Help with a dm-forcing-player scenario

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am a seventh level druid. A healer in my party. My DM is extremely into good stories and I love that about him, but he's done somethign to my character that im not sure how to deal with. 

At first I wanted to be a caster in the party, and after looking through possible feats, my DM allowed me to take the Feat "Ocular Spell" (the feat to store Ray-spells in one's eyes for 8 hours and cast them as free-actions), as long as I had a good story behind them. These spells were my bread and butter, as I coupled them with the Quicken Spells feat. He asked us to take two flaws for extra feats, and since my flaws had to do with melee attacking and AC I opted to utilize "Wild Shape" to become an Eagle and escape melee combat. 

So essentially, during the course of a single turn, I could utilize the feats "flyby attack" and "Natural Spell" and swoop down into casting range, fire my two free ray spells at different targets, cast my two quickened spells, then use my standard action to cast a spell all while moving from opponent to opponent and then out of harms way (provided i calculated my distance correctly and was not hit by an AoO). When my DM asked me to heal for th party, I was fine with adjusting from burst to heals, as long as i could keep my versitility. I took "scribe scroll" for the ability to cast any spell I have scribed. 

Tonight my DM ustilized story to blind me. He ripped my eyes out, which stopped me from using my ocular spell feat and my scribe scroll feat. I cannot fly in bird form because I cannot see, and therefore cannot decern where I am. I cant cast touch spells because I cant move to my alies to heal them, or my enemies to damage them since, barring listen checks per turn, i dont know where they are.  

TL;DR
I need help figuring out what to do with a now- blind caster who cannot melee to attack and is still the groups only healer.  Are there any feats I can take to continue performing my roll? Am i screwed? Honestly at a loss here. 
Just quit the game. I know that sounds like a cut-the-knot style solution, but if I was in your position, I would be out of there. Unless you can extract some kind of promise from him that your eyes will be restored shortly. Sometimes, its a cool and useful literary device to place a formerly powerful character in a state of weakness, but in the case of a player something like that should never be permanent. Honestly, your response will partially depend on how much you trust the DM. I personally, unless I really, really trusted the DM, would pull that session over in a heartbeat and with much cursing, ask the conniving DM to explain himself, right the hell now. Arbitrarily taking away player abilities is just plain not cool.

Edit: Upon thinking about this further, I would say combo natural spell with a form that gets some form of blindsight, and note that there is no rules that prevent writing when you are blind. Realistically your character would still know the trace of the letter. You could still wildshape as a bat and unless that ocular spell feat has a specific pre-req of being able to see, it should still function. If you were going to go about circumventing the blindness, I would do that. But again, I don't think the blind druid is the real problem here, but the DM.

That sounds like a DM who wants you to leave the game. I'd oblige him. 

The way you counter things like this when they come up is to say "I'm not really into the idea of my character's eyes being ripped out. It really lessens the fun I have with the game." If your DM says something to the effect of "too bad" you leave. If they say something like "Oh I was building to a sweet story thing at the begining of next session it will be good. bear with me." You can decide whether or not you believe the DM on that one. If so, go along with it. If not, ask that they bail on this story element. 

If you are concerned about still playing, use the retraining rules in PHB2 to swap your feats around.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

Another recommendation for 'hit the road'.  This DM is a jerk.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Sounds pretty lame to me.  I'd talk to the DM and find out WTF is going on.  Under no circumstances would I play a blind heal bot for a party.  Either he fixes your character, lets you roll a new one or you bail.

Frankly, it sounds like he got frustrated with your tactics (I wouldnt much care for them myself), then used a cheap way for forcing you to stop, rather then saying "hey look, this whole swoop down and unload thing isn't getting it done for me...something needs to change."
With the caveat that I'm getting my information on Ocular Spell, Flyby Attack, and Quicken Spell from websites, and as such it may not be accurate ...

Ocular Spell lets you cast the two stored spells as a full-round action, and you don't get to cast the same spells all day; once they're cast, they're cast and gone until the next time you store them.  This makes them not viable with Flyby Attack (which lets you take a move or standard action in the middle of another action).

And, assuming Quicken Spell works with Ocular Spell (questionable, as you can only cast one Quickened spell a round and Ocular Spell fires two), the combined level boost for those two spells is plus 6, meaning a first level spell occupies a 7th level spell slot and couldn't be used until 13th level.

So, if this information is accurate ... what you're attempting to do is neither legal, and even if it was, Using a 7th level spell slot for two 1st level spell isn't likely to be overpowered.
I would first ask the DM if he has a plan for ways your player can recapture his previous powers or have new and interesting ones that take his place.  If not, bolt.  If so, then maybe stick with it and say what kind of interesting story lines may develop.
If you're willing to stick with it to a point, there's a way around this...just pick up a spell in the later levels that would allow you to heal your eyes (or regrow them).
@Salla
My DM chose to deviate from the rules for his campain. I told him I wanted to play a blaster, so he made variations within the storyline (with use of the gods) to allow for me to be just as I described (essentially a specific spell could be fired from my eyes and it count as a free action, but any others would make it full-round); I also still only had 1 charge of each spell per 8 hours, so i could only pull the move I described above once every eight hours unless I had scribed a scroll for them to be stored.  Perhaps he realized his mistake in letting me play this way and saught to rectify it via story?

