Just a suggestion for people who play 2HG.

84 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it me or people without mics absolutely suck i honestly think about 91% of them do.I mean for example i played a game today and the no mic guy on my team tryed to kill a indestructible creature three times in three turns. Also lately it's been these people with no mics are playing with 90 to 100 cards and let me tell you thats no fun at all being on that persons team i usally just leave if i see that. SO the people who are reading this and you play with no mic and/or play with 90-100 cards just dont play 2HG please if so play with the ai or free for all.
It is frustrating to be paired with a person like that but they have every right to join in and play in a public lobby as you do and this game itself caters to magic noobs. You might be the minority.

My advice is to  find a couple of friends on your system and play with them or hook up a second controller and play splitscreen (depending on your system). If I really want to win, I plug in a second controller. If I want to socialize with friends and have a decent chance at winning, I play with friends and some friends are more solid players than others....
Meh, I never used the mic when playing 2HG with randoms because the other team is probably sitting on the same PS3 and they'll be able to hear anything we say anyways.

If I do see a teammate with a mic, I'll turn mine on to shoot the breeze, but that's about it.

When you play with "randumbs", you better go in assuming the worst or you're just gonna  end up frustrated as hell.
I was surprised since getting this game for how many players don't talk smack and will actually send a message of "Good Game" etc. after a match. I've met a few people (on Xbox) since I started playing DotP a week ago and they are always up for whatever. 1v1, 2HG, Free for All etc.

Just try to find some people who you think would be people you can play, enjoy and have fun with. Maybe send a message giving pointers to that person if you notice them completely playing wrong.  
In the early days I used to bounce around from match to match looking for a teammate with a mic. No mic? I dont play with you. There is no way teammates should not be talking to each other in a game like this. Even better was to find a match where the opponents didnt have mics, advantage my team, lol.

Then once I found some guys with mics I found a decent dude who plays when I do and now hes my main partner. And if I want to play and hes not on, I got a list of friends who I know all have mics and dont use 100 card decks. And have their animations turned off! My God people lets just all do that right now, yes?
What platform are you on?
A great piece of advice if you play micked 2hg if your partner is new to you, making some mistakes but willing to learn. If you have a certain card you think they should play, or if you want them to check out a card in your hand, call out the spell by the artist's name at the bottom. Unless you're in a mirror match this will work to your advantage. I have my card view set at mana cost high to low but not every partner does, so saying, ''I think you should play your third card'' doesn't always come out the way you want.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Meant mine is set low to high. Who would set it high to low?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I'm sure all the dudes with no mics and 100 card decks frequent these forums.Tongue Out
In the early days I used to bounce around from match to match looking for a teammate with a mic. No mic? I dont play with you. There is no way teammates should not be talking to each other in a game like this. Even better was to find a match where the opponents didnt have mics, advantage my team, lol.

Then once I found some guys with mics I found a decent dude who plays when I do and now hes my main partner. And if I want to play and hes not on, I got a list of friends who I know all have mics and dont use 100 card decks. And have their animations turned off! My God people lets just all do that right now, yes?

Well, since I'm on the PC there is text chat and really that's all I need.  I actually would rather not pair up with random people from different countries and try to speak over voice because chances are we won't be able to understand each others accents.  Then again if they don't speak english not even text will help.

It's just a game for some casual fun, the leaderboards don't matter since you can inflate your score, you don't win any prizes or anything from tournaments, so really there's no reason to be so discriminatory toward others playing the game, less drama, more fun.
My advice is to  find a couple of friends on your system and play with them or hook up a second controller and play splitscreen (depending on your system). If I really want to win, I plug in a second controller. If I want to socialize with friends and have a decent chance at winning, I play with friends and some friends are more solid players than others....

Why don't you play on steam, like I do?  You may be a little green behind the ears, but you seem like you'd be a fun person to play with/against. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

He actually is fun to play with.. Go Cards!

Show

I was playing 2hg yesterday and in 4 games IN A ROW, my allies had 90+ cards. so frustrating. Luckily in one game we managed to win cuz another90+ card player tried to mill the other, which didnt quite work without a traumatize.

Anyways people, try to shrink your decks please..THERE ARE LOTS OF BAD CARDS THAT YOU CAN GET RID OF!

