Need Help with my UW Deck

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I originally posted this in Standard General forums and realized that i should have posted this deck here.

I need some help fleshing out my UW deck that evolved from my angel deck once RTR came out. It plays well but i am always looking to improve it. Also would like to get a 15 card sideboard for FNM but i never played with one before. Feel free to offer any suggestions i just ask that you explain the reasoning behind them so i can learn from them. 

24 Creatures
Cathedral Sanctifier 
Wingcrafter 
Alchemist's Apprentice 
Azorius Arrester 
New Prahv Guildmage 
Serra Avenger 
Stealer of Secrets 
Goldnight Redeemer
Archon of the Triumvirate
Serra Avatar

1 Planeswalker:
1  Tamiyo, the Moon Sage 

13 Spells:
Cyclonic Rift 
Inaction Injunction 
Search Warrant 
2 Oblivion Ring 
Faith's Reward 
Inspiration 
Supreme Verdict 
Planar Cleansing 

22 Land:
Azorius Guildgate 
Island 
Plains
Anyone have any suggestions?
my suggestions fall into three basic categories, but they're conveniently pretty universal for deckbuilding purposes.

(1)  Know what your deck's plan is.  For the most part, it looks like your deck is a fast aggro deck, with 19 of your 24 creatures having casting cost 3 or less.  In that case, your deck should include cards that support a beat-face-quickly strategy.  You have 5 6+ casting cost creatures; they don't help you achieve your 'plan'.  Same with Supreme Verdict, Planar Cleansing, Inspiration, etc.

(2) Some cards are better than others, and if you care about winning, you should use the better cards when possible.  None of your creatures are currently seeing constructed play; Sanctifier and Apprentice in particular are just not very good.  UW aggro to me runs 4 Knight of Glory, 4 Silverblade Paladin, 4 Geist of St. Traft.  

(3) Your manabase.  22 land isn't enough to support many of your spells; but i've already recommended you cut many of those anyway.  If you make those cuts and replace with low cost spells, 22 land might be enough, but for an average deck, 24 is the number.  If you ever want to cast 6 and 7 casting cost spells, 24 land isn't enough without other sources.  Finally, the guildgates are subpar duals in general, but in aggro they're just bad.  I'm guessing you don't want to pay for shocks, but the other duals aren't expensive and they're much better here than guildgates.  You probably also want to tilt toward Plains as well; you have cheap WW spells but no cheap UUs.
my suggestions fall into three basic categories, but they're conveniently pretty universal for deckbuilding purposes.

(1)  Know what your deck's plan is.  For the most part, it looks like your deck is a fast aggro deck, with 19 of your 24 creatures having casting cost 3 or less.  In that case, your deck should include cards that support a beat-face-quickly strategy.  You have 5 6+ casting cost creatures; they don't help you achieve your 'plan'.  Same with Supreme Verdict, Planar Cleansing, Inspiration, etc.

(2) Some cards are better than others, and if you care about winning, you should use the better cards when possible.  None of your creatures are currently seeing constructed play; Sanctifier and Apprentice in particular are just not very good.  UW aggro to me runs 4 Knight of Glory, 4 Silverblade Paladin, 4 Geist of St. Traft.  

(3) Your manabase.  22 land isn't enough to support many of your spells; but i've already recommended you cut many of those anyway.  If you make those cuts and replace with low cost spells, 22 land might be enough, but for an average deck, 24 is the number.  If you ever want to cast 6 and 7 casting cost spells, 24 land isn't enough without other sources.  Finally, the guildgates are subpar duals in general, but in aggro they're just bad.  I'm guessing you don't want to pay for shocks, but the other duals aren't expensive and they're much better here than guildgates.  You probably also want to tilt toward Plains as well; you have cheap WW spells but no cheap UUs.

Actually i was not even going for a fast aggro deck at all. This used to be my angel deck before RTR. It just happened that all the cards i wanted in this deck tended to be low cost. I play my brother alot and he runs either ramp decks or exaulted decks so i built this deck with that in mind. Quick cards to get out to stop him from attacking (he's a defensive kind of player), spells to let me draw cards so i can get to my big cards more quickly and finally some board sweepers just incase i can not get ahead of his ramp/exaulted. I know this may not stand up to many other decks that is why i posted it here to see if this can be tweaked or if i should just build another deck entirely, which is how i understand your suggestions.
Anyone able to help?
It's tough to give any better advice than what's above; you really don't have a descernible plan and most of your cards are not up to constructed deck levels.

Look at the cards in the Gatherer database and see the ratings and read the comments; it can help with your selection.

You should pick a strategy; either go with the little guys and and cards that enhance them or add some lands and mana ramp and replace the little guys with control spells.

In either case, look for better cards, not necessarily Geist of Saint Traft or any of the other $25-or-so stuff that's aound these days, but things that at least work well together.

An example; if you want to play board sweepers, play creatures that don't mind dying: Loyal Cathar, Doomed Traveler, or maybe Mausoleum Guard. These may not be high-quality creatures, but there's a method here.