As for regrowing my eyes, my DM made it clear that if I do I lose Ocular Spell, and must re-do the ritual to regain the feat.  

In any case, my DM gives out XP at the end of every campain, so im screwed all next campain next week, and must wait an additional week to fix myself. Unless he does anything to help  me as part of the story.  

I will give next week a shot. The last thing my PC saw before her eyes were ripped out was her slaughtered family hanging above her by chains, dripping blood on her naked,completely paralyzed body. Then her master ripped her eyes from their sockets and insterted them into his own, bleeding sockets, grinning to the chorus of her screams. Im hoping he doesnt leave me in the dust here, its a very interesting campain, but being that im not melee, im not sure how a caster can cope blind. 
@Salla
My DM chose to deviate from the rules for his campain. I told him I wanted to play a blaster, so he made variations within the storyline (with use of the gods) to allow for me to be just as I described (essentially a specific spell could be fired from my eyes and it count as a free action, but any others would make it full-round); I also still only had 1 charge of each spell per 8 hours, so i could only pull the move I described above once every eight hours unless I had scribed a scroll for them to be stored.  Perhaps he realized his mistake in letting me play this way and saught to rectify it via story?

Perhaps, but if this is the case, he made a huge, colossal, bone-headed, moronic mistake.  He should have just approached you and said 'those houserules I made?  I screwed up.' and let you re-do your character without the offending parts.
I think Salla's right here.  If you approach the DM about ways to rectify it, you might get your eyes back and have a more balanced game.  It sounds like he was going for an in-game solution and oversold it a bit much.
Of course, now my brain is going 'who in their right mind would make house rules that make druids MORE powerful?!'
Of course, now my brain is going 'who in their right mind would make house rules that make druids MORE powerful?!'

*ding*  I'm having my first experiences with a druid in my group right now, and he's just jaw-dropping good.  And here I was worried that he wouldn't be as good as the wizard that he replaced.
Any more info available on HOW this happened? What lead up to the whole Naruto-esque eye-replacement surgery?

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

@Salla

As for regrowing my eyes, my DM made it clear that if I do I lose Ocular Spell, and must re-do the ritual to regain the feat.  

In any case, my DM gives out XP at the end of every campain, so im screwed all next campain next week, and must wait an additional week to fix myself. Unless he does anything to help  me as part of the story.  

I will give next week a shot. The last thing my PC saw before her eyes were ripped out was her slaughtered family hanging above her by chains, dripping blood on her naked,completely paralyzed body. Then her master ripped her eyes from their sockets and insterted them into his own, bleeding sockets, grinning to the chorus of her screams. Im hoping he doesnt leave me in the dust here, its a very interesting campain, but being that im not melee, im not sure how a caster can cope blind. 

Kinky.

I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist. Please don't report me. If people are too offended I will delete it.

Kinky.

I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist. Please don't report me. If people are too offended I will delete it.

Whatever floats your boat, Zaramon.  Everyone here is at least in roleplay, after all.
@ its a very interesting campain, but being that im not melee, im not sure how a caster can cope blind. 

You're just not being creative enough! 

THINK!

You're a shapeshifting - now blind - druid who likes to fly around casting spells.

So turn into a bat instead of an eagle.

sonar FTW !!
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I am a seventh level druid. A healer in my party. My DM is extremely into good stories and I love that about him, but he's done somethign to my character that im not sure how to deal with. 

At first I wanted to be a caster in the party, and after looking through possible feats, my DM allowed me to take the Feat "Ocular Spell" (the feat to store Ray-spells in one's eyes for 8 hours and cast them as free-actions), as long as I had a good story behind them. These spells were my bread and butter, as I coupled them with the Quicken Spells feat. He asked us to take two flaws for extra feats, and since my flaws had to do with melee attacking and AC I opted to utilize "Wild Shape" to become an Eagle and escape melee combat. 

So essentially, during the course of a single turn, I could utilize the feats "flyby attack" and "Natural Spell" and swoop down into casting range, fire my two free ray spells at different targets, cast my two quickened spells, then use my standard action to cast a spell all while moving from opponent to opponent and then out of harms way (provided i calculated my distance correctly and was not hit by an AoO). When my DM asked me to heal for th party, I was fine with adjusting from burst to heals, as long as i could keep my versitility. I took "scribe scroll" for the ability to cast any spell I have scribed. 

