Building a char around damage from Daggers

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,

So I have been creating this char and having a lot of fun with him but I really dont feel that his base damage output is enough. I was hoping that there was some feat or something that changed the base damage of a dagger from 1d4 to 1d6 or something like that. I was wondering if there was such a thing that would increase one die size the damage I was outputting through my daggers

Any thoughts? 
Is the character a rogue?  If not, rewrite him as one, because no one else has any business with daggers.

If the character is a rogue, does he have the Daggermaster paragon path?  If not, he's either too low-leveled or he needs to change to it.

If the character is a rogue and he has the Daggermaster paragon path, check how often he gets combat advantage.  If you're playing a rogue and don't have CA with EVERY ATTACK, you're doing something wrong. 
Sorcerers/Elementalists also use daggers.

And yes I do miss my sorcerer/daggermaster.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
The Shocktrooper PP does this, as does Eternal Defender ED. But really, if you're playing with daggers, you should probably be a rogue daggermaster.
Increase die size is pretty meaningless too. Its an upgrade of ~1 DPR until epic, and marginal impact on epic, since the classes with many [W]'s of damage aren't the ones that are going to be using daggers...
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Increase die size is pretty meaningless too. Its an upgrade of ~1 DPR until epic, and marginal impact on epic, since the classes with many [W]'s of damage aren't the ones that are going to be using daggers...

But you can get 7[W] if you pick a bad daily for your capstone!

OP: You're better off (as with almost every weapon) getting off more attacks than trying to make your die size bigger. If you have to choose between two attacks at 1d4+11 or one attack at 1d6+11, which are you going to pick?
Is the character a rogue?  If not, rewrite him as one, because no one else has any business with daggers.

I do

If the character is a rogue, does he have the Daggermaster paragon path?  If not, he's either too low-leveled or he needs to change to it.

I do

If the character is a rogue and he has the Daggermaster paragon path, check how often he gets combat advantage.  If you're playing a rogue and don't have CA with EVERY ATTACK, you're doing something wrong. 

I do

My char is a rogue daggermaster, its where I went first

The Shocktrooper PP does this, as does Eternal Defender ED.

How do I get the Shocktrooper PP?

Here is a pic of some of my char sheet to answer any questions
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I can't read a thing off those sheets. 

As to how to get Shocktrooper, you'd need to be MC Fighter to qualify.  
For one thing, you should get a better weapon.  I'm not sure why you have a dagger made for wardens.  You also are severely under the magic item budget with only two +3 items.  Between this and swapping out some feats for ones that increase your damage (I'd probably start with skill training: arcana).
Why no magic armour? Also, no expertise feat - hitting more often will also help you feel like you're doing more.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Incidentally, since you had asked, don't bother with Shocktrooper.  Except in very specific builds Daggermaster is going to be better for you than Shock Trooper will.

Edit: Yeah, as RF mentioned above, one of your early feats needs to be Light Blade Expertise.  +1 to hit is very valuable.  +2 damage with Combat Advantage is awesome, especially for a rogue who's going out of his way to nab CA as often as possible for Sneak Attacks. 
Incidentally, since you had asked, don't bother with Shocktrooper.  Except in very specific builds Daggermaster is going to be better for you than Shock Trooper will.

Edit: Yeah, as RF mentioned above, one of your early feats needs to be Light Blade Expertise.  +1 to hit is very valuable.  +2 damage with Combat Advantage is awesome, especially for a rogue who's going out of his way to nab CA as often as possible for Sneak Attacks. 

I...would not go that far. Shocktrooper is not a bad PP, most of the features are useful. +1 DPR (2 in Epic) and +Dex to damage once/round is actually mathmatically competitive with Daggermaster throughout Paragon, and that triple-hitter daze makes up for a strong gap in the rogue power list since they sorely lack a credible multi-attack nova power (take Martial Mastery and Brutal Advantage immediately in epic, and your AP nova suddenly becomes a 6-8 attack sequence).

I would not hesitate to recommend Shocktrooper on a Str/Dex rogue, especially as Daggermaster is no longer the end-all-be-all PP since it took its last nerf.
That would be why I specified "better for you," given his lack of any real Strength.  ;p

Don't get me wrong, I do actually like the Shock Trooper quite a bit.  Particularly if your rogue is lacking in the defense, decent options there to keep you in the thick of things without doing your best rug impression.
Ok, never mind I found it, its called "Meditation of the Blade" and its a level 12 utility that comes with the Daggermaster path

Also... if by chance some strange happenings/magical spells in your campaign would happen to turn your halfling into a Bugbear... BLAM... Large daggers baby! (which turn to d8's when coupled with the Meditation of the Blade PP power from Daggermaster).
Ok, never mind I found it, its called "Meditation of the Blade" and its a level 12 utility that comes with the Daggermaster path

Awful, awful utility. I would gladly trade it for +5 damage per hit to EONT (though I'd probably want it to be either an encounter power or a free action). Really, damage die size is just utterly insignificant after, say, level 7 - especially since it's such a pain to increase it, and since increasing the die by one size only increases your average damage by 0.5.

Awful, awful utility. I would gladly trade it for +5 damage per hit to EONT (though I'd probably want it to be either an encounter power or a free action). Really, damage die size is just utterly insignificant after, say, level 7 - especially since it's such a pain to increase it, and since increasing the die by one size only increases your average damage by 0.5.

It increases your damage by +1 per [W]. Average for a d4 is 2.5, average for a d6 is 3.5. Plus some marginal increase on crits.
Sign In to post comments