What is the best class for a new player to learn?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
We will be starting up a new group soon and we will have 1 girl who has never played before.
What is the easiest to learn or the most fun to play class for a beginner?

3 of us plus the DM will be experienced players. The group may not get past 4 people but we are still looking for the 5th guy.

So far 1 person has created a Hunter and I am sitting back to see what everyone else has before I finalize my choice.

I might go Swordmage/Warlock(Darth Vader) with some changes, which would depend on if there is another person playing a defender.
If I need to be a Leader then I might go the old Killswitch route, which worked really well the last time we had it in game.

I also was really wanting to play a Hexblade at some point and haven't ever gotten the chance yet
I always wondered how good a Paladin/Warlock could be with that feat that changed your curse damage to d10s and Mindbite Scorn...

It looks like I will be a Defender or Leader and will need to be able to dish out some damage too if we don't get a 5th person.

Any help here would be appreciated.

I think the slayer is the most straight forward class to play. Just charge at things and hit them hard. Just make sure to give her a gouge before you send her into the fray. :-)
Easiest is going to be something like Slayer, Thief, or Executioner which pretty much only use Melee Basic Attacks + a #/Encounter augment, and some basic stances (hit better, damage better, move better). There's really not much choice in the creation process beyond race and theme (and even then, there's fairly clear "This is Better")

Most Fun? Things people enjoy are fairly hard to determine, typically you'd look for something that's Engaging (lots of movement, multiattacks, off-turn actions), Versatile (not utterly useless when Dazed, Immobilized, etc.), and Effective. Since this is pretty much the opposite of "easy to learn" you need to find something in the overlap of the venn diagram, which ends up pretty much always being the same class that always gets recommended for everything on this forum: Archer Ranger. You can't go wrong following the Shoot to Thrill build.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Non conditional strikers are probably the lowest difficulty level.  Something like a Slayer, Hexblade or Sorcerer/Elementalist, with an "always-on" damage bonus, and no worries about do I have X Cursed, or is Y my Quarry.  Fewer things to remember or worry about per turn, and once your new player gets the hang of it, they can pick up a more complex character.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Most classes are pretty simple at level 1.  If she's into the game she should be able to learn as she goes - I've seen plenty of newbies do this.  Reevaluate at level 3 or so when she has a better grasp of how the game works - she might want to dumb it down, or she might enjoy more complexity.
Slayer or elementalist.

Elementalist may be more fun, since it's Cha based, and will get the new person to talk more.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Elementalist is a good idea. As is a Thief (Dex-Cha) or Hexblade. Reason being that as that player starts to understand the gameplay and wants more technically advanced options, you can ease them into a higher level by switching them over to their parent classes, which will operate roughly the same way.

Slayer is balls-easy to play, but transitions to higher complexity poorly due to the cross-role of its parent class.
Elementalist also has the advantage of being a 10 square away operator, so the new player is unlikely to get swarmed and killed as long as they know to stay back a bit.

What level is this group starting at?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
Another advantage of going with a slayer or elementalist, is that it will put up big damage numbers, which will make the new person feel important to the group.  It's easy to feel you're the star when you're hitting for big numbers.

I'd recommend the elementalist, personally.  It's got range, so it's not quite as likely to get beat on.  Cha based is going to give her an opportunity to shine with NPC interaction skills such as bluff and diplomacy.  Finally, it's at-wills are slightly more interesting then simple MBA spamming on a slayer, so it's likely to be a bit more fun.
We will be starting up a new group soon and we will have 1 girl who has never played before.
What is the easiest to learn or the most fun to play class for a beginner?

I would need a lot more information before answering this one. A few questions to keep in mind:

1. How familiar is this person with the fantasy/science fiction/sword-and-sorcery genre in the first place?

2. If this person has a degree of familiarity, then what kinds of tropes and themes does she most enjoy?

3. How good at basic math is she?

4. What kinds of story conflicts does she like?

5. Does she enjoy simulated combat?

6. Does she enjoy acting out characters?

7. Is she more of a behind-the-scenes person or is she energetic and flashy?

8. What level are you guys starting at?

9. What if any mythical races does she like, and is anyone playing any weird races?

That is all off the top of my head. You should keep those in mind as you try and figure out the answer to your question, because those can (not always) determine what kind of a class a person will enjoy/play well. With all of that said, I never start beginners off with anything other than the basic player's handbook. Too many options overwhelm new players a lot of the time. Now for some guidelines. Not saying this person has a low attenion span, or new players have low attention spans, but unless she really isn't wowed by visual effects, pick something that can really blow stuff up. You want lots of damagein rapid succession, going everywhere, all the time. Really cool and interesting-sounding status effects are a good way to go too. If being flashy isn't high on the priority list, pick something that can take a licking and keep on smashing faces. Something with lots of health and armor, that can really bully enemies. Most importantly, make the player feel like she is contributing. Presence is everything.

Most classes are pretty simple at level 1.  If she's into the game she should be able to learn as she goes - I've seen plenty of newbies do this.  Reevaluate at level 3 or so when she has a better grasp of how the game works - she might want to dumb it down, or she might enjoy more complexity.

