Planechase Campaign

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Having trouble here, I'm on the PC and the 3 AI keep going after me.  I could have sworn this mode is a free for all scenario but apparently the AI didn't get the memo.  What am I supposed to do here?  Can any of the decks keep up with 3 other decks with buffs from Planechase cards, especially when Ajani buffs his life with every drop?

I'm probably the only person on the planet having this problem but I can assure you, it's happening.
You just need to keep trying, really.  The AI tends to gang up on whatever player doesn't have a blocker.  Sometimes it's you, sometimes it's another AI player.  

Play a deck with heavy removal like OD or SS; make another AI player vulnerable and try to keep a blocker of your own, and you should get the AI to turn on the other AI players.  

I haven't played Planechase since the expansion so maybe things have changed; I don't really like the mode at all. 
You just need to keep trying, really.  The AI tends to gang up on whatever player doesn't have a blocker.  Sometimes it's you, sometimes it's another AI player.  

Play a deck with heavy removal like OD or SS; make another AI player vulnerable and try to keep a blocker of your own, and you should get the AI to turn on the other AI players.  

I haven't played Planechase since the expansion so maybe things have changed; I don't really like the mode at all. 

Yea, I'm not a fan of it either since it can artificially overpower decks and it can also drag the games out a lot.  I'm definitely going to keep trying as I want to complete everything and this is all that's left.  Thanks for the advice.
I would by no means consider myself the most experienced, but I've been watching and trying to learn and understand the AI's way of thinking during Planechase. It is true that they have a tendency to gang up on the weakest player rather than team up to take down the strongest. Personally I would find the later to be a much more effective strategy, but what can you do. Too often I'll see Ajani sitting on 50 life while another player (like myself) is about to get killed off. But enough of that. There are a few other things that I've noticed. In one situation it was in the early game with only one player having a creature out with everyone having two lands out except for me who had three. When it came around to the creature's controler's turn who did they attack? Me of course. Wasn't surprised by that as I probably was considered the biggest threat at that point in the game with my extra land. The AI also likes to exploit weaknesses such as use of flying creatures or attacking when you have creatures you would rather not block with. A more recent strategy that I've tried working on has been to focus more on defense during the early portion of the game. At least long enough to direct the AI's attention onto a different player. If you can get them to fight each other you can hold out longer and make offensive strikes accordingly.

Personally I find Ajani to be one of the biggest pains in Plainchase. I've watched him climb from 15 life to 90 with two 20+/20+ creatures as a result of having all creatures brought back from the grave. I try to not leave him unchecked during fights, but always have to watch the other players as well.
I've been meaning to try Planechase with the new decks, but haven't gotten around to it.

My strategy for beating the campaign was pretty simple: Bomb-heavy Liliana.
2x Reiver Demon, Plague Wind, Phyrexian Obliterator, Rune-Scarred Demon, Avatar of Woe, Pestilence Demon, Massacre Wurm, Grave Titan... Things that can single-handedly wipe a board or have reach or both.

Making it to the end-game shouldn't be difficult and once there, no other decks are going to stand against you for long.
I finally got the AI to fight each other and kept Ajani's life in check.  I beat them with a fully built Grinning Malice deck.  I haven't tried the next one yet because I've been playing around with Aura Servants a bit.  At least I know what to do going in now. 

Thanks for the tip on Liliana, Splat.
am im the only one who thinks planechase is really easy.

It was never that it was hard.  It's just a poor mode where the AI can easily team up on you.  I don't like it is all.  Way too much luck thrown into that mode.  Only doing it for completion.  Though if it's really easy, there's higher difficulty modes as well.

It was never that it was hard.  It's just a poor mode where the AI can easily team up on you.  I don't like it is all.  Way too much luck thrown into that mode.  Only doing it for completion.  Though if it's really easy, there's higher difficulty modes as well.

i beat it on planeswalker. Yes there's allot of luck involve but it will still be fairly easy to someone whose good at the game. you learn how the ai plays and counter simple.

i beat it on planeswalker. Yes there's allot of luck involve but it will still be fairly easy to someone whose goo at the game. you learn how the ai plays and counter simple.

k
Crysus.
It's always nice to see someone is goo.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Crysus.
It's always nice to see someone is goo.

??? goo the word is good bro. lol
I found some games they would all gang up on me and other time they wouldn't even bother with me. Maybe that's just for me though, every game is different :P
Planechase is by far the worst version of mtg I have ever played.  It takes all skill and throws it out the window, very annoying, not fun in the least bit.  Not that Arch Enemy was great by any means (the alternate in DotP 2012), but I would take Arch Enemy any day over the awfulness of Planechase.  I hope they never use it again.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Planechase is by far the worst version of mtg I have ever played.  It takes all skill and throws it out the window, very annoying, not fun in the least bit.  Not that Arch Enemy was great by any means (the alternate in DotP 2012), but I would take Arch Enemy any day over the awfulness of Planechase.  I hope they never use it again.

its also slow and boring. Its similar to playing i de clear war or go fish meaning its only fun for kids or people who arn't vary good at the game.