Tonight my DM ustilized story to blind me. He ripped my eyes out, which stopped me from using my ocular spell feat and my scribe scroll feat. I cannot fly in bird form because I cannot see, and therefore cannot decern where I am. I cant cast touch spells because I cant move to my alies to heal them, or my enemies to damage them since, barring listen checks per turn, i dont know where they are.  

TL;DR
I need help figuring out what to do with a now- blind caster who cannot melee to attack and is still the groups only healer.  Are there any feats I can take to continue performing my roll? Am i screwed? Honestly at a loss here. 

Did the DM rip your eyes out or some eye-ripping monster rip your eyes out? I'm not sure what you mean by he utilized story to blind you.

Try playing it out. Try turning into a bat. Take one of 1000 blind-fighting feats. Regenerate your eyes. Share spells with your familiar and have your familiar blast the enemies. Explain to your allies that you are blind. If they want healing, they must stay close. Create a spell that allows you to have blindsight. Turn into an ankheg with tremorsense. Craft an item like a hag's eye that lets you see through it... a necklace of eagle's eyes or something. Shoot blindly and hope you hit something. Deal with the diversity until you are healed, regenerated, what-have-you.

The only railroading I saw was when the DM asked you to heal the party. If you were planning on healing them anyway, no problem. If you would rather use your spells to destroy the enemy so the party takes no further damage or to boost the party with spells that help them prevent taking damage, that should be your prerogative.

A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

TL;DR

Did the DM rip your eyes out or some eye-ripping monster rip your eyes out? I'm not sure what you mean by he utilized story to blind you.

Try playing it out. Try turning into a bat. Take one of 1000 blind-fighting feats. Regenerate your eyes. Share spells with your familiar and have your familiar blast the enemies. Explain to your allies that you are blind. If they want healing, they must stay close. Create a spell that allows you to have blindsight. Turn into an ankheg with tremorsense. Craft an item like a hag's eye that lets you see through it... a necklace of eagle's eyes or something. Shoot blindly and hope you hit something. Deal with the diversity until you are healed, regenerated, what-have-you.

The only railroading I saw was when the DM asked you to heal the party. If you were planning on healing them anyway, no problem. If you would rather use your spells to destroy the enemy so the party takes no further damage or to boost the party with spells that help them prevent taking damage, that should be your prerogative.

I disagree wholeheartly on this.  The DM, for all intents and purposes, as taken away all the ability that the PC had by blinding the character and for what reason?  It does not sound like some story element was discussed with the player "Hey, I have a cool story idea but...it means you maybe nerfed for a few sessions because of it, play along and when the issues is resolved there will be a reward."  No this was straight up castration for the purpose of taking the players abilities away and is most likely completely uncalled for.  Sure, I do not agree with the rules changes that were made that gave this character the power they had in the first place but that does not justify the actions the DM has taken unless there is a part of the story that we are missing.  Something this drastic done to a PC should have been discussed with the player to see if they were alright with the change, even if done temporarily, for the shear fact that it has completely changed the play of the character who can no longer use any of their abilities as te character was designed to do.  The player does not need to play along with this and does not need to spend feats to REGAIN the power they once had.  The player needs to speak with the DM and come to an agreement that they are both happy with or quit the game or if you want to be passive agressive about it kill of the character and re-create the exact same character just with eyeballs this time.
"The great epochs of our life come when we gain the courage to rechristen our evil as what is best in us." - Friedrich Nietzsche
What happened to talking it over outside the game? Relax a little people.

OP: I'm sure that if you tell your DM you feel you've been treated unfairly, you guys can get a dialogue going. Generally works a lot better than passive-aggressively asking advice from people in an internet forum how you can make your character powerful with the handicap your DM gave you. For example, if you turn into a bat, what's to stop him from ripping your arms/wings off so you can't fly anymore either? Getting into an arms race with your DM is never a winning strategy.
Not sure what level your game is, but it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish this...

All  you have to do is cast (or have someone else cast) regeneration on you.
Problem solved. 

Meantime, wildshape into a bat, and fly around with blindsight.
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis

TL;DR

I disagree wholeheartly on this.  The DM, for all intents and purposes, as taken away all the ability that the PC had by blinding the character and for what reason?  It does not sound like some story element was discussed with the player "Hey, I have a cool story idea but...it means you maybe nerfed for a few sessions because of it, play along and when the issues is resolved there will be a reward."  No this was straight up castration for the purpose of taking the players abilities away and is most likely completely uncalled for.  Sure, I do not agree with the rules changes that were made that gave this character the power they had in the first place but that does not justify the actions the DM has taken unless there is a part of the story that we are missing.  Something this drastic done to a PC should have been discussed with the player to see if they were alright with the change, even if done temporarily, for the shear fact that it has completely changed the play of the character who can no longer use any of their abilities as te character was designed to do.  The player does not need to play along with this and does not need to spend feats to REGAIN the power they once had.  The player needs to speak with the DM and come to an agreement that they are both happy with or quit the game or if you want to be passive agressive about it kill of the character and re-create the exact same character just with eyeballs this time.

