CandySet - Featuring other baked goods and confectioners' treats.

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Introducing CandySet. In a world composed entirely of edible deliciousness, peace and happiness reign supreme. Until one day, when something that I haven't figured out happens. Stay tuned for more.

Mechanics so Far

Sweet: If a spell or effect would target a single creature, it's controller may have it target this creature as well.

Um, unsure about the Flavour there - but I really like it about 1X1,000 times more than Hexproof. Primarily for Red, Green, and White.

Sour: Whenever you cast a spell that doesn't share a colour with this permanent, EFFECT

Flavour explanation: Meant to represent the twist that putting lemon or lime or whatever does to any non-sour foods. Intended for Blue, Black, and Red. Though neither this nor that are limited to those colours.

Regenerate will hold a large roll in the set. Primarily G, W, and Blue(?) - mostly because of the Alara-style colourization.

Return of Devour, in all colours but especially Jund.

And, what does the Esper wedge get?

Spice: You may reveal this card whenever an opponent casts a spell that shares a colour with it. If you do EFFECT

Also, there will probably be a few new creature types/classes. Not sure what those'll be yet. Here is your preview card:

Puff of Nutmeg
Sorcery (C)
Target player discards a card.
Spice: You may reveal this card whenever an opponent casts a spell that shares a colour with it. If you do, that player discards a card.

"How much is too much?"

Comments and stuff? Feel free. Thanks, kids.
White

Commons 2

Gummy Hatchling
Creature - Beast (C)
Whenever a spell targets another creature you control, Gummy Hatchling gets +0/+1 until end of turn.

"Your tongue isn't the only thing that'll stick to it."

1/1

Wall Sucrum
Creature - Wall (C)
Defender
Sweet - If a spell or effect would target a single creature, its controller may copy that spell targeting this creature.

"A stomach ache will be the least of your troubles."
- Lord Praline

1/5

Blue

Commons 4

Dyer
Creature - Human Wizard (C)
: Each mana symbol in each card in your hand becomes the colour of your choice.

"The tongue may be stronger than the brain."

1/1

Bureaucracy Drops
Enchantment (C)
Sour: Whenever you cast a spell that doesn't share a colour with this permanent, Bureaucracy Drops becomes copy of another target enchantment until end of turn.

Creatures you control have -1/+1.

Tartarian Espionage
Instant (C)
Counter target spell.
Spice: You may reveal this card whenever an opponent casts a spell that shares a colour with it. If you do, that player reveals his or her hand.

"The Tartars will not stand for this!"
- Kreim, the Tartar

Citrus Sky-Skinner
Creature - Drake (C)
Sour: Whenever you cast a spell that doesn't share a colour with this permanent, Citrus Sky-Skinner gains flying until end of turn.

"There's only one way to get this fellow into the air. . ."
- Captain Zestikon, Drake Trainer

3/3

Black

Commons 3

Chocolate Superior
Instant
Destroy target creature with no abilities.

"It's all in the Flavour."

Puff of Nutmeg
Sorcery (C)
Target player discards a card.
Spice: You may reveal this card whenever an opponent casts a spell that shares a colour with it. If you do, that player discards a card.

"How much is too much?"

Return of the Fudgemites 
Sorcery (C)
Put three 0/1 black Serf tokens onto the battlefield.

"Fudge, fudge, fudge,
Marching through the sludge,
Fighting off our enemies,
With a gentle Nudge."     
- Fudgemite Marching Anthem 

Red

Uncommons 1

Capsikite 
Creature - Dragon (U)
Devour 1
When Capsikite enters the battlefield it deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of creatures Devoured by Capsikite.

"It burns!"

2/2

Rares 1

Peppermint Devil
Creature - Devil (M)
You may only spend to cast Peppermint Devil.

"The last sight you see before your demise can be quite poetic. For some it is your best friend's face. For others the maw of an enormous Caramel Bear. For Pelk, it was just a swirl, of Red and of White. . ."

4/4

Green

Commons 3

Minty Combination
Instant
Target creature with no abilities gains +2/+2, trample, haste, and indestructible.

Honeygluck 
Creature - Fungus (C)
When Honeygluck leaves the battlefield, you may pay , if you do, put a 1/1 green Plant token onto the battlefield.

"Fertility is not possible without death."

1/1

Vanilla Huntress
Creature - Dryad Shaman (C)
: Put a creature card with no abilities into play from your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

"Tracking them is easy - if you have a nose. Bringing them down is the difficult part."

