After The Darkening

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK reading through the first encounter(s) and what happens when the Darkening is released on Faerun, I have to ask what beyond the initial description will be the face of the world I describe to the PCs?

Once the darkness is released, will the entire Realms be thrown into the darkness and gloom of the Underdark?  Will there be areas where the Darkening will be held at bay, forming fortresses for the forces fo Good to fight? 

Basically what will everybody here do to describe what is happening to Faerun over the two years of this fight?
The entire surface of the world in the areas where the adventures take place is shrouded, causing dim light during the day and darkness at night.
So if they travel to someplace like Waterdeep (not specifically in the adventure) in between sessions (or even in session, I'm not picky) then we can describe areas where the demonweave still hasn't taken effect?  As the sessions go on, have you thought of describing the weave as taking in more and more of Faerun?

I know that in my mind it does describe the epicness of this threat.
I think I'm going to use the horror/dread cards from the Gloomwrought box this season. We used them in the Dark Legacy of Evard campaign to great effect.
The Gloomwrought cards are a great idea! I may very well use them myself.
OK reading through the first encounter(s) and what happens when the Darkening is released on Faerun, I have to ask what beyond the initial description will be the face of the world I describe to the PCs?

Once the darkness is released, will the entire Realms be thrown into the darkness and gloom of the Underdark?  Will there be areas where the Darkening will be held at bay, forming fortresses for the forces fo Good to fight? 

Basically what will everybody here do to describe what is happening to Faerun over the two years of this fight?

When I read through the background and the first session, I had a different interpretation... 
From the background:
Show
Across the surface world, Loth's servitors draw on the Demon Weave to create shrouds of darkness that they call the Darkening.

My reading of this indicates that the Darkening has already happened in other regions and perhaps the characters have even heard of it before arriving in Quaervarr. In session 1, the Darkening is introduced to the Silver Marches for the first time, but not the first time in Faerun.

...Is that interpretation definitely wrong?? If so, I'm going to have to revise my session 0/1 handouts...

When I read through the background and the first session, I had a different interpretation... 
From the background:
Show
Across the surface world, Loth's servitors draw on the Demon Weave to create shrouds of darkness that they call the Darkening.

My reading of this indicates that the Darkening has already happened in other regions and perhaps the characters have even heard of it before arriving in Quaervarr. In session 1, the Darkening is introduced to the Silver Marches for the first time, but not the first time in Faerun.

...Is that interpretation definitely wrong?? If so, I'm going to have to revise my session 0/1 handouts...

No that may be entirely possible.  My reading of it may be incorrect, which is why I was asking about it.