New Edition Original Lore

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Expanding the lore is one thing, rewriting the cosmos and shoehorning everything in the new edition invalidating back story is anouther. I hats the latter, and that more than anything else up set me on 4th, I could have learn to tollerate 4th, but rewriting the cosmology including the Dragonborn as major race, or biggest yet importing the Warforged to other settings. I'm of the school of GM where I do not have to say yes, I can and will use the No.
I am a fluff snob, so please don't do what you did to my favorite 3rd edition setting in fourth again.
Expanding the lore is one thing, rewriting the cosmos and shoehorning everything in the new edition invalidating back story is anouther. I hats the latter, and that more than anything else up set me on 4th, I could have learn to tollerate 4th, but rewriting the cosmology including the Dragonborn as major race, or biggest yet importing the Warforged to other settings. I'm of the school of GM where I do not have to say yes, I can and will use the No.
I am a fluff snob, so please don't do what you did to my favorite 3rd edition setting in fourth again.

Parallel universe

In order to become an official DM, you have to find one, challenge him to combat, kill him and take his books... -Mad_Jack GLimle:o7 Ffarqhuar:miss. b3
1) Warforged 'migrated' to other settings with the 3.5 books Monster Manual 3 and Races of Eberron, both designed for use as much outside Eberron as in (trust me on the RoE bit, it was a /huge/ topic when it came out).

2) The dragonborn weren't made a 'major' race; they're just this side of rare even where they're most common, and still mistaken quite often for lizardfolk.

3) With cosmology... The only changes were a couple of new names tacked onto existing planes, and Baator. I can agree on Baator, but really how hard is it to ignore? Not to mention, Keith Baker wrote an excellent Eye on Eberron that sort of 'redeemed' that in my eyes.

IOW, none of this is invalidating prior content at all, nor is any of it shoehorning (Baator notwithstanding).
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Erm....what is the OP saying? Is he saying, "Don't change my setting"?

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
That's what I got out of it, anyways.

What's weird is that he says expansion of the setting is fine, but then decries the dborn, which were handled very well. Contrast that with some of the terrible conversions done in the PGtE. :/
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Ehh, I think the Dragonborn were handled well enough-... After the article on Q'bara I'm liking them. What I really love is the Feyspires and Eladrin-... I can agree on Cosmology, but that's ignorable. I really don't see what's wrong with adapting Warforged to other settings, would never use them outside of Eberron or my own constructed settings, but it's good to have suggestions.

Eh, as long as they don't change the cosmology any further in the next addition, I'll welcome any possible additions to the setting. Hopefully, others will agree.
To a point I saying don't change the setting, I'm fine with evolution, but by changing the themes or core values of the campaign, giving superman a clone of Lex Luther/Kal El as a new member of his family is fine, having Bruce hang up the cowl and train Terry Macguines to replace him, or even allow Dick to take up the mantle, or allowing him to get married. Turning Superman into a broody, black wearing antihero is not cool, making the Bruce into a nonritch guy because we don't relate to billionaires. All I'm saying is respect the cannon, build on it, expand what is known, rewriteing it because you don't know what to do with it, is dumb. And yes I like the new 52, but it respects the core values of the DC universe cosmology, it expands on it, and due to time travel shinanigans from the Barry Allen Flash the world is different.
Stupid tablet tablet makes it hard to type responces.
With cosmology... The only changes were a couple of new names tacked onto existing planes, and Baator. I can agree on Baator, but really how hard is it to ignore? Not to mention, Keith Baker wrote an excellent Eye on Eberron that sort of 'redeemed' that in my eyes.

I'm glad to hear it. Frankly, the shoehorning of Baator was something that bothered ME about 4E; with the EoE article I was able to come up with a logical way to include it that still fit with my original view of the cosmology.
Yeah, its easy to get up in arms about "Things shouldn't change, you should stand up for the setting!" when we're on this side of the screen.  Over there on your side, you gotta deal with the "These changes are manditory.  We are coming to you first as a courtesy.  Work them in as best you can, or we'll simply fire you, cut you off from the setting as a whole, and get one of the interns to do it instead" stuff.

I do agree with the OP's sentimate though.  Being forced to change the setting just so it lines up with arbitrary rules changes sucks.
Also there is a thing called setting identity, not everything has to align, and the few things I identify with Eberron is the dream born Kalashtar, the Inspired of Ridera, the Warforged veterans of the last war, Shifters and changelings. By imigrating them to other settings cheapens them, it would be as off putting as putting the 9 hells or Lolth in because core D&D has it, or allowing a Priest of Vecna in Sharon or a Kyber Cult in Waterdeep. Though the things I did like from fourth were the idea of rituals and residuum. Just not the way they were implimented. For example adding something like residium to Eberron by saying its condenced arcane radiation useful for powering devices and infrastructure but extremely hazardous to life forms causing mutation and cancers. Residium often accumulates near points where the planes come in contact with the world. So various countries have residium plants generating power and refineing it for House Cannith for item manufacture. So one possible origin for the mourning was a residium plant melting down and exploding, but the question becomes why did it melt down?
I'll just note that it was always my intention that dragonshards were the "fuel" of the magical economy; it was simply never clear what made them so integral to the process. As a result, I say that residuum is highly processed Eberron dragonshards (you can use raw shards but with a far worse rate of return). So yes, residuum and rituals are something I like for the magical economy - though likewise, I change some things about how rituals work. One important change for me is that the Ritual Caster feat reflects a level of talent few NPCs can match. The typical Magewright can perform two or three specific rituals; he doesn't require a ritual book for these, but neither can he simply pick up a ritual book and perform a ritual he's never seen before. Thus, the locksmith can perform Arcane Lock or Knock - but if you want Augury, go to the oracle down the street. 
While I am all in favor of keeping settings unique, PC races and classes hardly ever make the setting unique. It is what you do with them, their culture and history (and even in that regards they are fairly minor in regards to what makes Eberron unique and fun). Even in 3E the goblins, orcs, gnomes, elves and dwarves of Eberron were hardly standard D&D issue. Warforged for example are not uniquely Eberron, but the fact that they have been created through creation forges, have all been created as soldiers for a great war, unexpectedly developed sapience and now are free citizens.

Why should other settings not use warforged or shifters if that makes sense for those particular settings. I am no big fan of the dragonborn in Eberron, but it is a reasonable sollution. I absolutely LOVE what has been done with the eladrin. It fits the setting like a glove and I always liked the more fairy-tale orientated fey. Tieflings fit any setting with demons. The rest have never been added to the setting, but I could easily come with perfect setting orientated explenations for any race (e.g. genasi are humans who used elemental binding rituals).

Cosmology is a bit of a bigger issue, and I am not even sure why they more or less forced it upon the setting. It is not as if 3E Eberron fitted the core cosmology ;)
Just getting back into DnD after a few years away with an Eberron game that a friend of mine will be running.  So glad it is going to be a 3.5 game.