1/1

Uncommons 1

Sugar-Coating
Enchantment (U)
You may cast only one spell on each of your turns.
Creature cards in your hand cost .

"The most bitter inside is always covered by a glistening crystalline fortress of sweetness."

Multiple Colours

Commons 13

Vanilla Bear-Cat ()
Creature - Bear Cat (C)

"When mighty strength meets obnoxious narcissism - there can only be one outcome. . ."

2/2

Tarragon
Instant (C)
Return target creature or land to its owner's hand.
Spice: You may reveal this card whenever an opponent casts a spell that shares a colour with it. If you do, add () to your mana pool.

"Indeed, that is rich."

Vanilla Hound-Fish
Creature - Hound Fish (C)

"A dish that needs no seasoning."

3/2

Sculler of Praline ()()
Creature - Keokite Minion (C)
Sweet - If a spell or effect would target a single creature, its controller may copy that spell targeting this creature.

"Any sweeter and the sculler would have to change his title to sweller."
- Lord Praline

2/2

Vanilla Human-Crab
Creature - Human Crab (C)

"A whole new meaning to the word 'Hermit'."

2/5

Praline's Decree
Sorcery (C)
Target creature gets +3/+3 and trample until end of turn.
If Praline's Decree would be copied, copy it twice instead.

"Let us deliver unto them such a rush of sugar and spice as they have never felt before!"
- Lord Praline

Vanilla Elf-Ogre
Creature - Elf Ogre (C)

"The Vanilla Valley may smell sweet, but be wary of it's flavour. It is not always pleasant."

5/5

Vanilla Boar-Oni
Creature - Boar Oni (C)

"Once, there was a purpose to her sadism. Now, it has become pure instinct."

7/4

Vanilla Lizard-Leviathan
Creature - Lizard Leviathan (C)

"Yes, it smells sweet, but you don't want that venom in your eyes. I tend to use it as an aftershave. Just be sure to pack some goggles." - Uihn, Rivertreader

8/9

Vanilla Whale-Zombie
Creature - Whale Zombie (C)

"Seasoned sailors know that there is more to fear from whales than from sharks."

7/11

Vanilla Goat-Rat
Creature - Goat Rat (C)

"Known for clearing out entire lumber yards in a mere hour or so, the Goat-Rat is nothing to be triffled with."

5/15

Vanilla Plant-Horror
Creature - Plant Horror (C)

"If you are a fly you fear the venus fly-eating plant. If you are anything else, you fear this."

13/10

Vanilla Wurm-Giant

Creature - Giant Wurm

"Cannibalistic from birth, many a Vanilla Wurm has feasted its first meal upon the innards of one of its gummy cousins."
-Guide to the Sugar Stones and the Surrounding Terrain

12/12

Uncommons 1

Gummy Grown
Creature - Beast (U)
Whenever a spell targets another creature you control, that spells controller may have Gummy Grown gain First Strike, Vigilance, Lifelink, Haste, or Defender until end of turn.

"This one may be too easily tamed."
- Ugobro, Sugar-Coater

4/4

Rares 3

Kreim, the Tartar
Legendary Creature - Resinate Wizard (R)
Whenever you reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand, you may sacrifice Kreim, the Tartar. If you do cast that spell without paying it's mana cost.

1/1

Lord Praline, Caramelizar
Legendary Creature - Koekite Wizard (R)
Whenever a spell targets a creature you control, Lord Praline, Caramelizar gets +1/+1 until end of turn and you gain 1 life.

2/2

Gummy Gargantamos
Creature - Beast (R)
Whenever a spell targets another creature you control, Gummy Gargantamos deals 10 damage to target creature.

10/10

Mythic 1

Rown Tartwhiskers
Legendary Creature - Cat Elemental (M)
If you would sacrifice Rown Tartwhiskers, put a -1/-1 counter on it instead.

"Break off a piece. . ."

4/4

Colorless

Uncommons 1

Extraction Broiler
Artifact (U)
Creature cards with no abilities cost less to cast.

This one is reserved for something, possibly cawds. Also possibly, pictures of kittens eating candy. Feel free to submit some?
Kidney stone...?
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Thanks for your feedback. I like your name as well, though I imagine it to be difficult to type while falling.

Here are some other cards - maybe I'll get some feedback this time?

Return of the Fudgemites 
Sorcery (C)
Put three 0/1 black Serf tokens onto the battlefield.

