cost versus effect with Sphinx of the Chimes

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering how the "discard" part of Sphinx of the Chimes is accounted for.  Is it considered a cost or is it considered an effect.  Specifically, I was wondering if Library of Leng would trigger off it .  The rules for Library of Leng say that it triggers when an "effect" would have you discard a card.  So, does the Sphinx meet that requirement?  Similarly, would it trigger off of Skirge Familiar when I discard to generate black mana?  Would I be able to essentially draw out my library with these two cards in play?  Thanks.

--Naughtymage
From the Library of Leng's collected rulings:

You can't use the Library of Leng ability to place a discarded card on top of your library when you discard a card as a cost, because costs aren't effects.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Anything before the colon ( : ) in activated abilities is a cost and not an effect. There's no interaction with Library of Leng.
It is a cost. 

In an activated ability, everything before the colon is the cost; everything after the colon is the effect. 
ah ok.  That's what I was thinking.  Anyone know of any alternatives to the library that would work as a card engine?
oh and thanks :-) 
ah ok.  That's what I was thinking.  Anyone know of any alternatives to the library that would work as a card engine?

Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

but best to ask in "cards and combos" below
proud member of the 2011 community team