If you only had $40 to spend on MTG online...

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
What would you buy?
Momir avatar + basics. Spend the rest on Fire & Lightning + Graveborn playsets.
Probably wouldn't buy anything because I don't enjoy constructed and am only mediocre at limited.

Momir avatar is a good call. If you're a good player (i.e. mistake free) it's possible to do well fairly consistantly. It can be a frustrating format, though.
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
Just be a degenerate and do release events while they are up, good EV.
You're saying I should drop down $40 on a single card, this Momir Avatar (which I've never heard of, btw)...

The card will become illegal in standard in several months, and then what will I do with it?

How can just adding this one card to my terrible deck yield any success?

Confused, as always..

The avatar isn't standard legal, it has it's own entire format built around it where you're allowed the Momir Vig Avatar and nothing but basic lands.

I've played it, it's pretty fun. 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Buy a Pauper deck, go infinite with it.
If I only had $40 to spend on Magic Online, then I'd probably just go and buy Skyrim or something.

MTGO is a huge money-sink, to those on a limited budget I would say "stay away".
As others have said, from my 5 or so years experience, Momir Vig avatar has been my most used and most fun spend, and easily the best $10-12 I've spent on MTGO.

I wish there were as many Momir Vig daily events as there used to be, but even at the current rate, I've won more than I've put in to these events. Sure they are the most random, but they are also very fun.

Check out a basic primer here: puremtgo.com/articles/momir-basic-primer

After that, I would either save the rest of the money to use for events (Momir, and then drafts, assuming you start winning some packs to draft with), or buy a pauper (commons) deck if you fancy constructed.

If you can start winning any prizes in these cheap formats, they can quickly help you build more decks or play more, without putting in much more money.

Just my thoughts.

If you can start winning any prizes in these cheap formats, they can quickly help you build more decks or play more, without putting in much more money.

Just my thoughts.

Which are the cheap formats online, and where?  What prizes can you win?   This sounds like my best route for success.
Momir and Pauper are the "cheap" formats.
They both pay out core set (currently M13) boosters.
Daily events (in the Scheduled events room) tend to offer a fair play experience, and decent prizes if you win at least 3 of the 4 rounds.

This post might help. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
The starting cost is about the right level, and it is a good guide on how to go infinite from a small initail investment.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

MTGO is only expensive if you plan to play the most popular formats (standard, modern, etc) using the most popular decks or if you play limited (and aren't better than about 75% of all players).

There are plenty of cheap/free ways to play magic online:

You can buy a competitive classic pauper deck for about 10-20 dollars and play in the online sanctioned daily events or 2-men queues or in the player run events (which are free and yet have prizes!). There's lots of information about classic pauper here:
pauperscage.blogspot.ca/2012/07/new-to-p...

You can also buy a competitive standard pauper deck for about 2-4tix  and play in the free player run events or just in the casual play rooms.

There are actually quite a few unofficial alternative budget formats. You build decks for Silver Black (commons and uncommons) and Heirloom (only cheap cards, no matter the rarity) and play in player run events or join a clan focused on these like Pauper Gnomes or Pauper Krew to find other people playing casually.

More information about alternative formats here:
pauperscage.blogspot.ca/2012/06/alternat...

And more information about those cool free player run events here:
pauperscage.blogspot.ca/2012/06/player-r...

You can also probably find cheap block decks. Return To Ravnica seems to be quite low value at the moment so check the dailies on the What's Happening Page for deck examples.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
Momir is really the only way to cheaply play MTGO.  Pauper is cheap if you only want one or two decks, but honestly that's going to get old fairly quickly, at least in my opinion.  If you're good, and don't mind endless grinding, you can possibly play and win enough at Pauper to buy more cards and expand your collection and formats.

Honestly though, the best advice is to just not play if your budget is 40 dollars.  Magic, both paper and online, is a very expensive hobby, contrary to what gabochidilo wants you to believe.
Dont play until leagues come back (never).  If your on a $40 budget and want a real feal for MTGO, play in a league.  Momir is a good idea and fun but its not real magic.
Honestly though, the best advice is to just not play if your budget is 40 dollars.  Magic, both paper and online, is a very expensive hobby, contrary to what gabochidilo wants you to believe.