Is it my philosophy of "rub some dirt on it and drink a Pepsi" that you have issue with?

If you notice my post, I prefaced my response with a question. For all we know, he looked at a nymph and failed his save (or one of 10,000 other ways a character can be blinded). I don't think just because he has cool powers involving his eyes that he should be immune to blindness. Or a dark room. Or a sack on his head. Mud in his eyes. Or drowning in quicksand. Or magic dead areas. Or aeon-fluxian eyeball suckers. Any more than a character with fast movement should be immune to having his foot in a bear trap.

The complaint seems to be the type of complaint that might happen if a character spends 10 feats on being an awesome spiked chain slinger and then encounters a blackguard whose modus operandi is to sunder weapons.

Option 1: Woe is me. The DM is forcing me to take my football dice and go home.

Option 2: I wrap the ends of the broken chain around my fists and proceed to pummel the blackguard in the face. I will take the cost of my broken weapon out of his hide and then ride his fiendish horse to hell so I can get a new chain from the chain devil lord. Hopefully that one won't break.

Can you offer an alternative (other than taking his football dice and going home)? I do agree he should speak with the DM. Maybe the DM will give him the explanation he seems to need. Or tell him to rub some dirt on it and drink a pepsi.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Not sure what level your game is, but it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish this...

Problem solved. 

The DM is already imposing a house-rule that inflicted a permanent, disabling injury on a PC.  I have no doubt he'd be lame enough to invoke a similar house-rule that Regeneration doesn't work.
Getting into an arms race with your DM is never a winning strategy.

I just want to second this. I hate this. I hate this so damned much, because then you aren't playing the game anymore, and there are few role-playing experiences that are worse than sitting down to play D&D, and waking up to the horror of not actually playing D&D, but involving yourself in one giant rules contest. Screw. That. Noise.

Problem solved. 

The DM is already imposing a house-rule that inflicted a permanent, disabling injury on a PC.  I have no doubt he'd be lame enough to invoke a similar house-rule that Regeneration doesn't work.

Using a house rule to create a permanent form of injury can be ok (hear me out).
I  mean, having your eyes removed is a pretty permanent state of blindness (they don't just 'regrow', and no form of dispel magic or break enchantment can fix that).
But something as simple as Regeneration does work, at least by RAW. 

For a personal real life example:
A few years ago i was dming a game where there was a one way portal. One player (a 2wf rogue) put his hand through, and pulled his arm back only to find his hand was no longer attached. I had ruled that the portal was one-way, so his hand couldn't come back after it had been put through.
I also decided that the portal sorta cauterized his stump, so he wouldn't have to worry about HP's or bleeding damage or anything.

There was a bit of silence, and the player said "well now what". I said, "either find someone who can cast regeneration and get it back or get a hook and become a pirate".
Off they went to find a druid high enough level to cast Regen (the pc's were level 7 or 8 or something), and it became a mini story arc all on it's own (during which, the rogue had a hook for a hand).
We're still friends, and he still fondly talks about those sessions from time to time...

Having said all that, I fully agree that if the DM is going to go so far as disallow Regen as an option, then it becomes pretty obvious what his long term intent it. And if such is the case (and honestly i expect that it is) then i also agree that it's probably best that they have a good conversation and possibly part ways.
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
I think hand and eyes are a bit different.  A character can still be completely functional without a hand.  Yes, yes, I read the 2wf part, but you can add a offhand type weapon attachment, a hook like you said, etc.  A perma blind spellcaster though?  Can't target anything?  Seems a bit crippling, pun intended.

I think the key statement the OP made was:

This to me seems like a pretty clear nerf at her (making an assumption based on the name here, apologies if mistaken) ability.  Now to be honest, given the way she explained using it I'd get pretty sick of the tactics as a DM too, and would talk to her and say, ok...this doesn't work for me.  We need to do something about this, then I'd use a high level enemy NPC to dispell the magic or something in a fight.

But to gut her by ripping her eyes out?  She lost her overpowered attack.../and everything else she could do except heal/.  Unreasonable.  Pure and simple.  That's just downright bad DMing imo.  You don't do that to your players.  All of those saying suck it up and drive on or making analogies to taking your dice and going home are just wrong.  The game is supposed to be fun.  While /you/ may find playing through being crippled to be enjoyable, she clearly doesn't seem interested in that...which makes her experience /not fun/.  Why play if it isn't fun?

The answer is you don't.  Either the DM fixes your character to something reasonable, lets you reroll, or you bail.  Pure and simple.  Let the DM enjoy not having a healer in his party because he had to be a d-bag to the one who was willing to take it for the team.
As others previously mentioned, t would be my guess that this is a symptom of the dm houseruling things and not perceiving how a creative player character could utilize his own houserules against him.  Certain dms can get their feathers ruffled if the pc is better at using the houserules than the dm.

