DC adventure system cards

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone tried mixing in the Adventure System cards from the Dungeon Command games?
How has it worked out? Do you have any special rules, such as using those cards to replace other montster cards, or do you just mix them all in? Does it enhance the game for you?
The boss monsters from the AS games are still tougher, but adding these monsters in will do two good things for your game:
1. It allows you to customize a more thematic deck of monsters for custom scenarios.
2. It diminishes the feeling of cycling through monsters already familiar to your group.
Adding the new monsters is a great way to add variety to the AS games. The problem is that many of the DC monsters are very dangerous and will add a lot more difficulty to the scenario, especially if you draw several of them onto the board at one time. One way to deal with this is have an XP cap whereby there can never be more than n XP on the table at one time (n = whatever you want, to set the max difficulty). Once you max out the XP cap you draw don't draw new monsters until you are below the cap.

Alternatively you can just give the party more healing surges to compensate for the increased difficulty.

Regardless, it's really fun and adds plenty of new flavor to the game.
 Adding in the Creature Cards is a good way to mix things up (although I was mixing up Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft, and Legend of Drizzt monster cards long before Dungeon Command came out).
 However I find my biggest boost comes from using the Allies Encounter Card from Heart of Cormyr. Putting two of them into any Encounter Deck really makes a huge difference. It tones down the brutality of the Encounter Deck so that you no longer feel like you're being punished for playing.
 I keep it at two cards only, adding three or four weakens the Encounter Deck to much and makes the game a little TOO easy.   
 Adding in the Creature Cards is a good way to mix things up (although I was mixing up Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft, and Legend of Drizzt monster cards long before Dungeon Command came out).
 However I find my biggest boost comes from using the Allies Encounter Card from Heart of Cormyr. Putting two of them into any Encounter Deck really makes a huge difference. It tones down the brutality of the Encounter Deck so that you no longer feel like you're being punished for playing.
 I keep it at two cards only, adding three or four weakens the Encounter Deck to much and makes the game a little TOO easy.   

+1 to all of this.
Cool, thanks for the replies.
I know there's a special adventure around here somewhere that compbines Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon. Are there any special adventures out there that combine different elements of the three Adventure System games as well as the new cards?