Throw as a minor action feat?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick Question, is there a feat that lets you say...throw a dagger from your belt as a minor action? seems like that might be something avalible...within the realm of realism to say that someone highly trained can quick draw a dagger from their belt and throw it within a half second or even quicker.

So any feat out there like that?
Unsheating weapons to your hand is a minor action...you don't need a feat for that as long as you have a free hand.

Master at Arms, wish also give you always good Attack Roll bonus with all weapon attacks, allow you to sheath a weapon and unsheath another one, in this case a dagger in case you don't a free hand...There is also Quick Draw, wish allow you to switch things up as free action or as part of the action you spend using them, like sheating your weapons and unsheating a dagger to your hand and using it as part of the same standard action to throw....

But no, you don't have feats that allow you to minor action attacks just like that...minor action attacks are kept usually to a minimum on the game, usually restricted to once per encounter or made part of a daily. 
Unsheating weapons to your hand is a minor action...you don't need a feat for that as long as you have a free hand.

Master at Arms, wish also give you always good Attack Roll bonus with all weapon attacks, allow you to sheath a weapon and unsheath another one, in this case a dagger in case you don't a free hand...There is also Quick Draw, wish allow you to switch things up as free action or as part of the action you spend using them, like sheating your weapons and unsheating a dagger to your hand and using it as part of the same standard action to throw....

But no, you don't have feats that allow you to minor action attacks just like that...minor action attacks are kept usually to a minimum on the game, usually restricted to once per encounter or made part of a daily. 

aw...alright...

Doesn't seem that letting you throw say a light thrown as a minor wouldnt be too bad. can't decide what i want for my bards third feat then...already grabbed weapon master and full blade profeciency...if we bring realism into play if i had say a shuriken on my belt and i was highly trained it wouldn't take me but a moment to throw it. but as i game mechanic i can see the limitation
minor action attacks are very strong on 4th Edition, even with such a small weapon as a dagger, because most of the damage came from damage rolls modifiers.  On this system, it's not common to attack more than once per turn (except for a few build/classes that do 2 attacks as the same standard action while dual wielding), It isn't like older edition where after several levels, because of bab scaling you get extra attacks.
minor action attacks are very strong on 4th Edition, even with such a small weapon as a dagger, because most of the damage came from damage rolls modifiers.  On this system, it's not common to attack more than once per turn (except for a few build/classes that do 2 attacks as the same standard action while dual wielding), It isn't like older edition where after several levels, because of bab scaling you get extra attacks.

Ya...its why i love my wizards fury...dual casting magic missle every turn

Grabbing shuriken training i suppose to fit with my character as he is a ninja/king/great general/any other thing he wants to lie about
Get yourself a Weapon of Speed.  It's Rare though, so it requires DM co-operation.  Or, assuming you're a Rogue, wait until you get some minor-action encounter powers, they'll come.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
can't decide what i want for my bards

Unfortunatly I don't think there's any Bard attack power using minor action.

There's also the Sohei Theme that has a minor attack power, Sohei Flurry.

Ya...it's why i love my wizard's fury...dual casting magic missile every turn

One of the guys built his Lair Assault character around precisely that spell (9 auto-damage twice is turn is pretty awesome; I'd be bored stiff after about three rounds but he enjoyed it so much that he wants to play the character in an actual campaign at some point). Since each adventure in LA is one encounter regardless of how much time lapses, he triggered that first turn and used it the whole adventure.

My skald did the same thing with her dailies so that most of the enemies were granting combat advantage the whole time and only two enemies in the basement could attack her. Normally I dislike dailies, but they're quite fun when you only do one encounter a day. 8o)

Unsurprisingly since it was our first time with this particular LA, we all died – but we'll win next week!... especially since I introduced the other players to the joys of Disciple of Death (+5 to death saves but requires 13 Wisdom) and Unfailing Vigor (revive on a death save of 18+ instead of just 20).

Semi-random aside: I vastly prefer HackMaster 5e's second-by-second combat to combat rounds so the number of attacks per round issue vanishes (as does "I'm going to get a drink so call me when it's my turn" syndrome; my favorite aspect). It has proven to be so much fun that my wife and I are trying to adapt it to GURPS, our group's go-to system.

If I could ever figure out how to do it with DDN then it might become the second class-based game to ever claim a spot on my list of favorite roleplaying systems (currently that list is: 1) GURPS 4e 2) HackMaster 5e 3) HackMaster 4e 4) OVA) simply because of how customizable the characters are (#2 reason why I like HackMaster; #1 is no GM-determined target numbers... the main reason OVA isn't higher on the list is because it does use GM-determined target numbers) and because it's mindlessly simple to convert it to using opposed rolls (simply subtract 10 from all defenses and DCs and add the result to a d20 roll; same is true of DD4 but I can't get any GMs to try it and I can't use it when running Encounters), something that has thus far proven impossible in GURPS (it should now come as no surprise that the system I'm designing uses my favorite bits of GURPS, both editions of HackMaster, a small splash of OVA, and even some ideas from D&D 4 and 5). If they'd also give me an option to use only player-determined target numbers then I'd be really ecstatic.

I just derailed my own derail. That's a good sign that I should be sleeping instead of trying to carry on intelligent conversation, so, fare thee well wherever you fare.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

Ya...it's why i love my wizard's fury...dual casting magic missile every turn

One of the guys built his Lair Assault character around precisely that spell (9 auto-damage twice is turn is pretty awesome;

No it's not, it's actually really terrible compared to the damage you get from Flaming Sphere and using Arc Lightning as your Standard Action with average optimization, or simply using Sleep only 3-4 enemies and letting an ally coup de grace. People who use Magic Missile to deal damage simply don't understand how damage works.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
mind-boggling to imagine a bard (singer, actor, poet, dilettante) with a comically large, giant sword strapped to his back.  I suppose MAYBE a skald might have that, but it still feels like the bard ideal is stretched awfully thin as of late.

anyways, minor actions are restricted strongly due to their crazy impact on the game (strikers with daily, minor action attack, action point -> encounter power just murder straight up standards before they act....kinda ceases to feel like a challenge anymore when 20-40% of the encounter can easily be eliminated before they get to do...ANYTHING).  As such, it is perfectly reasonable to think of a dextrous character whipping a dagger from his belt very quickly....but also consider that in the course of a round you are trading blows and parries and blocks much more than the single standard action you get in a round....those extra swings are just "part of the combat dance," and they're being blocked and parried by your opponent as often as you're blocking and parrying the opponent's attacks....think of your standard action as an opening to land a really BIG attack (even if its just an at-will).  For ranged characters, your time is probably taken up lining up a short range shot in the hectic confusion of melee combat.

LASTLY, you talk about reasoning that it would be easy for a nimble dextrous character to flick out a knife at someone from their belt accurately in melee combat.  Perhaps it would, but it would also reasonably be rather difficult to get the monstrously oversized sword back under control and moving again after you took your hand off it (or whatever standard action you were otherwise planning, whether lining up a ranged shot, second winding, or hacking with your weapon)   
The Sword of Songs (Favored weapon of Finder Wyvernspur, Demigod of bards) is a Bastard Sword. The Singing Sword is a Two-Handed Sword or Bastard Sword in D&D, but a Broadsword in medieval fiction.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments