Cooldown Caster

I was just thinking. Is a cooldown based caster possible?

We have the know all, prepare beforehand wizard.
The MP based Sorcerer.
And we have the Warlock with the encounter based bursts.

But what if we also had another caster where the abilities instead had cooldowns on them.
I do understand that it would be similar to the Warlock, being an encounter based caster but a major difference is, the warlock can cast the same spell multiple times succesively, yet requires a short rest to re cast these abilities.

The CDC (cooldown caster) would not require short rests to recast his abilities but cannot cast the same spells succesively.

I was thinking the at will equivalents would just be a six second cooldown giving use every round. but higher level spells have longer cooldowns, so a 1st level equivalent may be 3 rounds between, 2nd level could be 5 minutes between... etcetc

just a thought, tell me what you think
Your a little late for an April Fools joke my friend

You mean like a super fast version of the Recharge Magic option from Unearthed Arcana?

Why not?

Edit: Make sure your url=blablabla links aren't already hyperlinked. It breaks your link if they are.

I don't get why you are assuming this is a joke.
I am suggesting another spellcasting option that may take the interest of those who dont like their options as is
So spells... with different cooldowns... 

Some recharge by the next turn, some by the next encounter, some by the next day.

AEDU ftw.

I know you intend for many spells to cool down over several rounds but I cant see that catching on as in the end its against the philosophy of 5e so far by adding in additional bookkeeping. As far as the concept goes, there would have to be an impressive spell list or this will end up being a sub par version of the warlock with little incentive to choose the recharger over warty. 
My idea was to have a bunch of at-will class spells.. that I can boost several ways one involves a repercussion in the form of an aftter effect appropriate to the spell.
A sleep spell induces a slowed state (I dipped to deep in the sandmans well)
A fire spell induces blindness where you see only the flame.
A thunder spell induces deafness.  

The at-will spell could also be boosted also by taking a round longer and similar things.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Cool idea, actually. Has some neat potential for making magic interesting in flavor beyond mere effects. Love the role-playing potential.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own." --Gary Gygax
So spells... with different cooldowns... 

Some recharge by the next turn, some by the next encounter, some by the next day.

AEDU ftw.

I know you intend for many spells to cool down over several rounds but I cant see that catching on as in the end its against the philosophy of 5e so far by adding in additional bookkeeping. As far as the concept goes, there would have to be an impressive spell list or this will end up being a sub par version of the warlock with little incentive to choose the recharger over warty. 

this is different to AEDU

And i don't really see it being much more book keeping then writing down which spells you prepare that day and use, how much MP you have used, or which invocations cost how many favour points and blahblahblah
The bookeeping isn't a problem if you have a spell on cooldown, it's when you have 3,4, or more spells on cooldown that's a lot of turn to turn bookeeping. Mana, SPD, and AEDU are much more simple to manage once you get more than a couple abilities. 

I'm not saying it's not a cool idea, I'm just pointing out that there is a good amount of bookeeping involved.
My two copper.
The bookeeping isn't a problem if you have a spell on cooldown, it's when you have 3,4, or more spells on cooldown that's a lot of turn to turn bookeeping. Mana, SPD, and AEDU are much more simple to manage once you get more than a couple abilities. 

I'm not saying it's not a cool idea, I'm just pointing out that there is a good amount of bookeeping involved.

but when everything of the same levels has the same its not so bad.... but i see what you are saying

I am suggesting another spellcasting option that may take the interest of those who dont like their options as is

Ah sorry I lterally thought it was a joke...alot of people are criticizing DnD for being "Wowified" namely 3.5 players attempting to hate on 4e and your suggestion is pretty much exactly that. I was wrong though and I'm sorry...so real opinion time...good idea in thought but on paper it would be a nightmare to keep track of it would be much more effective in a video game that could keep track of it for you.

Ah sorry I lterally thought it was a joke...alot of people are criticizing DnD for being "Wowified" namely 3.5 players attempting to hate on 4e and your suggestion is pretty much exactly that. I was wrong though and I'm sorry...so real opinion time...good idea in thought but on paper it would be a nightmare to keep track of it would be much more effective in a video game that could keep track of it for you.

apology accepted ^_^

but i was thinking to that instead of individual spells having cooldowns and to show equivalent spell level progression, say at 1st level, you know X at wills each with 6 second cooldown, and Y 1st level spells each with a 2 minute cooldown (so basically 1 of each per encounter).
at 2nd level, you learn another 1st level spell and the cooldown drops to perhaps, 1.5 minutes.

at level 3 you gain your 2nd level equivalent spells with a 10 minute cooldown, which will decrease as you level as well :P
My idea was to have a bunch of at-will class spells.. that I can boost several ways one involves a repercussion in the form of an aftter effect appropriate to the spell.
A sleep spell induces a slowed state (I dipped to deep in the sandmans well)
A fire spell induces blindness where you see only the flame.
A thunder spell induces deafness.  

The at-will spell could also be boosted also by taking a round longer and similar things.

This is very close to what I have been tinkering with.  Using a CS dice mechanic, I was trading expertise dice for a spell rider on cantrips.  Riders could take a round or two to recharge.  Dunno.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

I played with the UA cooldown system for a few sessions and found it a bit awkward. Basically my casters had an array of dice counters on their sheet. It wasn't too bad keeping track but the other big consequence of the cooldown was I'd be running on fumes after the second or third rounds. The way the spell levels were balanced in 3e made it tricky to have something relevent available every round.

Also, UA's system had a load of exceptions in the list that had longer cooldowns, which was a total pain.

I don't mind the concept though. I wonder how we could break it from the issues UA had? The CS dice could be interesting.

but the other big consequence of the cooldown was I'd be running on fumes after the second or third rounds.  

hmmm that brings an issue of any class which is capable of climactic ability .. there needs to be a discouragement for use too early in the fight - when I present Heroic Effort a spending of CS dice til you had a rest to recover them. That was one of its features. If you do it too early the expenditure became a price if you timed it right it sped the finale and gave a big boom.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

but the other big consequence of the cooldown was I'd be running on fumes after the second or third rounds.  

hmmm that brings an issue of any class which is capable of climactic ability .. there needs to be a discouragement for use too early in the fight - when I present Heroic Effort a spending of CS dice til you had a rest to recover them. That was one of its features. If you do it too early the expenditure became a price if you timed it right it sped the finale and gave a big boom.

i agree with you saying that it wards of use too early, and that is the point of using a recharging caster

heh well, I didn't mind running on fumes because I dominated the first couple of rounds; that's fair enough. The UA system didn't have to nova that hard to lock yourself out of half your spell list though, especially early on.

The other big issue with UA's system is that some spells had longer cooldowns than others, which led to inconsistency within the system.

But honestly if a wizard player rocks out, burns out, and then complains that they can't keep doing it they can expect no sympathy from me. In a way, I like that you have the opportunity to blow all your resources in a round or two, because that's what makes a resource something that needs to be managed. Poor management means you spend it all too early and run on fumes, spend not enough and you're consistently left with overspill into the next cycle.

That's the whole point of having a resource.

Back to this idea though: I like it. I liked UA's recharge too but it was too fiddlly and 4e's AEDU was far too universally applied (though there was nothing wrong with the system, in itself).

heh well, I didn't mind running on fumes because I dominated the first couple of rounds; that's fair enough. The UA system didn't have to nova that hard to lock yourself out of half your spell list though, especially early on.

The other big issue with UA's system is that some spells had longer cooldowns than others, which led to inconsistency within the system.

But honestly if a wizard player rocks out, burns out, and then complains that they can't keep doing it they can expect no sympathy from me. In a way, I like that you have the opportunity to blow all your resources in a round or two, because that's what makes a resource something that needs to be managed. Poor management means you spend it all too early and run on fumes, spend not enough and you're consistently left with overspill into the next cycle.

That's the whole point of having a resource.

Back to this idea though: I like it. I liked UA's recharge too but it was too fiddlly and 4e's AEDU was far too universally applied (though there was nothing wrong with the system, in itself).

exactly, i dont understand why people complain about having to think too much with their resources. also, they complain about those requiring thought are too powerful. It only comes across as too powerful when going on the simple assumption of one battle a day with no tactics from the enemy >.>

So you feel this is a feasible cooldown system for a caster?

in principle I don't see why not. It sounds a bit like the ritualist caster insofar as the time delay decreases with level or spell level, right?

As far as tracking goes, it'd be best if casters of this kind didn't have a very large list. Maybe they prepared from a larger list every day or maybe they only know so many effects but unleashing the whole spell list in this fashion might be a bit much.

Probably what I'd do is have the cooldowns decrease as your spell access expanded - so the spells of your highest level could even be a daily resource, next highest an encounter one, next down becomes the equivalent to an at-will.

If you kept the spell list tight it could work. I'm not sure how compatable traditions are with what I just laid out though.

Sign In to post comments