seeing how the last two were botched. (I won't point fingers) And I'm kinda certain karstien won't enter without me as his partner as well.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
The third attempt at 1v1 is going well.
When the first tournemant started, me, and several others said that It would take awhile to get to a core group that can actually get together.  Both tourneys ended with tech/social problems with the OP.  Some players weren't playing, but alot were.
 I have a feeling option 2 is whats gonna go down anyways, as were all pretty tired of the classic combos.  
Tripp is absolutely correct on both counts, so i'll need to talk it over with him as to whether we enter. I hope we can, since it really isn't taking much of our time, botched or not. At least the second one didn't, lol. 

I vote option 3, obviously. I wanted that system for a reason, I believe it will work excellently, giving both the random option people will want and something to fall back on in case of emergencies/really bad deck draws.  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
too much exploitation of already tried and true strategies.

If you truly feel like some pairings/strategies are OP, having the decks random simply lends itself to the likelihood that one pair randomly gets access to those pairings, while the other group doesn't.  If the goal is to "force diversity" are there better ways to accomplish this goal?
too much exploitation of already tried and true strategies.

If you truly feel like some pairings/strategies are OP, having the decks random simply lends itself to the likelihood that one pair randomly gets access to those pairings, while the other group doesn't.  If the goal is to "force diversity" are there better ways to accomplish this goal?

Did you see the word OP in there? No? I thought so. I'm saying it's boring seeing lifegain/mill, mill/kill, chandra/GM, and the like all the time.

Which poses the question, why must almost every combo have mill in it? That deck really is as close to OP in 2HG as it gets, seeing as it still has the same 60 cards to mill, a partner to block/lifegain, while the opponent has to try knock off 30 health. Not that I'm complaining seeing as DP gets steamrolled in most other formats. 
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
I like option 1 because everybody is on the same footing, theres no bad luck deck draws to affect the out-come on top of bad card draws/mana shortages etc.  Nobody can say well, no wonder we lost, they drew GM/BoF, and We got MS/PI...etc  That being said, option 3 works pretty well, as It gives you real options for at least 1, but probably 2 games each round.
I like option 1.
Killa banned or suspended?
I have always wanted this league to be a reality, I just didn't have the time to organize.
Killa and I have never had a problem being ready to game, we just couldn't hook up with opponent.
I thought about it for a few days and I would like to get back in this, but without killa as a partner I would have to pull someone from outside (for now) the forum.

So hat's in the ring. Let's see what happens with killa. I'll pm him this evening.
Id: thedevilwuster
Zone: US central
Available: pretty much any time after 5 pm.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Killa is still a member of psn, and therefore not inhibited from playing matche, just posting about them.  He knows I want him to play, but I think he's more interested in playing the new Call of Duty.
Guess he's been banned. Just noticed his and Droneon's Avatars have been removed from previous posts.
Let me reach out to my playerbase this evening and see if I can find a partner and get them to join the forum.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

A few question about this 1) do you have to have your partner sign up on this forum? 2) How long is this gonna last cause bo2 is out in nov 13th? 3) When can we get this thing going and how are you gonna pick who's faceing who? Killa is banned no way  here's my shock faceSurprised

Pacific time afternoon/evening  no late night on fri/sat/or sun
i will only be in if it is option 2 or 3
Now that I'm back to business here, I want my name on the ballot.

PSN ID: felbatista
Zone: I'm from Brazil. I think it's GMT -3, but I'm not 100% sure.
Avaiable at evenings.

Also, I suggested this before, but I'll do it again since I think it's an idea worth discussion. Give every team 3 random decks to use in each game, and the teams can choose the other 3 decks to pair with the 3 set decks. It's simple, the random lovers are happy, the combo lovers are happy and it doesn't require much work.

On another note, I reeeeeally need a partner with I want to play this. Any volunteers?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Now that I'm back to business here, I want my name on the ballot.

PSN ID: felbatista
Zone: I'm from Brazil. I think it's GMT -3, but I'm not 100% sure.
Avaiable at evenings.

Also, I suggested this before, but I'll do it again since I think it's an idea worth discussion. Give every team 3 random decks to use in each game, and the teams can choose the other 3 decks to pair with the 3 set decks. It's simple, the random lovers are happy, the combo lovers are happy and it doesn't require much work.

On another note, I reeeeeally need a partner with I want to play this. Any volunteers?

I will team with you fel, you are on my list already and it would be fun.
Kinda hoping you lose out on that Eagle. I pm'd him a couple of minutes after his post.
:-p

Show

Kinda hoping you lose out on that Eagle. I pm'd him a couple of minutes after his post. :-p

noooooo
I have an idea.. If we just kept track of win percentages, we could keep the league ongoing, and be able to add/drop teams with virtually no disruption to the league.
I hope you don't mind, devil, but I saw eagle's message before yours. You shouldn't be mad, thought, since I'm not even good to start with Tongue Out

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Ahhh crap.
I was thinking of asking Geglio but he didn't seem to enjoy 2hg much. Could have been because I was playing (makes the drinky, drinky motion) casual.
I've got a couple of prospects that are actually forum member who just don't post much.