I personally have an inward sigh when dm's have there own houserules.  Minor tweeks to help smooth game play is no big deal, but anything they can classify as a list is often a recipe for future trouble.

As others previously mentioned, t would be my guess that this is a symptom of the dm houseruling things and not perceiving how a creative player character could utilize his own houserules against him.  Certain dms can get their feathers ruffled if the pc is better at using the houserules than the dm.

I personally have an inward sigh when dm's have there own houserules.  Minor tweeks to help smooth game play is no big deal, but anything they can classify as a list is often a recipe for future trouble.

Especially when it's so easily fixed by saying 'Yeah, that was a bad idea, we're not doing that anymore.  Sub out that (game element) real quick if you want.'
Originally, I posted here for help with options for a blind caster, but the argument has escalated to so much more, im thinking further clarification is in order. XD

The campaign is centered around a force or entity called  the nothing (because nobody knows what it is), that is killing everything, even the Gods which get near it.  The Gods, because of this, find themselves unsure what to do, since they haven't ever been unable to see patches of the world or know what is killing them. It is the PC's duty to uncover what it is that is threatening the Gods and the world and save everyone before it's too late.

Our DM wanted to make each session centered around an individual PC, with the intent that, at the end of the session, they aquire some extrordinary skill or ability that would aid them in destroying this "nothing". Our fighter recieved special swords ingrained into his very bones (DM created of course), Our wizard became Chosen of Mystra, granting her special abilities.  

During our last session, we were traveling through some plaguelands (encountering blighter druids, undead, ect) and made camp for the night. My character awoke in a dream where she followed her family (who she cared for deeply) to the edge of a brook, wherin she met her mentor. After speaking for some time, her mentor cast his hand upon her and she blacked out. She awoke, naked, laying on a stone slab completely paralyzed in body but could still speak. Her slaughtered family hanging above her by chains, dripping blood down onto her.  Her mentor said he wanted her eyes, and would take them. He sent three minions to intercept her companions, who listened to the echoing of her screams as her eyes were forcefully removed with tools.  Her companions arrived in time to see her mentor pop the eyes into his own sockets, casting her stored spells happily and haphazardly.

Continuing to scream, "something" writhed from under the stone altar, like millions of squirming black worms, they burrowed into her eyes. Somehow she found her paralysis broken, turned her head, and her sightless eyes turned her mentor to stone. He then crumbled to dust.

** The DM ended the campain shortly after, saying to me "You are now permanently blind. Find a way to deal with it. You now have a gaze attack and the ability to store any single spell into one or both your eyes for eight hours. You cannot regrow your eyes, rather I would like you to find a way around your disability."

So there IS a pro to this. He gave me extra abilities as per the storyline. I was at a loss as to for what to do about my blindness being a caster, as ive never even considered rolling a blind character.  Im looking for people's creative opinons or ideas. Or even feats. Im really liking the blind-sense ability, even though its more for melee. I also just recently came across the 'Keen-Eared Scout' feat that may even solve my problems. 

As for becoming a bat, Yes i could. However, if you can think of everyone on the world as being more closely attuned to light or dark (good or evil, ect) I am the kind of person who likes lighter good things. The idea of being an eagle (which was my preffered wild shape) is much nicer than being a Bat simply for vanity purposes. That being said, if I have no other choice i will become a bat for the sake of my group.  The problem with that, though, is that im still 7th level. At 8th lv i can become a Dire bat (large animal), but im pretty sure i cant transform into a diminutive animal like a regular bat at all, unless im mistaken. 

In fact, I cant do ANYTHING until I level. That include's re-doing my feats as per PHII (thank you for suggesting that btw). I am still stuck as the party's healer, but as someone said before, that may not be problematic if they move to me. I talked to my DM, and hopefully he will help me out storywise next session (or at the very least, let me level at the beginning of the session, rather than the end).

The hardest thing for me to deal with right now, is what my characters motivation is now that her family is gone. She was fighting this "nothing" for them. Her family was her whole world, and now she has nothing. 

And finally (realllllyyyy long post replying to everyone) I am a girl.
if you think bats are evil, just be an Albino bat.  Problem solved
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

lol no i dont think they're evil. Simply the leathery wings vs feathery wings aspect. I am a fan of feathery wings which, like i said, is pure vanity.
Thank you for the additional information...this does changes things as we can now see that the DM has given you some other powers as a result of losing your sight.

Now, I dont rememeber the rules exactly for 3.5 but in 4E being blind does not prevent you from targeting creatures, you just may get a penalty to the attack depending on the type of attack you are making (area attacks do not receive the penelty but melee or ranged attacks do).  If the creature stealths this may make it hard to target as you do no know the square, but without stealth you can still pinpoint their location (square).

I think the DM should have spoken with you before making such a fundamental change to your character concept but it sounds like the DM did put some thought into this and may not have been doing it as a way to punish or nerf your character.  Though you mentioned it was your mentor that did this to you?  Not a very nice mentor to slaughter your family and rip your eyes out, may want to find another.