"Fudge, fudge, fudge,
Marching through the sludge,
Fighting off our enemies,
With a gentle Nudge."     
- Fudgemite Marching Anthem 

Honeygluck 
Creature - Fungus (C)
When Honeygluck leaves the battlefield, you may pay , if you do, put a 1/1 green Plant token onto the battlefield.

"Fertility is not possible without death."

1/1

Capsikite 
Creature - Dragon (U)
Devour 1
When Capsikite enters the battlefield it deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of creatures Devoured by Capsikite.

"It burns!"

2/2
Previous reply was not very useful....  It was late and I was posting on my phone because I couldn't sleep.

Sweet:  I don't think this does anything.  Adding additional targets to a spell doesn't actually change how the spell acts.  As an example, what would happen if you made Soul's Fire have an additional target?  (I know Sweet can't do that right now, but bear with me).  It has an additional target now, but nowhere in the spell's effects does it say what to do with the third target.  It's not used to determine damage.  Nothing instructs you to deal damage to it.  The exact same thing would happen if you cast Lightning Bolt at a creature.  The bolt would target the Sweet creature, but nothing in the modified spell tells the bolt what to do with the new target.  The next best thing would be to simply copy the spell up to once for each Sweet creature on the battlefield, but that would definitely get abused with Cantrip effects, and really doesn't feel Common.  Not that new keywords always need to show up at Common, but it's a good guideline.

Sour:  Simple, but I don't really get the flavor of it, no pun intended.  Maybe some example cards would help.  Is it basically like Quirion Dryad?  I don't think it pushes in the right direction.  It's obviously intended for a set with lots of multicolor support, but unlike Quirion Dryad it doesn't like multicolor spells.  If you play a Sour blue creature in a Blue/Black deck, you want to run lots of black spells, but avoid anything that's both blue and black.  Maybe it's fine, it's just the sort of mechanic that you won't really want to build a deck around because it doesn't work as well in large concentrations.

And Capsikite is just good tasty fun.  
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Previous reply was not very useful....  It was late and I was posting on my phone because I couldn't sleep.

It's cool. At least you said something. Thank you.

Sweet:  I don't think this does anything.  Adding additional targets to a spell doesn't actually change how the spell acts.  As an example, what would happen if you made Soul's Fire have an additional target?  (I know Sweet can't do that right now, but bear with me).  It has an additional target now, but nowhere in the spell's effects does it say what to do with the third target.  It's not used to determine damage.  Nothing instructs you to deal damage to it.  The exact same thing would happen if you cast Lightning Bolt at a creature.  The bolt would target the Sweet creature, but nothing in the modified spell tells the bolt what to do with the new target.  The next best thing would be to simply copy the spell up to once for each Sweet creature on the battlefield, but that would definitely get abused with Cantrip effects, and really doesn't feel Common.  Not that new keywords always need to show up at Common, but it's a good guideline.

Right - thanks. As you divined, this was obviously my intention. Changing wording to "If a spell or effect would target a single creature, it's controller may copy that spell targeting this creature."

And you're right, this is crazy with cantrips. I love pulling off, a Balduvian Rage on some Golems. Who knew they could be so angry and knowledgeable?

Sour:  Simple, but I don't really get the flavor of it, no pun intended.  Maybe some example cards would help.  Is it basically like Quirion Dryad?  I don't think it pushes in the right direction.  It's obviously intended for a set with lots of multicolor support, but unlike Quirion Dryad it doesn't like multicolor spells.  If you play a Sour blue creature in a Blue/Black deck, you want to run lots of black spells, but avoid anything that's both blue and black.  Maybe it's fine, it's just the sort of mechanic that you won't really want to build a deck around because it doesn't work as well in large concentrations.

I'll try to make some cards tonight to demonstrate flavour. That being said, flavour may be off. But, my intention was this: If you may tea, it tastes like tea - but if you add lemon, it changes the flavour. So this is kinda the reverse, but it is meant to imply the combination or clash of two or more flavours. Hopefully I am skilled enough to display this. We'll see, I guess.

Thanks again for feedback. The others must be too shy? Either that or my cards/mechanics aren't bad/good enough. . . See if I can do something about that.

Sour Cards and Cards to use with Peppermint Devil.

Bureaucracy Drops
Enchantment (C)
Sour: Whenever you cast a spell that doesn't share a colour with this permanent, Bureaucracy Drops becomes copy of another target enchantment until end of turn.