And seriously stop playing mindstorms with the Thunder Dragon and Living Inferno and the Manticore when u dont even play the spellbound dragon...jeez u have to wait until turn 6-7 to get active.

And please, DO NOT PLAY EXALTED OR AURA SERVANTS IN 2HG. and especially if u like to have a million cards in ur deck. really those decks have 0 synergy.

Oh PS. You should mulligan a hand with 7 lands and most importantly TURN OFF ANIMATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL

Ragemode.
I was playing 2hg yesterday and in 4 games IN A ROW, my allies had 90+ cards. so frustrating. Luckily in one game we managed to win cuz another90+ card player tried to mill the other, which didnt quite work without a traumatize.

Anyways people, try to shrink your decks please..THERE ARE LOTS OF BAD CARDS THAT YOU CAN GET RID OF!

And seriously stop playing mindstorms with the Thunder Dragon and Living Inferno and the Manticore when u dont even play the spellbound dragon...jeez u have to wait until turn 6-7 to get active.

And please, DO NOT PLAY EXALTED OR AURA SERVANTS IN 2HG. and especially if u like to have a million cards in ur deck. really those decks have 0 synergy.

Oh PS. You should mulligan a hand with 7 lands and most importantly TURN OFF ANIMATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL

Ragemode.

I disagree on Aura Servants having no synergy.  Quite the opposite actually.  Everything else I can agree with, in different words of course.
I really which they would let make certian rules for people who can join games. No more then 70 cards per deck, random decks only, etc.
AS not having 2hg synergy?
Could not disagree more.
Not only can it carry the game on it's own, it can also play awesome partned support.

Show

Aura Servants worst deck in 2hg. Maybe its quite powerful 1v1, but carrying the game solo in a 2hg is like playing 2v1.

Plus, if someone plays instant bounce or born of flame..the deck can pretty much do nothing but pump out some hexproof creatures? yes maybe a winds of wrath will be a game winning card or a fools demise on an easily growing creature would also be fun, the rest does not seem to add up with any other decks. If you think it could synergize better with another deck, please name it. Other than crazy lifegain and AS i dont see a good reason for playing that deck.

If you do not like Aura Servants or Exalted, don't use it.  Does not give you the right to tell other people not to play it. 

Both work with Crosswinds by the way.   
So you really prefer not to have an indestructable trampler, or for me to throw a 1 cost lifelink on your fatty before I nuke the board with Wrath. Would you not like card draw every time you hit with your flyer. Would you like me to flicker the Bliss off your creature before we attack?
If your answer is No to all of the above then yah, you may not want my AS as your partner.

Show

The problem with AS in 2HG is the abundance of Talrand/Jace users. Unless the creature is hex proof, once he gets a few enchantments it is getting unsummoned. Whats worse is you are losing card advantage and a lot of mana advantage since they undo what you did with 1-2 mana.....whereas it may have taken you 8 mana to cast a creature and put a few enchantments out. I think not running all the the hex-proofs is a mistake.

Also. Unless your partner is running a deck with creatures with good ETB effects, flicker wisp is really a waste. It undos a pacifism. Totally underwhelmed. Sure you have a few other options....but without an ETB combo I wouldn't run them....
Exalted does suck in 2hg, it's only good when paired with Talrand. There is some synergy there but every deck gets better when paired with CW in 2HG.
Exalted does suck in 2hg, it's only good when paired with Talrand. There is some synergy there but every deck gets better when paired with CW in 2HG.

I hope Karstien doesn't read this. Just because yur upset over trivial things doesn't mean you need to say exalted sucks in 2HG. I don't play it but my opinion would be that it's decent with mill just like OD. If anything, if ED had a damnation or two it would be one of the better decks.

CW however doesn't synergize well with certain builds of certain decks, like creature light burn, or mill light DP for example. I'm not sure about AS as I have yet to test it. The deck has it's weak pairs like any other. That's why I'm under the impression they did a great job balancing the decks. 
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

I hope Karstien doesn't read this. Just because yur upset over trivial things doesn't mean you need to say exalted sucks in 2HG. I don't play it but my opinion would be that it's decent with mill just like OD. If anything, if ED had a damnation or two it would be one of the better decks.

