Lets talk RTR Block

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
What are the predictions for the block metagame, unpolarised by Thragtusk and anti-Thragtusk.

My guesses:

UWR Control
UWG Ramp/Control

Golgari midrange splashing red for Dreadbore and Rakdos Return.

Junk Midrange.

Selesnya Aggro/Midrange
Selesnya/Naya Ramp.

Azorius Aggro.
Rakdos Aggro.

Maybe an Izzet burn deck.
It's good to see someone chatting about Block. From watching games on MTGO, the most popular decks seem to be Rakdos aggro and Selesnya Midrange. These are the most popular draft archetypes aswell, as early on in Block people do just mirror what works in draft to some extent. I can definately see UWR control do well also, as there is alot of very strong cards available for the aechetype like Supreme Verdict, Jace, Architect of Thought, Mizzium Mortars, Detention Sphere. It also has access to some very stong finishers in the form of Niz-Mizzet, Dracogenius or Isperia, Supreme Judge.
It's good to see someone chatting about Block. From watching games on MTGO, the most popular decks seem to be Rakdos aggro and Selesnya Midrange. These are the most popular draft archetypes aswell, as early on in Block people do just mirror what works in draft to some extent. I can definately see UWR control do well also, as there is alot of very strong cards available for the aechetype like Supreme Verdict, Jace, Architect of Thought, Mizzium Mortars, Detention Sphere. It also has access to some very stong finishers in the form of Niz-Mizzet, Dracogenius or Isperia, Supreme Judge.

The big problem from what I have seen and witnessed is that control decks just fold to a well timed Rakdos's Return. If you are fighting an opponent would can play it, you have to constantly play around it as if they can get it off it really just cripples control.

Slaughter Games can also run circles around control if they pick the right cards (Jace or finishers).

Isperia also seems weaker than other options considering she dies to much of the removal (4 toughness FTL).

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

Rakdos's Return is practically a mirror of Sphinx's Revelation, but the latter is much easier to resolve.

Returning to the game after a couple years, so I am focusing on RTR Block as a more managable and affordable alternative to Standard.

Having watched dozens of RTR block constructed matches on MTGO, I am kind of surprised at relatively slow speed of the aggro decks.  Maybe I just haven't seen the good ones.

Tap-out control with UWR or UWG, using planeswalkers, sorcery-speed removal, etc is probably very strong, but UW by itself has some excellent tempo and control tools for a more permission-style play: Sphinx's Revelation, Cyclonic Rift, Azorius Charm, Dramatic Rescue, and Syncopate.

This was my first trial deck:

I'm kind of tempted to try forgoing the sorcery-speed stuff like Supreme Verdict and Detention Sphere in the main deck.

If I had to make bets, I'd bet on the following archetypes to dominate block:

Rumbleback Rhino's Trip To The Inn (Bant Hexblade)
Jace Spirals Out Of Control (UW Mill)
Jarad Orders Up A Plate Of Good Stuff (Jund Dredge)
Is That An Armada Wurm Or Is Your Worldspine Just Happy To See Me? (What the hell is a mana curve?.dec)
Grixis Aggro. I can't think of anything cute to name it, but it seems legit. Rakdos Cackler, Nivmagus Elemental, Frostburn Weird, Judge's Familiar. Pair them up with civic sabers, pursuit of flights, and deviant glees. Add some removal and it's good to go.

And, invariably, one kitchen sink deck will play as many triple and quadruple color-costed mythics as possible because chromatic lantern is a card.

I think all of these decks have inherent play against the generic control shells you're going to see going around, either by limiting interactivity or just out-grinding them with better spells. My main prediction for the format is that counterspells define it, and every blue deck will be maindecking dispel.
If I had to make bets, I'd bet on the following archetypes to dominate block:

Rumbleback Rhino's Trip To The Inn (Bant Hexblade)
Jace Spirals Out Of Control (UW Mill)
Jarad Orders Up A Plate Of Good Stuff (Jund Dredge)
Is That An Armada Wurm Or Is Your Worldspine Just Happy To See Me? (What the hell is a mana curve?.dec)
Grixis Aggro. I can't think of anything cute to name it, but it seems legit. Rakdos Cackler, Nivmagus Elemental, Frostburn Weird, Judge's Familiar. Pair them up with civic sabers, pursuit of flights, and deviant glees. Add some removal and it's good to go.

And, invariably, one kitchen sink deck will play as many triple and quadruple color-costed mythics as possible because chromatic lantern is a card.

I think all of these decks have inherent play against the generic control shells you're going to see going around, either by limiting interactivity or just out-grinding them with better spells. My main prediction for the format is that counterspells define it, and every blue deck will be maindecking dispel.

The meta has already developed.  All of your predictions are wrong.
The archetypes are as follows:
1:  grixis control
2:  u/w/(sometimes g) control
3:  rakdos aggro (this is a bad deck)
4:  selesnya tokens
5:  golgari dredge
I hate dogs.
For one, developed on MODO != developed. Let me know when the pros are developing format breaking tech for relevant tournaments.

For two, how is my prediction of dredge wrong when you clearly have it listed?
1:  It's not jund.
2:  there's no jarad's orders. 
I hate dogs.

1. Not my problem if modo decks aren't splashing like they should be.
2. Never said there would be. It was a cute deckname. There are also probably no plates in the deck.

1. Not my problem if modo decks aren't splashing like they should be.
2. Never said there would be. It was a cute deckname. There are also probably no plates in the deck.

"Yeah, I guessed the winning decks* right, it's just that the winning decks aren't doing what they should be doing**"

*guessed 2/3 colors and the general strategy of a deck, giving 5 guesses for a meta with 5 decks, 80% of which are based on clearly defined guild themes.

**what you think they should be doing despite having played/watched... how much block? 
I hate dogs.
Withe Gatecrash openning up options into three color guild decks

pick any three and there will be a build involving those 3 colors

Selsnya/Boros is doable

Golgari

Heck Right now a golgari/Rakdos can be done