I swear that its true!

Let me tell you my story. I started playing MTGO because, after my first child was born, I didn't have enough free time to go to store events. MTGO fit my schedule perfectly in that sense. My favourite format is limited so I started with an M11 Release event and went from there, playing one sanctioned event each week and usually playing a few casual matches every day. I would sell any valuable rares I would get and that would make playing limited considerably cheaper than it would have been in paper, while at the same time starting a small collection of the cheaper stuff.

I joined the Limited resources clan and would often find people who wanted to play matches with their draft decks against my draft decks, giving each draft I participated in immense replay value. I also built some simple casual decks with the cards I collected or with the planeswalker format and played for fun in the casual rooms. 

Eventually, I was able to build a decent and competitive block deck that didn't have a single expensive (over 1 tix) card in it and started playing a bit with that. Then I built one that had a couple of expensive mythics in it but I was lucky enough to have bought them when they were cheap and found them to grow in price. Then I realized it was possible to make a few safe investments at certain periods and gain a bit of value (I also discovered the art of arbitraging with the classified bots, which also gained me a few tix)

By being in the Limited Resources clan I also joined a Player Run League, which gave me many, many matches for the cost of only a few boosters. As time went by I noticed that I was putting less and less money into it even though I was losing just the same (my score has never gone above 1750, and its below 1700 right now). This was because I was gaining value from good trading and investments, while using those cards to play at the same time, this works really well for block constructed cards. 

At the end of the year I had spent 172 dollars and had participated in over 50 sanctioned events and had ammassed a nice collection of cards. None of them were really money cards, yet I had at least 3 block decks that were going 4-0 in the dailies and a number of casual decks. While I believe that 15 dollars a month is a very decent budget for a hobbie, I didn't stop there.

It was around after a year of playing that I discovered pauper. I started listening to the only podcast that existed (Pauper to the People) and started reading about it and was able to easily build 3 decks: white weenie, goblins and tempo blue. I'll admit the cards for all those decks were actually much cheaper back then (this was only one year ago) and I remember clearly that none of the cards cost me more than .25tix each, and most of them were just a few cents; I can't have spent much more than 10-15 tix on all 3. However, its still very possible to build various competitive classic pauper decks for under 20tx, which is well within your budget. And guess what, you can always sell the cards when you get tired of them and build another!

I found Pauper to be fascinating, so I slowly started buying different decks and trying them out in the tournament practice. This kept me well entertained for a long time. Then I decided to go full in and switched clans to Pauper Krew, the bigges pauper clan in MTGO. Once inside the clan a whole new level of events opened up to me. I discovered that there is a large number of people involved in playing in these alternative formats and that it was easy to find people to practice with and that there were multiple events every day and best of all they were free.

At this point I basically stopped spending money on any kind of wizards sanctioned constructed event and just focused on the Player Run Events. Since they were free, I was making money from investments (little by little) and losing nothing on entering and losing events. I discovered standard heirloom (standard format that in short, uses only cards that cost less than 1tx) which has a metagame that feels very much like a standard metagame (with different decks than the normal standard metagame of course) and its Modern and Legacy versions. I discovered SilverBlack (commons and uncommons) full of weird and wonderful decks. Since all these decks were very cheap (most cost around 5-10tx to build) I was able to build a lot of them and be playing in a very wide variety of formats.

My clan also held internal leagues, mostly for pauper formats like classic and standard pauper and I was able to join those aswell. Pretty soon I was part of more events than I could handle so I actually had to cut it down due to time, while not having spent a single penny more than the initial 172 dollars. Around about this time a desire to play some limited magic hit me se I took it on myself to organize a sealed deck league within my clan. It was mildly successfull (about 8 players joined) and lots of fun so I held another one and this one garnered a bit more attention and got 15 people to play. This sealed deck league had a twist: I generated the booster packs using an online site and then handed the lists to the players, and banned any cards beyond 1tx. This meant that people were spending on average about 0.5 tix per booster "opened". The leagues I held lasted 3 weeks and involved about 10 games per week and involved opening up 8 boosters by the end. 

Right now I play way more magic than I should for the sake of my marriage and work, in a variety of different formats and events, and have not spent a slingle penny on top of those 172 dollars from the first year and happen to own a large collection of non-expensive cards that I can use in competitive events.

---

So yes, if you are only open to playing Magic the way Wizards wants you to, it can definitely get expensive. But there are many ways to enjoy this game while getting the exact same level of fun as the "competitive formats" and its much, much easier if you join a clan that has discovered them. Shivdaddy says don't play until leagues come back and its true that leagues are awesome, but they are actually there, just not organized by Wizards. I say that if money is your limitation but you want to play magic, then make it work for you.

Here is a summary of the things I just mentioned in this wall of text:

classic pauper: 10-20tix for the cheaper decks
Modern SilverBlack: 5-20tx decks
Standard/Modern/Classic Heirloom:  5-20tx decks
Std Pauper: 1-3tx decks
Block Constructed 10-200tix per deck (A big variation, but its relatively easy to find cheap decks)

Casual decks: Free just from cards left over from limited events or included in the account.
Planeswalker format: Its like a boardgame version of magic (if magic was a non collectable card game). Included with the account.

Player Run Events: Free competitive events that give out prizes. Free... FREEE!!!

Leagues: Usually run within clans, just join a good clan to find all sorts of leagues.

Playing Limited: Just make sure to sell your expensive cards and you'll be able to reduce the cost of playing limited events considerably (though, unless you win a large percentage of the time, it will quickly go past 40 dollars!). You can extend the life of each limited event by joining a Limited focused clan and using the decks you built to play matches against the people in that clan.
With only 40 bucks I wouldn't even start. Either you will end up paying much more in little installments, or you will get frustrated by all the 'rich kids' who DO pay more than you.

And don't buy the "play cheap events" story: it takes a lot of playing (= money) to get to the point where you can resonably expect to win back what you paid to play (aka "go infinite") and even then you will probably only scrape by. It's hard to stay afloat.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
So here's a question. Does playing magic HAVE to be about playing mythics and sanctioned events? Can't a person enjoy magic just playing non-sanctioned (which doesn't mean non-competitive) formats?
So here's a question. Does playing magic HAVE to be about playing mythics and sanctioned events? Can't a person enjoy magic just playing non-sanctioned (which doesn't mean non-competitive) formats?

Im with you here, and for the record I generally love your long posts. They almost never fail to hit the nail on the head.

I came back in '07 after a long break and then left again due  to v3's pc requirements. In '09 when I came back I found all my cards were out of date for standard so I played mostly in (old) extended (which isn't too far from current modern) which at the time was not only a wide open meta but encouraged some very odd decks. Then I found Tribal Wars and was able to play some in that though not as competitively as I would have liked.

What got the ball rolling for me was writing monthly articles for Heath's site. (Some write weekly and really rake in the credits but my style requires a good deal of time to do properly and I can't do it every month even, much less once a week.) Having a steady way to bring in more cards into my account other than the PREs allowed me to slowly build the collection I wanted.

Nushae's point's relevant. If you want to participate in MTGO in a meaningful way you will need to invest either patience + time, or time + $ or all three. It isn't a good idea to just blindly charge in with your limited information and start buying stuff. You will need a lot of information before that's smart. In fact it won't be an easy thing to do even if you do get all the ducks in a row.

I recommend that new players with a limited budget not just give up if they really want to play but seriously consider where they can wisely spend their bucks. There used to be an article series on the mothership by Ben Bleiweiss (of SCG fame.) It was taken over by another and then eventually dropped but the archives can definitely give you some ideas about how to go about budgetting for a fun/competitive deck.

