Can unseen servant be dominated?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
If an unseen servant picks up an object that insantly dominates a person who holds it; will it be dominated? Will the person who conjured it with the ritual be dominated instead? I stated no but another player said I might be since I control it. But countered that I am not mentally connected to it and it is not a apart of me. I just give it order and it follows them. What do you all think?
I would say no.  The ritual conjurs the servant.  There is a focus involved, and whoever holds the focus can command the servant.  

Now, as per rules for Conjurations
 Creator’s Defenses: Normally, a conjuration cannot be attacked or physically affected. If a conjuration can be attacked or physically affected, it uses its creator’s defenses.  Unless an attack specifically targets conjurations, only the attack’s damage (not including ongoing damage) affects the conjuration. For instance, an attack power that would cause a creature to take 20 cold damage and become immobilized would instead deal only the cold damage to a conjuration.

So, unless this item specifically targets conjurations, then the conjuration is immune to the Domination portion of the attack.

Also, they are not considered creatures, so if this item dominates creatures, again, the conjuration is safe 
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
I would say no.  The ritual conjurs the servant.  There is a focus involved, and whoever holds the focus can command the servant.  

Now, as per rules for Conjurations
 Creator’s Defenses: Normally, a conjuration cannot be attacked or physically affected. If a conjuration can be attacked or physically affected, it uses its creator’s defenses.  Unless an attack specifically targets conjurations, only the attack’s damage (not including ongoing damage) affects the conjuration. For instance, an attack power that would cause a creature to take 20 cold damage and become immobilized would instead deal only the cold damage to a conjuration.

So, unless this item specifically targets conjurations, then the conjuration is immune to the Domination portion of the attack.

Also, they are not considered creatures, so if this item dominates creatures, again, the conjuration is safe 

That makes sense, though this item is important in our current boss battle as we must get it to a magic orb to detroys the surrounding enemies. Since it dominates anyone who touches it I suggested we use my Unseen Servant to grab it and put it in the orb. It does not weight much as it is a pixie's throne and if the pixie and the deva paladin in our party can lift it up then I do not see why the unseen servant cannot. Now if it had a dispel magic enchantment on it then that would be something different but I do not think the DM mentioned that.
Dominate only applies to creatures, Conjurations aren't creatures.
So the throne's effects will not both my unseen servant. But could it somehow affect me? I just fear the dm may pll a rule 0 and prevent my unseen servant from touching it as it will make this boss battle end a little quick.
Just smile and tell him 4e has no "rule zero"?  Seriously though, players have to have an expectation that their abilities will work the way they say they work, or everything bogs down to a guessing game of "well, this might work, but I don't know, I mean, the DM might say that Burning Hands ignites the floor or something..."
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
Dare I suggest the simple solution of... a bag?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

We have plenty of bags but the problem is you have to succeed at the will save or be dominated. And our goal is to place the throne into the orb to prevent its magic and render the boss effectively weak. Even if you put it in a bag you would have to take it out to put it in the orb and thus you would have to try and resist the domination again. And the domination is hard to resist as it has a +18 to the domination and unless the DM rolls a low number, not even I who has the highest will save likely can not resist 30's and up.

We have plenty of bags but the problem is you have to succeed at the will save or be dominated. And our goal is to place the throne into the orb to prevent its magic and render the boss effectively weak. Even if you put it in a bag you would have to take it out to put it in the orb and thus you would have to try and resist the domination again. And the domination is hard to resist as it has a +18 to the domination and unless the DM rolls a low number, not even I who has the highest will save likely can not resist 30's and up.

You wouldn't have to touch it to put it into or pull it out of a bag, assuming the bag is large enough

If it weighs 20 lbs or less you could use Mage Hand to both put it in and take it out.

Otherwise, you could just pull the bag over the top of it, tip it over and close the bag.  Then open the bag over the orb and shake it out - or just toss the whole bag into the orb (depending on what sort of orb this is)

If an unseen servant or some other conjuration manipulates the object, it will have no effect on you, unless the object description specifically states that it will try to dominate any creature that touches it AND/OR any creature controlling an effect which affects the object. 

Might this cause the battle to end more quickly - Yes and thats exactly the benefit of trying stuff like this and finding creative solutions that are completely within the rules. The party shouldn't be punished for finding this sort of solution and the best written adventures actually account for fairly obvious solutions like this by leaving comments for the DM about it.  For example - Unseen Servant has a focus of a ceramic hand which allows the holder to command any servant it was used to summon.  You'd probably have to hold this to give the servant the particular directions to pick up the throne and carry it to the orb. 
  Opposing creatures could try to break the ceramic hand, which dispels the servent - or they might try to knock the object out of the servents grasp (there aren't good rules for this so the DM might have to improvise something reasonable).
From what I know we have a lot of bag of holdings so I do not know if you could tip it over like that. I will get more info this friday and we will see what happens.
if it had a dispel magic enchantment on it then that would be something different but I do not think the DM mentioned that.

If your DM has goal in mind, it's sometimes even more fun to try something, then work with him to provide reasons why it might not work.

I don't expect a DM consider every possible option. So if the DM wanted someone to become dominated, I might suggest to him:
- The orb is capable of making a close burst or ranged attack against someone trying to affect it.
- The orb is immune to movement (unless held).
etc.

Sign In to post comments