DM problems

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey, so my DM has decided that he wants to remove all the rp from d&d and make it a hack and slash game. He also decided that we would have a 11 man party. I don’t want to leave because the only place I can play is at school and there’s only one dm at my school. Also a close friend of mine joined the group (number 11) and he thinks that the dm is right and that rp is useless. I don’t want to leave and hurt there feelings, but I want rp back.

Leaving shouldn't hurt their feelings.  That's not the kind of game you want to play in, so there's no reason you should stick around.  If they get offended because you have different interests, that's their hangup.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
thats all and good but theres no other DM to play with
It's better to not play D&D than play in a game you won't enjoy.  Spend the time you would be sitting frustrated in this game doing something you actually like to do.  Maybe bone up on the rules and become a DM yourself in time.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
It's better to not play D&D than play in a game you won't enjoy.  Spend the time you would be sitting frustrated in this game doing something you actually like to do.  Maybe bone up on the rules and become a DM yourself in time.

thx maybe i will do that i always wanted to try DM
You could also try to get into a game online, alot of people play D&D online thru Skype and Virtual Tabletop Softwares like Maptools.  It may not be the same, but it still alot of fun and a great option when there isn't anybody that play D&D in your town/city.
Sounds like they are just interested in wargaming. They would probably be happier with a D&D miniatures game.
Thisa is a great opportunity to learn to DM. You can see if any of those 11 players are interested in an RP focused game, and you can even run it on a different day. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

Do what I (and others) do when there's downtime:

1.  Conceptualise characters.
2.  Bone up on odd rules (trip, charge, etc).
3.  Figure out ways to enter PrCs with odd requirements (I can get a Fighter into Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil with only one level in a second base class and one PrC).
4.  Learn the rules better and start building a story to DM.
5.  Spend time on the forums and pick up ideas/help others.       

thx maybe i will do that i always wanted to try DM

Clearly it was meant to be  The hobby always needs more good DMs, and if the other game has 10 players, there's a good chance that a few of them would be up for joining a game with a smaller group.  If you decide to give it a try, you'll find plenty of veteran DMs over in the What's a DM to Do? forum that are willing to help with advice on getting started.

Hey, so my DM has decided that he wants to remove all the rp from d&d and make it a hack and slash game. He also decided that we would have a 11 man party. I don’t want to leave because the only place I can play is at school and there’s only one dm at my school. Also a close friend of mine joined the group (number 11) and he thinks that the dm is right and that rp is useless. I don’t want to leave and hurt there feelings, but I want rp back.

You may not be the only one, either. Maybe you could DM. Sounds like you got enough for two groups. You don't have to leave the group, though. Role-play anyway. It's your character. I'm not sure how the DM can remove role-playing from the game. Your character will be at least 100 times as awesome as the other 10 characters combined. Show them that rp isn't useless by example. The DM isn't likely going to give you very interesting adventures. So, let's say the party is hacking and slashing on an ogre.

Player 1: I attack.
Player 2: I attack.
Player 3: I attack.
Player 4: I attack.
Player 5: I attack.
Player 6: I attack.
Player 7: I attack.
Player 8: I attack.
Player 9: I attack.
Player 10: I attack.
You: I ready an action. As soon as the 10 others in the party finish killing the ogre, I will walk up to the ogre's corpse. I then commend the rest of the party, saying... "Good work, my soldiers. You have done well. Your captain sees fit to give you an equal share of the creature's loot. Don't thank me for my generosity, my brave companions. Your courage has earned this. You make me proud to be your captain". If anyone claims you're not his captain, you can look to the rest of the group and ask them who the captain is, if not you.
If they name you captain, role-play being captain. Give them medals for particularly good hacks and slashes and signet rings. Give them honorifics (Such as Player 1 the Giant's Doom or Player 2 the Ogresmasher) . Knight them. Have your character use his dagger to poke holes in copper coins. Give them out to the other characters as copper medals for deeds well done; be generous. Keep up with how many they have. Make one silver medal in the same way. Only give out 1 such medal per fight... not to every character, only the one who did something memorable and cool. Keep up with how many they have. As the players are preparing to fight for a really awesome monster... make a gold medal in the same fashion.

If they don't want you as captain, suggest taking a vote on who the captain should be if not you. Nominate one of the other characters. Treat him like the captain. Address him as Captain or Lord, or m'Lord or some such. If he tells you to do something, do it... If he tells someone else to do something and they refuse his 'order', take the captain's side. Make role-playing matter.

He may want to give up being captain. It's a tough job.

With a group as large as you have, could it be that the DM is simply having trouble keeping up with all the characters and isn't trying to cut out role-play all together, he's just trying to keep things focused. 11 people is a lot to handle, especially if several people take over the conversation with lengthy descriptions of every scar and tattoo they have.

What edition are you playing? just curious.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
i love this response....and i'm 100% stealing the "captain" thing for the next leader i play (which will now be a warlord ) - our group does roleplay :-)
i love this response....and i'm 100% stealing the "captain" thing for the next leader i play (which will now be a warlord ) - our group does roleplay :-)

The Warlord in my last game was the "Captain"  When in touch range, his healing word was a kick in the pants by his "boots of healing"
Sometimes I miss that Captain. 

To the OP:
Try to be a DM yourself.  a 10-man group is going to take a very long time for combat encounters in 4th edition.  Probably any edition, base on the numbers alone. 
Try to run a game yourself.  Other players may join you because they don't want to do combat only.  Make sure that the other DM knows that it's not quitting the game because you dislike the person, but that you actually wanted to Role-play in a Role Playing Game.
Having the RP in this game may annoy your DM and other players.  It may bring out some desire for other players to RP as well.  You'll never know until you try.

Good luck, let us know what happens
an 11-person party is *#^-ing NUTS.
Period.
I've been in 7 and 8-person parties, and those are too big.

with 12 people, you can have 2 campaigns running. Someone has to be willing to run the game. All it takes is bluster and the willingness to see your side of the board killed on a regular basis. Go to the bookstore and flip through the DMG while you're there. Take notes.

If you want, there are several Play-by-post boards here. check them out. See if any are looking for players in the Recruitment board