Trawling for Ideas

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've sorely begged my group to let me be a player sometime soon and shock and amaze, I will finally be returning to the other side of the DM screen! Woo!

However, I'm not really sure what to play. I had a brief foray with an idea of a Tiefling Infernalock but can't really make it interesting in my head. I want something fun and interesting to play but perhaps have spent too long looking solely at combat effectiveness.

I used to keep a list of ideas back in 3.5 but looking over it, it's all Savage Species/Gestalt shenanigans and inappropriate for the game.

Thus far my ideas, both uninteresting to me:

Tiefling Infernal Warlock - Though I read an interesting level 2 thing for the Sorcerer-King Pact that had me doing 4d8 damage. It's not easy to make an interesting character from a single combat trick.

Goliath/Minotaur Greatsword wielding Melee of some kind - Basically played like Sten from DA:O. The references I could make would amuse me and my partner but... well that's quite a few years ago now, not sure if anyone else would appreciate it.

Tips? Expansions? Crazy concepts? Alignment is not an issue, the game I was running had a CE Paladin of Gruumsh, the player of such is likely to be next DM, it would almost be vengeful to play something as evil.
I'm personally playing a tiefling fireblaster wizard. He is kinda a pompous guy who loves scheming and loves burning everything (Even fire-elementals eventually xD )

Infernal prince background with a pyromancer mage build is different but so far fun to play ;)
Taking burn it with fire to it's logical extreme, I suppose. Have to personality it a bit... hmm... Tiefling with Fire spells is a bit generic without a quirk or three. I'll think moar.

Well, let's see...

I have a psychotic eladrin feylock (built for teleporting, with the alt racial feature for proficiency with wiz implements to use a staff of the traveller) who's his own pact patron - while having a particularly bad day, he met a small Tinkerbelle-style fairy who asked him why he wasn't smiling... He grabbed her out of the air and ate her. His powers are quite literally a bad case of indigestion. Being immortal, the now-digested fairy reformed inside his body as sort of a second magical central nervous system - she now exists as a voice inside his head, and he has access to her magic. He occasionally begins talking to himself in two separate voices at once as the two of them argue and sometimes falls to the ground foaming at the mouth as the two fight for control over his body.
 Being largely modeled in the vein of a horror movie slasher, his powers are either visually fluffed as horror-movie FX or as the green glowing fairy coming out of him and doing stuff.

Another character is a pixie druid built for aerial charging - in-game, he's neither a pixie nor a druid but a fey crow spirit from the Feywild. His personality is very crow-like - he's loud, raucous, greedy, extremely curious... and occasionally likes to snack on dead things. He was flying through the Feywild one day when he saw the Raven Queen flying past in the shape of a crow and fell immediately in lust with her. She led him on a merry chase for so long he lost track of time and distance and somehow ended up on the material plane.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

We could expand this to "I will play whatever you tell me, however you tell me to", so far everyone has had some unique ideas that have trashed all over my last few characters. Barring one, I suppose.

Haarhus was a Revenant Assassin who was sent back by the Raven Queen to hunt the piss out of every undead ever. He would get drunk so as to pierce the veil between reality and fantasy, where he could talk to the Raven Queen and receive direct instructions, finding out next targets etc. He would also get drunk before major battles, so that the Raven Queen could take direct control of him. After a drastic defeat at the hand of a Lich, he hunted down a monastery so that he could receive training in new skills, foregoing the old that had so failed him.

Six months later he emerged from the monastery as an Avenger of the Raven Queen, his divine link an actual reality now, rather than just possibly true or possibly just a drinking problem.

Nothing since/before have I really had a chance to RP or develop.
Idea gotten!

A woad paint wearing, rude mouthed, axe wielding Pixie Slayer named Lilydrop the Bloodletter. Story to come when I've either got more or less alcohol in my system.
A friend of mine recently ran a svirfneblin cleric armed with a dwarven thrower battleaxe that was pretty nifty
Idea gotten!

A woad paint wearing, rude mouthed, axe wielding Pixie Slayer named Lilydrop the Bloodletter. Story to come when I've either got more or less alcohol in my system.

Something like this? lol

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Idea gotten!

Something like this? lol

Less axe more spear, but yeah somewhat.