There are also some great authors on puremtgo which I heartily recommend for anyone looking for budget information. Research is key here. Don't give up just because the rich kids have you beat. (My decks tend to be richer now than they used to be but I still occasionally build cheapo decks for fun.)

Check out the various PREs and the associated sites for them. Talk to the players who run them and ask them for advice. Heck every time you lose to someone ask for their advice. They might not give it or might not have anything good to say but if you don't ask it becomes harder to find stuff out.

Keep an eye on the value of the cards you do own. If you can trade them for value do it. If they are undervalued hold on to them until they peek then see about trading them. There are lots of things that happen over time that can lead to a positive experience on mtgo if you are really interested in the game.

Winter.Wolf

Thanks Telir, I appreciate the support  Laughing.
I worked out my mtgo spend as about $6 per month over 3 years. I barely ever play sanctioned formats, just pauper (lots of pauper variants) and Momir. Recently wotc were giving away packs as incentives for closed beta, and those proceeds will keep me going for a long time (thanks by the way). I'm very happy with this situation, and having slowly picked up all the staples only really need to buy stuff from new sets. 40$ would get you one good classic pauper deck and several good standard pauper decks for several seasons.

This is entirely dependent on the individual in question.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
When I started I had a $10 coupon.  I spent it on the "Way Wild" theme deck.  3 years later I was finally able to buy cradz.  Did it suck getting the beatdown for so long?  Yes.  Did other people not want me to join the 2hg as their partner with my 40 card monogreen theme deck? Yes.  Did I have fun anyway? Yes.  Did I wish I had discovered the "free card bot" before I finally bought some tix and entered the classifieds after 3 years online?  You can bet your sweet potatoes on it.  May the spirit bless the heart that gave me those forests and krosan tuskers after finding out my collection consisted of 40 cards.

If you only want to spend $40 on MTGO you better do some research so you don't end up playing "free trial" more than the account you purchased.  IMO $40 is a good starting investment that will allow you to expand if you invested correctly.  They are constantly releasing new cards that are "better" or work "better" with existing ones to entice you to spend more on a regular basis.  I personally have only played the free casual ques but would suggest anyone wanting to "stay in the game" invest at least $100 per year on new toys.  Sure most people are going to tell you $40 isn't going to cut it and to go buy DotP but as gabochidillo has proven through experience it is possible to invest very little and still be competitive.  Instead of fixating on a certain amount perhaps you should think about spending X amount every Y months.  Skip a six pack or BurgerBell every now and again and put the money into the electronic account for a "digital object" infusion when the time is right.  That be my take on it.
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!

It does not.  In fact, I do not enjoy most constructed formats.  This includes the expensive ones down to the cheap ones (legacy all the way to block and pauper).  In fact, I think singleton is the best way to play Magic.  It allows for the most freedom in deckbuilding, as well as allowing the most cards to be playable, and individual strategies are much less likely to be ubiquitious.  That's why I love cube.  I also realize that these types of formats would lead to Wizards moving 4 times less product, and are thus not going to happen.

That being said, Wizards intentionally makes their coolest, most desirable cards at Mythic and rare.  The lands that allow you play your cards most efficiently are rares.  The great swingy creatures, and planeswalkers are Mythics and rares.  The most desirable cards for the biggest numbers are people are put at these slots for an obvious reason. 
What would you buy?

It sounds like you want advice on what you should buy. However there are many details we are missing to be able to validly help. Do you want to be running as close to paper as possible? What format do you want to play in? Is this a $40 a monthly, a yearly, a once in a lifetime, or something else? Do you want to be competitive? Is having "fun" more important than winning? Do you want to win a lot of prizes? Do you consider this a long term thing, or is a few month thing?

All those questions, and probably more, would need to be answered to give a real solid answer. All the responses in the thread can be right depending on the player. Some people think PREs and pauper are good for the competitiveness, others think otherwise. In short, we need more information.

If you are asking it in general, personally, and not for advice; I personally would buy the stuff for Momir, and a classic burn deck (unless leagues are considered in which case I'd play those).