Show

Alright.
Got ahold of killa and received a 3 day ban so count our team in.

Show

I'm gonna pair crysus, and 12345 guy until they both have partners, and start a prelim round to get things started.  I'm editing the title post with the league's rules, feel free to argue about them, and if the "Tribe of elders" votes to change the rules, then so be it.  If cyrus and 12345 want to pair with others then they can. 

Tripp2300 and myself are in. Just confirming it. Prelim round?

EDIT: Ooops. forgot to mention that this is based on the deck rules not being option one. Any of the other two, and we're in. Best to mention it, seems important.  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Yes, option 1 is kind of scetchy.

Show

Just posted the rules.
 Yeah, prelim round is an off way of saying it, just call it the first round.  I can't post randoms until every one chooses a primary deck though..

You may pick a name for your team if you'd like.  I think magic based is best ie. card names, guilds, etc.

This rules base I set up is designed to be casual and long-term, so regardless of what happens, theres no pressure, and we can all just have fun playing great competitive games of 2hg.

I will pair teams randomly for now, maybe we can do "special rules rounds" later once everything is flowing smoothly.

Perhaps we could not pair teams and let them just play whomever they want when ever, and just change decks every week, sounds a bit sketchy though.

* This league is always open to new members *

RULES

1 Teams standing is based on win percentage. < 1A team must play 10 games before it is eligable to join the leaderboards.
2  Each player of each team gets to pick a deck, that they will have available to them throughout their time in the league.  This deck is chosen at the time of entering, and cannot be changed.  < 2 >*Please refrain from choosing obviosly exploitable deck combinations*
3  Each round each player is given 2 random decks to play for each round.  Every round all three games must be played. 
4  If for some reason, you are un-able to play your round in < 35 days, your round will forfeit, and neither player will recieve wins.  
5  If any team geos 2 consecutive round without playing, they will be removed from the league.  Some exceptions may apply.  If a team is having trouble connecting to their opposing team, then they may play their round against another team in the league, if nobody objects.
6  The original 5 teams will be able to vote on any changes or additions to the rules. a 3/5 majority is needed.  

If you are not serious about playing, and have sufficient free time to hook up with three other players, who may be in dramatically different time zones then please do not join the league.

Okay, a few questions. 

1: We have to play ten games to even start on the leaderboards? That's 50 days by your estimate, if you manage to hook up for every game, which we all already know isn't always possible. 
2: Which combos would these be? I know we will expect to see ones that are rather common, that is the point of the random aspect, but no combo is truly exploitable, all can be beat, and limiting the choice of these ones may as well be saying DON'T PICK MILL in large neon letters, because it is the only 2HG deck with an unfair advantage. 
3: We have already seen that some teams can only just get the game in with a whole week, we are limiting this even more now? Is this really wise? I managed to play my games, sure, but I can't always sign in every day. 

EDIT: I just saw the 'anybody plays anybody every week' suggestion too and...to keep up with the fact that some teams couldn't adhere to the structure of the previous one, you seem to be removing it all from this one. I'm just saying that if this keeps up, it may as well be a MTG tea party, not a tournament. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Yeah, just discussing, everything is up to be changed.  I designed the rules for sustainability, and permanence..  Win percentages get put up immediatly.  We can do single elim, if that's what people want.  10 games is four rounds, which is 4 weeks, or less.  As for the deck combo sugestion, I'm not limiting anyone from playing any deck/or combo of decks.  You decide what's fun, and what's not.  I meant to put 7 days in there, and thats a typo.
This is what, the third attempt to make a 2HG league in this forum? I think we should keep the rules as simple as possible, do something that won't take forever to end, see what worked and what not and them do something bigger. No need to rush.

Also, I think it would be cool to name the teams after some flavorful magic cards. Right now, we have 5 teams. What about Two-Headed Dragon, Splinter Twin, Armada Wurm, Brothers Yamazaki and Broodmate Dragon?

I agree with fel on simplicity.
Not to sound like this may be taken, but I am the lead construction engineering inspector on a multi-million dollar project and I like to "dumb it down" a little when I get home.
Not that I won't play to my best ability, but simpler rules would be, well,....
more simple.

Show

Im hearing single elim. We only have 5 teams to date, need 6 for a pod..
I propose this for simplicity...

All players choose 5 decks but you MUST use all five of your decks before double dipping.
In addition, teammates CANNOT choose any overlappin decks. Therefore, each team uses 10 total decks...

This promotes variety in the torunament and means you don't have to play DP/SS every round of the tourny....

A challonge is set up.....Every team plays every other team once.... (5 rounds if we have 6 teams) and the the top 2 teams play a playoff series with refreshed decks to determine the winner.

Before starting a 20 match league that will take 4 months....we should try to run something quick and easy like this as this is the 3rd 2HG tournament we tried to run in the last month...

Not just because he's my team mate and at first his simplicity seemed complicated, but killa's suggestion is sound.

Show