Good luck with it.
The "plan" of my deck was built around winning with Serra Avatar. I would start out by playing Cathedral Sanctifier or Azorius Arrester to use as blockers early game. Then cast Stealer of Secrets, often soulbonding Wingcrafter to it to help dig quickly in my deck for New Prahv Guildmage who could help detain if needed. By turn 4 drop Serra Avenger to take some shots at my oppenent or use defensively. Turn 6 i would like to toss out Goldnight Redeemer to regain life as well as support untill i can drop Serra Avatar.

I only recently started playing again so i am a bit behind the times on what is "a good card". To me a 3 life 1/1 creature for 1 w is pretty good but apparently it isn't. This is why i came here to see if there was a way to tweak this deck or if i should just chuck it and play a staight detain deck and be done with it, i just don't find it fun.
Most of the comments you'll get here are geared towards competitve standard play; what you're playing really seems more like a casual deck with only standard-legal cards.

Life-gain is, buy itself, not much use. Life gain in addition to something else is different. Thragtusk is crazy popular not just becuse one gains five life, but because it's a big, honkin' critter that leaves another good-sized critter when it dies and it also gives five life.

Cathedral Sanctifier is better than a vanilla 1-1, but it's not considered a competitve card because there are other one-drops that are better. Champion of the Parish is the most popular, Doomed Traveler is also popular.

Life gain with a view towards making a great-big Serra Avatar is a plan, and it's fine for kitchen-table Magic. You need cards that preserve your life total and maybe help get the Avatar in play earlier. Importantly, you need cards that can help the Avatar deliver its payload.

You can try some cheap creatures with lifelink, such as Ajani's Sunstriker. Healer of the Pride might be useful. Goldnight Redeemer can bring a load, but she's awfully expensive to cast so you want to limit them and focus on lower casting cards that will get the job done.

You might want to try high-defense cards such as Angelic Wall or some of the defenders available.

Since many lifegaining effects are enters-the-board effects, it's handy to abuse that; Cloudshift is card for this.

There are some blue cards that will help you get cards into the graveyard; this is a good thing with high-casting-cost cards like the Avatar. Defy Death is the card to get her onto the battlefield or to just get her back if she's killed.

If you're playing against flyers, you'll need either removal or additional evasion to get through. Oblivion Ring is the best white removal, Faith's Shield is a good way of getting past blockers, unless you're facing two different color flyers. There are blue cards that can make a creature unblockable.

There probably are too many ideas here to shoehorn into one deck, so you'll have to pick the ones that appeal. You need to have multiple copies of the cards you need in order to reliably get them. Cut down on the high-casting cost cards and focus on getting reliable, repeatable performance. Four copies of the important stuff you want every game, three of the stuff you don't want right away, two of the stuff that can wait.
Most of the comments you'll get here are geared towards competitve standard play; what you're playing really seems more like a casual deck with only standard-legal cards.

Life-gain is, buy itself, not much use. Life gain in addition to something else is different. Thragtusk is crazy popular not just becuse one gains five life, but because it's a big, honkin' critter that leaves another good-sized critter when it dies and it also gives five life.

Cathedral Sanctifier is better than a vanilla 1-1, but it's not considered a competitve card because there are other one-drops that are better. Champion of the Parish is the most popular, Doomed Traveler is also popular.

Life gain with a view towards making a great-big Serra Avatar is a plan, and it's fine for kitchen-table Magic. You need cards that preserve your life total and maybe help get the Avatar in play earlier. Importantly, you need cards that can help the Avatar deliver its payload.

You can try some cheap creatures with lifelink, such as Ajani's Sunstriker. Healer of the Pride might be useful. Goldnight Redeemer can bring a load, but she's awfully expensive to cast so you want to limit them and focus on lower casting cards that will get the job done.

You might want to try high-defense cards such as Angelic Wall or some of the defenders available.

Since many lifegaining effects are enters-the-board effects, it's handy to abuse that; Cloudshift is card for this.

There are some blue cards that will help you get cards into the graveyard; this is a good thing with high-casting-cost cards like the Avatar. Defy Death is the card to get her onto the battlefield or to just get her back if she's killed.

If you're playing against flyers, you'll need either removal or additional evasion to get through. Oblivion Ring is the best white removal, Faith's Shield is a good way of getting past blockers, unless you're facing two different color flyers. There are blue cards that can make a creature unblockable.

There probably are too many ideas here to shoehorn into one deck, so you'll have to pick the ones that appeal. You need to have multiple copies of the cards you need in order to reliably get them. Cut down on the high-casting cost cards and focus on getting reliable, repeatable performance. Four copies of the important stuff you want every game, three of the stuff you don't want right away, two of the stuff that can wait.

Thanks for the suggestions pzbw7z! Alot of the cards you mentioned i actually had in my angel deck i used to have. I ran Angelic Wall Cloudshift Oblivion Ring and Defy Death as well as the Goldnight Redeemer Cathedral Sanctifier and Serra Avatar. I was considering dropping Goldnight Redeemer from the deck for the reason you mentioned. Was not sure if i should add a 4th to my low cost creatures or add in more control or other spells.