I second that. Even if she's totally new to roleplaying, any L1 character won't be to complex. Better choose a character concept that fits her personality, so she finds it easy to represent that character.

I've never met the new female player yet, she is the DM's girlfriend and we are all (unfortunately) mature players who remember buying our 1st edition books in book stores like Barnes & Noble and B.Dalton Books. I'm going to assume that if she is in a relationship with my nerdy/geeky old DM then she has a passive interest in computers/books/Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff. 

Since right now we are at only 4 players for a Sunday night game. We have a Hunter so far and if the new female player ends up picking a ranged class to play this would probably put a strain on me and the remaining player for melee combat.

I am just guessing at that though... I've talked to the other player and between him and me we will have a Defender & Leader. I need to think what we should play for those 2 roles that will most assuredly melee oriented.

I've passed the information onto the DM from what you guys have recommended so far and you guys have been very helpful, THANK YOU.

The DM likes the ideas and has also mentioned that having a Hexblade or Thief type, would give us some much needed stuff in skills like Thievery, Bluff, Streetwise, Diplomacy and Stealth. The campaign he said is based in a moderate sized village and is intrigue/problem deducing. He likened it to a DnD version of Clue and he has played the thing as a player before in another group.

Thinking on what he said and if the new player goes ranged, I've got no idea on what to play for our Defender and Leader roles.
The campaign he said is based in a moderate sized village and is intrigue/problem deducing. He likened it to a DnD version of Clue and he has played the thing as a player before in another group.

Thinking on what he said and if the new player goes ranged, I've got no idea on what to play for our Defender and Leader roles.

I think one of the things I'd check out is whether or not the Hunter can be persuaded to pick up Monastic Disciple for Thievery. That would let her play an Elementalist without needing to worry about Thievery.

Which would then give you the following stat-sets:
Dex/Wis for Hunter
Con/Cha for Elementalist

I'd look at some sort of Int-based Leader and Str-based Defender regardless of the final choice. Flameswitch ought to be crazy good in this game - you get a bonus to skill checks once per encounter = Wisdom, you grant people with basic attacks bonuses to hit/damage with your at-will, covers Int, provides some blocking with your Spirit. Defender could be any of a number of choices, though Set Hammers to Stun could work out well.

Just would be careful about the Defender choice overwhelming the non-super-opp'd Elementalist and Hunter once you get to early Paragon.
The group I'm playing with tonight has a very new player running an elementalist. I think the biggest challenge has been with escalation adding a square to area/close powers. Once you can overcome that hurdle, it's a solid choice.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">
The group I'm playing with tonight has a very new player running an elementalist. I think the biggest challenge has been with escalation adding a square to area/close powers. Once you can overcome that hurdle, it's a solid choice.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px" />erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; letter-spacing:normal; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px">Why is that a hurdle, just curious? Just in understanding that's what the power does?
Personally, I love playing my Elementalist, personally, being able to minion blast is always fun with ignition, and it's zone is fun field contolling if the DM doesn't want to lose minons to them running into it. However, it gets rather boring fast just having the two attack powers and your encounter only buffs them for a turn at level 1 (and 2, but then you have a situationally useful utility). However, at level 2, it was fun when I missed a minion and it charged me, and then died to my (I believe) dragonflame mantle interupt and thus ended the encounter.
And my bluff, diplomacy, and Intimidate are all high which can make NPC interactions fun, especially when my tongue has been burned by demonic flames so I couldn't talk for a day, but could still intimidate the npc to give me more loot.
Escalation should probably be used for adding an extra target to Elemental Bolt, as it's easier to stack up statics on Bolt.

Our Fire Elementalist, at level 11, is doing 1d12 + 1d6 +30 on Elemental Bolt vs 1d10 (or 1d4 on Blazing Starfall) + 23.  So unless there are 3+ creatures in a burst 1 (+1 square added on from Escalation), it's better to Escalate Elemental Bolt and hit 2 targets for more damage.

Bargle wrote:

Zelink wrote:
Yes, understanding/remembering what powers do on the fly is difficult when you aren't spending a decent amount of time looking at them; part of the reason why I always prefer new players to sit down with the book builder, and make their first character themself (beyond me helping them decide race/class)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Well as far as an update goes on the new player... She didn't like the idea of the Thief class, but I asked the DM to see if she would like the Elementalist.

She hasn't played any RPGs before and isn't really into SciFi/Fantasy other than some movies. She is currently trying out Guild Wars 2 and seems to kind of like that. I asked if she likes to read and found out she LOVES (her boyfriends exact words) the 50 Shades of Grey series....
So I guess she is kinda into role-play lol.

Still working on finding a 5th player and might have an answer on one tonight.

I'm afraid that she won't continue to play after the rest of us getting all excited to be playing again. If that happens (I hope not), what 2 classes would be a must have for a party of 3 with one of them being a Hunter?
Yikes.  Without even knowing the other two classes, I'd say make the hunter switch...
A melee warlord and another melee striker with an MBA (e.g. ranger or barbarian).
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I'd likely go for a Thaneborn Str/Cha Barbarian|Cleric who takes extra healing powers with utilities - gives you solid striker/leader and then a Darth Vader type.

That should nicely compensate for the Hunter. 
whatever sounds fun to that player