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

Here's another tip. Be patient and Shop around. One example, Azorius Guildgate is 13 cents on mainstream bots right now. In a few weeks it'll be 4 cents at those same bots. Or, you can shop around and get it at 3.1 cents today, and that's just what I find from a bot I have buddied. There are bound to be more similar if you just trawl the trade room and be persistent.

What would you buy?

(unless leagues are considered in which case I'd play those).

Ninja strike bonus +1 

"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!

Some people can and some people can't.  Every day I run into people complaining about how much I must've spent on my Commander decks (even though I've spent very little - I don't own a single ME dual land and only the bare minimum of staples like artifact mana).  The thing is, there is no format you can play where you will not be faced with people who have spent more than you and have objectively stronger decks because of it.  If you can handle that, bully for you.  I think it's a rarer virtue than most people think though.  I'm certainly not capable of enjoying games where I'm outclassed moneywise.  When someone plays a JtMS or a Vampiric Tutor or a Pernicious Deed, I'm jealous and I don't enjoy the game as much.  I wish I had the money required for those cards, but I just can't swing it these days. 

On the whole, I agree with those who have said that if your budget is only $40, MtGO is not the way to go with it. 
The thing is, there is no format you can play where you will not be faced with people who have spent more than you and have objectively stronger decks because of it. 

Actually, that's exactly what the format Heirloom avoids. While it is definitely possible to spend less, there is a very clear upper limit on how much a deck can cost due to the secondary market cost of a card being the defining factor for what cards are allowed and which ones are not. Magic is a very deep game and it allows for user created formats like this. That's what makes it so attractive to me. 

8< 8< 8<
I'm certainly not capable of enjoying games where I'm outclassed moneywise.  When someone plays a JtMS or a Vampiric Tutor or a Pernicious Deed, I'm jealous and I don't enjoy the game as much.  I wish I had the money required for those cards, but I just can't swing it these days.

Tutor and deed maybe, but JtMS is a poor card in commander. All abilities are at sorcery speed, the first 3 abilities are a bit underpowered in the context of edh decks, and nobody is going to allow the 4th ability to happen, ever.

8< 8< 8<
I'm certainly not capable of enjoying games where I'm outclassed moneywise.  When someone plays a JtMS or a Vampiric Tutor or a Pernicious Deed, I'm jealous and I don't enjoy the game as much.  I wish I had the money required for those cards, but I just can't swing it these days.

Tutor and deed maybe, but JtMS is a poor card in commander. All abilities are at sorcery speed, the first 3 abilities are a bit underpowered in the context of edh decks, and nobody is going to allow the 4th ability to happen, ever.

Incremental advantage is what I find strongest in Commander.  JtMS isn't nearly as strong in Commander as he was in Standard (or is in whatever formats he's still legal in - I don't really follow anything but Commander and Limited these days), that's true.  However, the way I build decks, Jace's +0 effect is remarkably strong.  If only I could actually afford one.  I'd definitely much rather have Jace than Vamp or Deed.  Neither Deed nor Vamp provides incremental advantage.  If I build a deck that uses more one-shot effects it tends to wind up being incredibly degenerate and people start blocking me (my Epic Experiment deck was a lot like that - a week after building it, I don't even want to play it).

8< 8< 8<

Incremental advantage is what I find strongest in Commander.  JtMS isn't nearly as strong in Commander as he was in Standard (or is in whatever formats he's still legal in - I don't really follow anything but Commander and Limited these days), that's true.  However, the way I build decks, Jace's +0 effect is remarkably strong.  If only I could actually afford one.  I'd definitely much rather have Jace than Vamp or Deed.  Neither Deed nor Vamp provides incremental advantage.  If I build a deck that uses more one-shot effects it tends to wind up being incredibly degenerate and people start blocking me (my Epic Experiment deck was a lot like that - a week after building it, I don't even want to play it).