Hearing this new info, I think it best that you make it to your level up and retrain some feats so you are effective with your blindness.  The other thing you might consider, regarding the good/evil dichotomy and your preference for eagles (representing good)...maybe the slaughter of your family and the trauma of their bodies hanging above you and dripping blood might push you towards the other end of the spectrum and so taking on the form of a bat may actually be appropriate for the story.

Let us know how it turns out.
"The great epochs of our life come when we gain the courage to rechristen our evil as what is best in us." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Thank you for the additional information...this does changes things as we can now see that the DM has given you some other powers as a result of losing your sight.

Now, I dont rememeber the rules exactly for 3.5 but in 4E being blind does not prevent you from targeting creatures, you just may get a penalty to the attack depending on the type of attack you are making (area attacks do not receive the penelty but melee or ranged attacks do).  If the creature stealths this may make it hard to target as you do no know the square, but without stealth you can still pinpoint their location (square).

I think the DM should have spoken with you before making such a fundamental change to your character concept but it sounds like the DM did put some thought into this and may not have been doing it as a way to punish or nerf your character.  Though you mentioned it was your mentor that did this to you?  Not a very nice mentor to slaughter your family and rip your eyes out, may want to find another.

Hearing this new info, I think it best that you make it to your level up and retrain some feats so you are effective with your blindness.  The other thing you might consider, regarding the good/evil dichotomy and your preference for eagles (representing good)...maybe the slaughter of your family and the trauma of their bodies hanging above you and dripping blood might push you towards the other end of the spectrum and so taking on the form of a bat may actually be appropriate for the story.

Let us know how it turns out.

The idea of my character becoming evil actually appealed to me, despite my tendancy to play 'good' characters.  It just make sense, what is there to live for anymore? I had a talk with my DM about it earlier this week over the phone. He says I cannot be evil, no evil characters allowed in the campaign. I suggested re-rolling my character, since she is so devistated. He says "I will not let you re-roll."

He says that this is my test, to deal with this. My OOC trial, as it were.

Using the 3.5e rules, the closest thing I have gotten to is Listen checks.  The feat 'Alertness' (+2 to listen) plus Skill focus Listen(+3) then Keen-Eared Scout (+5 to listen against invisible characters... which ALL are now) would give me +10 feat bonus to my Listen skill to pinpoint the exact location of someone. Problem is STILL the blindness. 50% miss chance. 

Lets say someone is hurt. Unless they call out to me I dont know it, even if I can hear battle I cant 'see' a wound. But lets say i DO know exactly where they are and that they ARE hurt. I must move in close to touch them with a Cure ____ wounds spell (since they're touch), but, as per the rules even if i know EXACTLY what square they're in its a 50% miss chance. 

Ugh i just feel so exhausted. Its taking me all week to come up with some way to make my character playable in these peramiters. The story really is very good, and i was truly enjoying the campain. Since my friends around the table got something special I was hoping I'd get something equally as nice, but the benifits of this deformity I do not think outweigh the drawbacks. 

Hang on, you said that the other players 'characters got cool powers too. Did they have to also go through being captured, tortured, maimed, and having their loved ones that were their motivation to adventure destroyed? Or is that just your character?

So, why did the DM say this was your test, anyway? Why do you need a test.

Something sounds off about this whole thing.

Well, you did say you enjoy the campaign. but no wonder you are finding this exhausting.
The fighter apparently underwent "20 years of torture in the span of a few seconds" But now has special blades imbedded within his bones which jettison (harmlessly) from his arms whenever he wishes.  These blades can lengthen (much like zabimmaru's blade from bleach) to become a reach weapon.  The only way to remove them is with a wish or miracle, and of they break, they regrow within the span of a day. 

The Wizard became chosen of Mystra after my PC talked with Mystra and asked her if she could aid us in this plight aganst the nothing. My PC asked her to set a guard over my family before we embarked (which obviously failed).

As for why its a test, well, ive only been playing D&D about two years now. There are always things I dont know. Im thinking he is trying to help me learn? 
The idea of my character becoming evil actually appealed to me, despite my tendancy to play 'good' characters.  It just make sense, what is there to live for anymore? I had a talk with my DM about it earlier this week over the phone. He says I cannot be evil, no evil characters allowed in the campaign. I suggested re-rolling my character, since she is so devistated. He says "I will not let you re-roll."

He says that this is my test, to deal with this. My OOC trial, as it were.

Using the 3.5e rules, the closest thing I have gotten to is Listen checks.  The feat 'Alertness' (+2 to listen) plus Skill focus Listen(+3) then Keen-Eared Scout (+5 to listen against invisible characters... which ALL are now) would give me +10 feat bonus to my Listen skill to pinpoint the exact location of someone. Problem is STILL the blindness. 50% miss chance. 