Creatures you control have -1/+1.

Hmmm. . . Not the intended flavour. Enchantments may not be my strong point.

Citrus Sky-Skinner
Creature - Drake (C)
Sour: Whenever you cast a spell that doesn't share a colour with this permanent, Citrus Sky-Skinner gains flying until end of turn.

"There's only one way to get this fellow into the air. . ."
- Captain Zestikon, Drake Trainer

3/3

Better?

Okay, some combos with that other thing:

Sugar-Coating
Enchantment (U)
You may cast only one spell on each of your turns.
Creature cards in your hand cost .

"The most bitter inside is always covered by a glistening crystalline fortress of sweetness."

Dyer
Creature - Human Wizard (C)
: Each mana symbol in each card in your hand becomes the colour of your choice.

"The tongue may be stronger than the brain."

1/1

Not sure Dyer is worded properly. Thought about making each mana symbol any mana symbol, but wanted to avoid things like (p). Thoughts on that?

As always, thanks kids.
Hmm!

Interesting design space, I like where the color-modifying stuff is going.

Although technically it won't work as intended, due to the inner workings of spellcasting.  The first thing you do when you cast a spell is take it out of your hand and put it on the stack, and it's on the stack where you decide what it's final cost is and how you wish to pay for it.  So in order to modify the color of mana you can spend on a spell, it would need to also apply to the stack, not just your hand.

PS. Is Dyer supposed to have an "until end of turn"?  Also, does it affect colorless mana symbols too, or only colored ones?
Whoops. Yes end of turn, and it does effect colourless mana symbols. So, this doesn't work:

"Each mana symbol in each card in your hand becomes the colour of your choice until end of turn."

That way your Goblin now costs , and it has that cost, not only until you cast it, but until the end of your turn. Am I mistaken?

Anyway, a couple more cards, maybe three-card cycle:

Gummy Hatchling
Creature - Beast (C)
Whenever a spell targets another creature you control, Gummy Hatchling gets +0/+1 until end of turn.

"Your tongue isn't the only thing that'll stick to it."

1/1

Gummy Grown
Creature - Beast (U)
Whenever a spell targets another creature you control, that spells controller may have Gummy Grown gain First Strike, Vigilance, Lifelink, Haste, or Defender until end of turn.

"This one may be too easily tamed."
- Ugobro, Sugar-Coater

4/4

Gummy Gargantamos
Creature - Beast (R)
Whenever a spell targets another creature you control, Gummy Gargantamos deals 10 damage to target creature.

10/10

Maybe it's fine, it's just the sort of mechanic that you won't really want to build a deck around because it doesn't work as well in large concentrations.

No it's not. I can't express enough how much I hate nonartifact metalcraft cards. Maybe it's just me. But for me it's not fine : P lol

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Maybe it's fine, it's just the sort of mechanic that you won't really want to build a deck around because it doesn't work as well in large concentrations.

No it's not. I can't express enough how much I hate nonartifact metalcraft cards. Maybe it's just me. But for me it's not fine : P lol

Really? If you kept it to only artifacts it would be terrible design-wise and boring.
lets just say i don't like metalcraft in general. 
metalcraft on artifact can't be too strong. and metalcraft on colored card can't go crazy. just disappointing all-round.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Oh, huh. Okay. More cards now:

Wall Sucrum
Creature - Wall (C)
Defender

"A stomach ache will be the least of your troubles."
- Lord Praline

1/5

Rown Tartwhiskers
Legendary Creature - Cat Elemental (M)
If you would sacrifice Rown Tartwhiskers, put a -1/-1 counter on it instead.

"Break off a piece. . ."

4/4
Lord Praline is an awesome name.  Tell me he's got his own Legendary card, please?
Lord Praline, Caramelizar
Legendary Creature - Koekite Wizard (R)
Whenever a spell targets a creature you control, Lord Praline, Caramelizar gets +1/+1 until end of turn and you gain 1 life.

2/2

Koekites are a race of people composed primarily of flour, sugar, and butter. Their defining feature is their rounded or lump-like appearence. Some break from the mold, but most fit it rather nicely. Koekites may also contain milk, nuts, and sometimes dried fruit.

Praline's Decree
Sorcery (C)
Target creature gets +3/+3 and trample until end of turn.
If Praline's Decree would be copied, copy it twice instead.

