Fey-touched and Half Fey

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone. I'm looking to make a Feytouched/Half-Fey character in 4e based on this 3.5 article.

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/200...

Can anyone give me some advice on making the character? I cannot find a 4e equivilent.
Elf? Eladrin? Hamadryad (Heroes of Feywild) are basically nymphs? Pixie? Throw in a controllery type character and you're golden.
In 4E feats and themes are your best bet for this. The Tuathan theme is a good start, but it's abilities are a little lack luster.

If you peel the fluff off the rules and then reply your own later, this is a good reason to multiclass Feybond warlock.

Can you tell us more about the character? What base rase do you want to use, what will your other class be? 
I don't really know what I want to do with it. I've never done 4.0 before and I've just started reading the player handbook.

I'm looking over some races. Eladrin sounds like it could work. I have no idea what other players are looking to play as. The few of us interested in playing are still setting up.

What I'm mostly interested in is the spells the half-fey gets. How would I do that?
I don't really know what I want to do with it. I've never done 4.0 before and I've just started reading the player handbook.

I'm looking over some races. Eladrin sounds like it could work. I have no idea what other players are looking to play as. The few of us interested in playing are still setting up.

What I'm mostly interested in is the spells the half-fey gets. How would I do that?

For the spells of a Half Fey, you are going to need to look at classes or themes, not races. Level adjustment races are things of the past, so there are no races that gain multiple spell like abilities for free while they level. There may be some racial powers that you can take instead of your class Utility powers as you level that do the same things.

Best bet, looking over the ridiculous list of powers that a Level 2 Half Fey gets, is that you will need to be a Wizard.

(For future reference, level adjusted characters in previous editions were usually pretty overpowered. For example, to gain all those abilities, that Half Fey would be a level 3 character at level 1. In order to balance those abilities, you would need to take levels in Half Fey in addition to your class levels. Taking two levels of Half Fey, instead of advancing your class, would get you all of those abilities.)

Let us know what class, and we'll see what we can do.

For example, looking at the level 1 stuff, I would probably suggest Drow as race, and take Darkfire, then refluff as it all as Faerie Fire as an Eladrin ability. Use Order Adept as a Theme, and Argent Rain should take the place of Glitterdust (not that I can remember what that spell does, but it sounds nifty). For the most part, Charm and Dominate abilities are rare in 4E, and of short duration. This is by design, as they are plot busting spells, able to derail all of a DMs planning with one failed save. Detect / Protect alignment spells are similarly limited for similar reasons.

The short answer is, basically, you don't.

First, you need to realize that nothing is ever going to translate directly from 3.5 to 4E, particularly when dealing with mechanical elements - you can usually get the same fluff, but it's not going to do things exactly the same way mechanically... (In many ways, 4E characters are less powerful than their 3.5 counterparts, but slightly more powerful in others.)

There are no racial character templates or racial classes as such in 4E. There are no level-adjusted races like in 3.5. All playable races are balanced against one another from level 1.
 Each 4E character race starts out with one racial power or racial feature (or several minor ones), and doesn't inherently gain any others as they level up - only classes give you additional powers by level. Several races, however, do have one or more racial utility powers that they can take instead of their class powers at different levels.
 You can also pick up additional powers from themes.

As for the half-fey powers, many of them have 4E versions, but are handled much differently - especially as far as mechanics and power level: hypnotism is a wizard at-will power, invisibility and sleep are wizard daily powers, eyebite is the at-will power for the fey pact warlock and faerie fire is the drow racial power. You won't be able to get all of them without building a drow hybrid wizard|(fey pact) warlock...

If you're mainly looking to create the race as a character, a PHB1 wizard, an Essentials enchanter mage or a fey pact warlock will give you similar flavor and relatively the same sort of powers. Many of the fey races (eladrin, drow, hamadryad and satyr, possibly the wilden as well) might serve as a base depending on what sort of general feel to the character and combat role you're aiming for.
If you want to play some other sort of class rather than using your class choice to model your race, then you're going to have to settle for a much more limited subset of those powers.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Funny thing is, eladrin, elves, and half-elves to not make optimal fey-pact warlocks.

Closest thing I know to Glitterdust is "All the Sands, All the Stars".

If you are new to 4th Ed, I will tell you right now that the Warlock is one of the hardest classes to play and gain maximum benefit from your powers. Logistically. However, if you are up for the challenge, I have greatly enjoyed my Fey-pact. He started as human, but died 2 weeks ago. His pact holder feld she hadn't received value for effort, and sent him back as a Revenant.
There are a wide variety of differing opinions on what powers/feats are good, and which suck. Try as best you can.

Remember, no matter what you play, you can change the name of the power and the flavor text fluff to your heart's content--just leave the mechanics alone.

Good luck
Funny thing is, eladrin, elves, and half-elves to not make optimal fey-pact warlocks.

Actually, ever since Essentials, Eladrin have become awesome Fey Pact Warlocks.
En even before essentials...with the class/race combo feats Eladrin make great Feylock.  Eldritch Blast dealing extra INT MOD damage, and Eldritch Strike having +1 to attack rolls when used with Longswords...wish btw, Eladrin get proficency as a race, giving you a Gish like option with it.

They are also fey origin, so if you want to get some arcane cantrip, you can get it with a single feat (non-fey need to get fey bond feat) 
Thanks for the info everyone.
Sign In to post comments