Lets say someone is hurt. Unless they call out to me I dont know it, even if I can hear battle I cant 'see' a wound. But lets say i DO know exactly where they are and that they ARE hurt. I must move in close to touch them with a Cure ____ wounds spell (since they're touch), but, as per the rules even if i know EXACTLY what square they're in its a 50% miss chance. 

Ugh i just feel so exhausted. Its taking me all week to come up with some way to make my character playable in these peramiters. The story really is very good, and i was truly enjoying the campain. Since my friends around the table got something special I was hoping I'd get something equally as nice, but the benifits of this deformity I do not think outweigh the drawbacks. 

You dont necessarily need to go full evil, but maybe a transition to nuetral.  You have lost your reason to care, but does not mean that you want to inflict evil upon others and may even be willing to help those in need if properly motivated. 

Though, on the "you are not re-rolling" thing, this is bull.  If the DM does not want you to reroll your charcater he should not have put you in the situation that you are in, where you have to use your valuable feats to over come a limitation that he has arbitrarily placed on you.  It is the players choice whether they want to play their character any longer and if you are not enjoying your character then it is your right to create another - even if the DM would rather you stick with it.

It sounds like the DM is still picking on you knowing that the other players did not expereince any kind of negative effects for their powers, and in addition it sounds like their bonuses far outweigh yours.

As for feats - blindfighting or there may be some druid feats that allow a meta shift (getting abilities of creatures while not taking on the full form), I seem to remember some feats along this lines, look into it and maybe you can find away to get permanent blindsight or similiar senses.  The fact that you would have to use 2-3 feats to overcome this deficiency is obviously not fair and has ruined the fun you were having in the campaign - and maybe you should let the DM know this and see if you guys can work something a little fairer out that fits his vision and does take away from the fun you were having with your character.

I would also make the arguement that you can still target creatures (though still have the miss chance - reduced greatly with blind fighting), you have allies that can communicate their location to you and you only need to know the square they occupy.  The rules we play by is that unless they are using stealth you know their location (this is even true for invisible creatures) and can target them, the problem comes when they stealth.  This is standard for 4E but like I said I dont remember the 3.5 rules well enough to tell you if this may apply for that rule set - but it may still be a good point to bring up.

edit: Not sure if this is an option but there maybe a few magic items you can use to overcome your blindness (Robe of Eyes - though it is a pretty high level item - and there may be some others).
The DM also has forced the party to move along at a slower pace (so you can keep up...being blind halves your speed), thereby slowing the game down for himself, as well.  While your opponents have total concealment (50% miss chance), nothing states that your party members do, so I'd figure that you could target them with non-damaging spells.  You could specialise in area spells (since you know a general area, drop your AoE there);  you could also start dropping summons to deal with your opponents (since you can cast them spontaneously, you don't have to memorise them...which can help out if you did take an AoE)...at this level, you could get a small pack of dire wolves, a platoon of small elementals, or even a unicorn (which could help with healing duties).
Well... the DM said it was permanent. I figured it was just a temporary thing... what with magic and all. But it sounds like the DM is dead-set on poking your eyes out. Not sure why. Maybe you'll luck out and encounter a medusa army, lol. How would the character you originally envisioned deal with being permanently blinded?

If you try to heal another player character and miss because of the blindness, you may have another player clamoring for the DM to make it not so permanent.

Sucky as the loss of sight seems, if the campaign is enjoyable, I'd keep playing the character. My thinking is that if you liked the character in the first place, the difficulties that this presents are worth dealing with. It cold be worse... at least you didn't get polymorphed into a gnome. You're still playing the same character. But he's now blind. Would he suddenly become evil? I doubt that. Would he decide that his blindness is a hindrance? Possibly. Would he try to overcompensate and get himself killed, pretending not to be affected at all? Possibly. A point to ponder... if the character were to, say.. not see the 100 foot spiked pit, he might accidentallly fall in it and die. That would totally suck. You may have to roll up a new character after all - wwwink.

I'm torn because I've seen some players throw in the towel over the slightest things when I DM (although, I generally avoid arbitrarily doing anything). One in particular was all about hack and slash and didn't care about anything else. There came a point in the game where he was captured by pirates who sold him as a slave to fight in a gladiator arena. The guy who took him would have to set him free after 10 fights as is custom in the land they were in. He had 1 fight and wanted to roll a "new" character. Same skills, feats, class, race, equipment....

I disrupted the game for everyone else so we could figure out the character's background and what-not. 1 session in he randomly attacks the city guard captain, who made short work of the level 1 guy. Then he makes another character and decides he didn't like that I told him that the culture he chose requires for his given name to have meaning. It wasn't a particularly heroic-sounding nickname, granted - Wet Basket (chosen by his mother because it was raining when he was born and she was so poor they had no crib and so she put him in an empty basket). He played the character for a long while and the only time anyone called him "Wet-Basket", was just prior to the grand finale of the first half of a major campaign... he meets an NPC who was a childhood friend from his village who calls him by his childhood nickname. He decided he wanted to play another character. Then. There.