"Let us deliver unto them such a rush of sugar and spice as they have never felt before!"
- Lord Praline

Sculler of Praline ()()
Creature - Keokite Minion (C)

"Any sweeter and the sculler would have to change his title to sweller."
- Lord Praline

2/2

There you go!
This is pretty wonderful for a new designer's set. I always did want to make a candy themed set, or at least have some candy creatures.
Thanks Bunny girl. I'm trying to make it as serious as possible. Candy is hardly a serious medium, but Lorwyn had its share of sillyness, too, I guess.

Enough Sugar for now - how about some Spice:

Tartarian Espionage
Instant (C)
Counter target spell.
Spice: You may reveal this card whenever an opponent casts a spell that shares a colour with it. If you do, that player reveals his or her hand.

"The Tartars will not stand for this!"
- Kreim, the Tartar

Tarragon
Instant (C)
Return target creature or land to its owner's hand.
Spice: You may reveal this card whenever an opponent casts a spell that shares a colour with it. If you do, add () to your mana pool.

"Indeed, that is rich."

Kreim, the Tartar
Legendary Creature - Resinate Wizard (R)
Whenever you reveal an instant or sorcery from your hand, you may sacrifice Kreim, the Tartar. If you do cast that spell without paying it's mana cost.

1/1

Resinates are a new race for the WUB tribe. Originally a people of nature, Resinates have left their roots (Score!) far behind. Now their society is perhaps the most advanced in the Candy world. They consider themselves to be great philosophers above all else, but with a hefty superiority complex and a pension for greed, this may be up for debate.
I DID IT FIRST
I DID IT FIRST

Oh, no! I'm sorry to step on your toes. I'd love to see your version, and I hope that you take no offense.

Here are some vanilla creatures, this will be a cycle. there will be ten vanillas in all, and each of them will be high on the curve and then there will be some powerful vanilla-enablers.

Vanilla Elf-Ogre
Creature - Elf Ogre (C)

"The Vanilla Valley may smell sweet, but be wary of it's flavour. It is not always pleasant."

5/5

Vanilla Hound-Fish
Creature - Hound Fish (C)

"A dish that needs no seasoning."

3/2

Vanilla Bear-Cat ()
Creature - Bear Cat (C)

"When mighty strength meets obnoxious narcissism - there can only be one outcome. . ."

2/2

Yeah, I know. Common, too - right? Anyway. I am sleepy now. Tell me what you think, and I will read any and all comments in the AM.
Icecream Sandwich
Creature - Wall
Defender
Melting (When ~ dies, reveal the top card of your library until you reveal a white creature with converted mana cost four or less. Put that creature onto the battlefield and the rest of the cards at a random order on the bottom of your library.)
0/5

donno why i m going crazy. instead of just sweet and sour, wouldn't it be funner if you use less "abstract" characteristics?

Melting = soulshift + cascade for same-colored creature.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
M's Chocolate Candy
Creature - Chocolate Druid
Crunchy outside (If ~ would be dealt damage the first time each turn, prevent that damage.)
3/1

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Coated Almond
Creature - Nut Shaman
Crunchy inside (~ can't be destroyed by lethal damage unless lethal damage dealt by a single source is marked on it.)
Say yes to functional reprint.
4/4

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Isn't a 2/2 with no drawback for one hybrid a bit strong? I mean, there is Diregraf Ghoul, but you could make it or , but not .
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

I like the crunchy inside/outside, but not the current sweet/sour/spice. Here are my hopefully-flavorful flavor suggestions:
Sweet: Prevent all damage dealt to/by it
Salty: Has no other abilities as long as it is salty
Bitter: Must block all creatures it is able to, can block multiple creatures
Sour: Double all damage dealt to/by it
Umami: +1/+1 while in combat, -1/-1 while not in combat
Spice = can only enchant a permanent w/ "edible" subtype
You like?

Question: How do you make hybrid mana symbols?

Isn't a 2/2 with no drawback for one hybrid a bit strong? I mean, there is Diregraf Ghoul, but you could make it or , but not .

Considering Dryad Militant, maybe not. Vanilla creatures are a great idea--they have always been under-powered before.

: ccm : where c = one of 5 color abbrev - w u b r g

: + wbm + : = :wbm:

You can also find them in "Insert Icon" page 4 i think

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

I like the crunchy inside/outside, but not the current sweet/sour/spice. Here are my hopefully-flavorful flavor suggestions:
You like?

I use the [ mc ][ /mc ] tags. Remove the spaces. Putting wubrg in between the tags gives you . t and q give you and . Single-digit colorless just requires the number.