Agree, JTMS is actually better in Commander than Pernicious Deed (by a fair amount even), and probably on par with Vampiric Tutor. I mean, tutoring to replace your draw with something broken is really not that big a deal when every card in your deck is broken. Still great, obviously, but JTMS is exactly the kind of thing you tutor for anyway.
What would you buy?

Don't believe anyone has mentioned the Planeswalker format, which can provide a huge amount of gameplay and fun for well under $40, especially for newer players.  In this format you can buy packs of hundreds of special non-tradeable cards to build from, and there are always lots of opponents available.

www.mtgoacademy.com/in-the-beginning-all... 
What would you buy?

Don't believe anyone has mentioned the Planeswalker format, which can provide a huge amount of gameplay and fun for well under $40, especially for newer players.  In this format you can buy packs of hundreds of special non-tradeable cards to build from, and there are always lots of opponents available.

www.mtgoacademy.com/in-the-beginning-all... 

The sad, sad, truth is that even that format is not used as intended anymore; even the PW format has become pay-to-win. After all, you can 'beat the system' by buying more than one of these planeswalker sets so you have 4 of everything.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Plain and simple, this is a game where you get as much out of it as you put into it.  You can fixate over dollars, or time, or any other part of the puzzle that you want.  The key is this:

Are you having fun?

The alternate question is, are you having fun relative to your investment of time and money?

For me, I really do look at MTGO from the same lines as an MMO.  I normally spend anywhere from $15 to $50 a month on the game, but often go months at a time not playing or spending money on the game at all.

Most of the advice you're going to get on this thread is really good advice; play Momir, join a clan, try Pauper, play in release events.  I'll add to buy 10 tickets from the store and buy as many 10-20 rares for a ticket as you can get and indulge your inner Timmy with some fun decks in the casual room.  Right now, I'm really enjoying milling folks with Walls and stealing wins with Azor's Elocutors.

I have fun doing that.  And when I'm not having fun, I don't play.  Simple as that.  After a while, I wander back, pick up some more stuff cheap and have some more fun.  Wash, rinse, repeat. Laughing

Anyway, one of the best parts about MTGO is that you always keep what you have.  When you get bored, frustrated, or whatever -- you can just walk away.  And when that itch comes back ... and it will ... you don't have to start over from scratch, you have everything you had before right where you left it.  For me, that's a big bonus -- because my paper collection is scattered all over heck and half of creation, and for the life of me I can't find some cards I know I have!

Regardless, slow down, have fun.  That's the important part -- have fun.  Let me know if I can help.

Later,

Don! 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
Plain and simple, this is a game where you get as much out of it as you put into it.  You can fixate over dollars, or time, or any other part of the puzzle that you want.  The key is this:

Are you having fun?

The alternate question is, are you having fun relative to your investment of time and money?

For me, I really do look at MTGO from the same lines as an MMO.  I normally spend anywhere from $15 to $50 a month on the game, but often go months at a time not playing or spending money on the game at all.

Most of the advice you're going to get on this thread is really good advice; play Momir, join a clan, try Pauper, play in release events.  I'll add to buy 10 tickets from the store and buy as many 10-20 rares for a ticket as you can get and indulge your inner Timmy with some fun decks in the casual room.  Right now, I'm really enjoying milling folks with Walls and stealing wins with Azor's Elocutors.

I have fun doing that.  And when I'm not having fun, I don't play.  Simple as that.  After a while, I wander back, pick up some more stuff cheap and have some more fun.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Anyway, one of the best parts about MTGO is that you always keep what you have.  When you get bored, frustrated, or whatever -- you can just walk away.  And when that itch comes back ... and it will ... you don't have to start over from scratch, you have everything you had before right where you left it.  For me, that's a big bonus -- because my paper collection is scattered all over heck and half of creation, and for the life of me I can't find some cards I know I have!

Regardless, slow down, have fun.  That's the important part -- have fun.  Let me know if I can help.

Later,

Don! 

Casting Worldspine Wurm off of defenders = fun too.

Winter.Wolf