I then disrupted yet another game for him to roll up a pet rock named Boulder because the character he was playing couldn't speak Terran during a brief encounter with an earth elemental on the prime.

But I also had an evil viking-style ice shaman forced to give up his frost-giant war gods and start worshipping elves. And forced to become a vegetarian and serve only oats and hard tack on his own longships and join an assassins guild where my job for the guild was barber and personal groomsman for the guildmaster.

BACK TO MY POINT:
I'm torn. I'm reluctant to tell you to just give up without making an honest effort to try playing the dude blind for a while because this doesn't sound like a game-breaker. But this being permanent doesn't sound fair either. By calling it a 'test', it sounds like the DM is just making a challenge for the character as a ways to engage you the player. I spend more of my time on the DM side of the screen, so I'm probably biased anyway. But the fact that the DM meta-gamed your blindness - coupled with explicitly calling it permanent - seems heavy-handed. But it all comes down to this: Is the DM generally what you call a good DM? If so, suck it up. He's probably got something cool in mind. If not, remind him that the challenges you are overcoming are greater than the rest of the party so you should get.. say twice the XP since your chance to hit is halved. If suggesting that to the DM doesn't at least open dialogue, I don't know what to tell you except find a way to accidentally fall in that pit... IF you still want to play in his campaign.
yeah to me this sounds pretty heavy handed.  The DM here didn't ask your permission to do this to your character, the DM stated it was permanent, the DM won't let you make a new character, the DM won't let you change what he has done to you, the DM has made your "challenge" game altering vs everyone else is not so.

So at this point, talk to your DM and voice how you feel about his supposed "challenge".  If he's doing this from the point of view that he wants to engage you, well it sounds more like his idea is causing a disconnect.  This might not have been his goal and so you should tell him.  You should explain that one of the options would be for you to become a bat to get around blindness in animal form and resume playing as you did before just with the new powers.  If he says no to that, then point out to him that next level at 8 you will gain the ability to become a greater bat and that would get around the blindness as well, so why not just let it happen now and that you could roleplay that you gain familiarity with the transformation and at level 8 you "unlock" the more powerful version.  If he says no to that then just flat out ask him what his goal is with this heavy handed, unanounced killing of your character's family and stripping of your vision and where he's going with it.  You have a right to know where he's heading with it if he's completely un-helpful to you.  If he refuses even that then tell him you want to create a new character because the one you are playing is no longer fun to play.  If he says no that then leave the table and find another one with a DM who isn't insane.  The end.

The fighter apparently underwent "20 years of torture in the span of a few seconds" But now has special blades imbedded within his bones which jettison (harmlessly) from his arms whenever he wishes.  These blades can lengthen (much like zabimmaru's blade from bleach) to become a reach weapon.  The only way to remove them is with a wish or miracle, and of they break, they regrow within the span of a day. 

The Wizard became chosen of Mystra after my PC talked with Mystra and asked her if she could aid us in this plight aganst the nothing. My PC asked her to set a guard over my family before we embarked (which obviously failed).

As for why its a test, well, ive only been playing D&D about two years now. There are always things I dont know. Im thinking he is trying to help me learn? 

It really feels like the DM is doing this deliberately to attack your PC.  The Fighter's "20 years of torture in the span of a few seconds" doesn't seem to have done anything maiming to him, for instance, nor has he been forced to completely rewrite his character to be viable in even the most basic combats.  Instead, he's suddenly Kratos, from the sound of things.

The Wizard is the empowered chosen of a goddess...again, not seeing much trauma there.

You, on the other hand, have had your PC physically maimed (by someone they apparently trusted!), and have had to completely alter everything you might have planned to do with said PC, and appear to have possibly had to retool/retrain several of your current feats to compensate, as well.  It really feels like the DM decided to use this as either a really cruel way of redressing a problem with their houserules making you overpowered, or as a way to torment the most "newbie" of the group, given your mention of only playing D&D for two years.  This is NOT any sort of way for a good DM--meaning a DM who is a reasonable person, not necessarily a "good DM" in terms of skill--to treat a player.  There is no excuse for giving the other players such casual glossings over of whatever trials and tribulations their PCs suffered to get their incredible powers--over and done with, and onward with their new tricks--only to make your character suffer their crippling trials throughout the rest of the game.  It is also no way to help a player with less experience learn how to build a stronger PC or be better at understanding how the game works.  This just smacks of this person doing something douchebag to you and trying to justify it by saying "Everyone else went through something rough to get their powers, so now it's your turn!", and then cutting off any possible avenues of getting out of being forced to play an ineffective, mutilated character.

You really should confront the DM regarding this, and I would recommend asking if this was because of the overpowered houserules from before the removal of your PC's eyes.  If so, then the DM really went way out of bounds in handling it and you really should be getting more options to redress this issue that the DM is apparently refusing to give you.
Sign In to post comments