Hybrid is (c/d) where c and d are the colors

Monocolor hybrid is (2/c) where c is the color

Phyrexian is (c/p) where c is the color. You can also put p by itself just to get p, for Rage Extractor-type cards.

You can get double-digit colorless with (10), (11), (12), (13), (14), (15), and (16). I don't think it goes any higher than Draco.

To get X, you have to not use the mana cost tags, though. Just use xm between colons. ym and zm give you Y and Z.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.

You like?

M. Not going to start over. Suggestions on improving already concieved mechanics acceptable, but not these. Some of these are okay - but most of them are a little bit boring.

As for the 2/2 for 1 - I have my own resignations about it, but I can't think of anything better.

Vanilla Boar-Oni
Creature - Boar Oni (C)

"Once, there was a purpose to her sadism. Now, it has become pure instinct."

7/4

Vanilla Human-Crab
Creature - Human Crab (C)

"A whole new meaning to the word 'Hermit'."

2/5

I wanted to make Vanilla Boar-Oni a whale, but Black and Red don't get enough of those for it to make sense.
Maybe a :gwm: 5/5? compare with leatherback baloth which has a slightly easier(?) casting cost.
Maybe a :gwm: 5/5? compare with leatherback baloth which has a slightly easier(?) casting cost.

Woolly Thoctar

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

I should warn you, c(c/d)d defeats the point of hybrid.
139359831 wrote:
Um, okay, well, I'm going to leave it for now. I will let the pot simmer and perhaps come up with something. Continuing the Vanilla Ten:

Vanilla Wurm-Giant

Creature - Giant Wurm

"Cannibalistic from birth, many a Vanilla Wurm has feasted its first meal upon the innards of one of its gummy cousins."
-Guide to the Sugar Stones and the Surrounding Terrain

12/12

Vanilla Whale-Zombie
Creature - Whale Zombie (C)

"Seasoned sailors know that there is more to fear from whales than from sharks."

7/11

Vanilla Lizard-Leviathan
Creature - Lizard Leviathan (C)

"Yes, it smells sweet, but you don't want that venom in your eyes. I tend to use it as an aftershave. Just be sure to pack some goggles." - Uihn, Rivertreader

8/9
Last two:

Vanilla Goat-Rat
Creature - Goat Rat (C)

"Known for clearing out entire lumber yards in a mere hour or so, the Goat-Rat is nothing to be triffled with."

5/15

Vanilla Plant-Horror
Creature - Plant Horror (C)

"If you are a fly you fear the venus fly-eating plant. If you are anything else, you fear this."

13/10
generally if you put something over CMC 7 in common you are increasing the chance of generating crap packs... and you have so many!!

Even the famous battlecruise magic set - RoE - got only 2 cards over 7.
(one with an alternate casting cost!)

this is potentially disastrous as a set design.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
That's a good point, but the cycle is ten cards in all ten two color combinations w/ten different mana costs, all in vanilla. I don't think anyone would be too upset to pull an unplayable Vanilla Goat-Rat. And if that person really felt that way, then I would rather he or she didn't play Magic anyway. Now noticing that that card wouldn't be totally horrible in Doran EDH. A conditional vanilla 15/15 for 8? Not too bad.

But, yes, I see what you mean. Maybe if I include something like this:

Vanilla Huntress
Creature - Dryad Shaman (C)
: Put a creature card with no abilities into play from your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

"Tracking them is easy - if you have a nose. Bringing them down is the difficult part."

1/1

Extraction Broiler
Artifact (U)
Creature cards with no abilities cost less to cast.

I'll maybe add a few more Vanilla type cards to this. God, I wish I could just say "Put a vanilla creature into play". . .
More vanilla interaction:

Chocolate Superior
Instant
Destroy target creature with no abilities.

"It's all in the Flavour."

Minty Combination
Instant
Target creature with no abilities gains +2/+2, trample, haste, and indestructible.

Starlight Mint Brigade
Creature - Human Soldier
First strike
When Starlight Mint Brigade enters the battlefield, you may search your library for up to three cards named Starlight Mint Brigade, reveal them, put them onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Most underestimate the squads ability to stick together.
1/1   
Now noticing that that card wouldn't be totally horrible in Doran EDH. A conditional vanilla 15/15 for 8? Not too bad.

For 8 mana, most cards can conditionally win the game. coalition victory, biorhythm, insurrection.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sign In to post comments