CW however doesn't synergize well with certain builds of certain decks, like creature light burn, or mill light DP for example. I'm not sure about AS as I have yet to test it. The deck has it's weak pairs like any other. That's why I'm under the impression they did a great job balancing the decks. 

The problem with AS in 2HG is the abundance of Talrand/Jace users. Unless the creature is hex proof, once he gets a few enchantments it is getting unsummoned. Whats worse is you are losing card advantage and a lot of mana advantage since they undo what you did with 1-2 mana.....whereas it may have taken you 8 mana to cast a creature and put a few enchantments out. I think not running all the the hex-proofs is a mistake.

Also. Unless your partner is running a deck with creatures with good ETB effects, flicker wisp is really a waste. It undos a pacifism. Totally underwhelmed. Sure you have a few other options....but without an ETB combo I wouldn't run them....

If you played with the Flickerwisp enough, you would always see a situation for it. Like the time I flickered Asceticism so I could Pacify a Lord of Extinction. Or the Time I Flickered an Honor of the Pure to substantially weaken my opponent's army during the upcoming combat (PK mirror match). Or the time I flickered my Oblivion Ring to move it to a better target. Or of you can just Flicker an untapped land to negate any combat shenanigans. I mean you can flicker anything.

And it leaves behind a 3/1 body with evasion. Run it, you'll love it.

Exalted is really good in 2HG. If you're partner is playing the aggressor, then you can run some of the nice creatures from the top of the curve, plus all the removal and enchantments (Debtor's Knell, Worship, No Mercy et. al.)

I run the weenie version of ED because I play 1v1, and it's viable in 2HG if my partner is playing control/stall.

My point? You can only judge a deck's 2HG potential if you consider its partner as well. It doesn't work in a vacuum. 
I mind controled a Rox the other night. Double life for me and not him until he had a 54/54 Pridemate. Flicker Mindcontrol, grab the Pridemate and put Pariah on it.

Show

I mind controled a Rox the other night. Double life for me and not him until he had a 54/54 Pridemate. Flicker Mindcontrol, grab the Pridemate and put Pariah on it.

I. Love. Flickerwisp.

Good thing I run something similiar to your hexproof deck.   It's actually turned me away from my regular Red/X decks for the moment.
This old chestnut again...firstly, no deck is bad in 2HG...only builds are. I can make an ED build for you that will work well with any given deck, as long as I know the build you want it to work with. Seriously, the sheer ignorance of some people...

Not saying it will be the optimum two deck combo running it with GG, but can an effective build be made? Yes, it damn well can. Same goes for any other two decks, they can all be linked if you build them right.  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
This old chestnut again...firstly, no deck is bad in 2HG...only builds are. I can make an ED build for you that will work well with any given deck, as long as I know the build you want it to work with. Seriously, the sheer ignorance of some people...

Not saying it will be the optimum two deck combo running it with GG, but can an effective build be made? Yes, it damn well can. Same goes for any other two decks, they can all be linked if you build them right.  

As you know, people are quick to blame it on the tools they are given rather than their knowledge of the tools. 

I personally, so far, haven't seen any deck that was too strong or too weak.  Any time I've lost it's either because of a bad draw or I just simply made mistakes on plays (and I make a bit of them still hehe).  I feel like there's a lot more balance now than in 2012 though.

As you know, people are quick to blame it on the tools they are given rather than their knowledge of the tools. 

I personally, so far, haven't seen any deck that was too strong or too weak.  Any time I've lost it's either because of a bad draw or I just simply made mistakes on plays (and I make a bit of them still hehe).  I feel like there's a lot more balance now than in 2012 though.

Good to know that pack instinct is just as strong and competitive as Talrand in 2HG. I learned something new. My superior win ratio using Talrand must stem from the fact that I just play Garruk poorly.

Seriously dude?

LOL No deck is bad? That is a convient way of listing it. Sure, any deck can win and can be built well or poorly. But if we are ranking deks based upon potential strength and dominance in 2HG Talrand is at the top and Pack Instinct and Exlted are at the bottom. That isn't even a question. Exalted runs well with CW because just about all decks run well with it. Collective might might be down there with them but it needs more testing before I can dismiss it.

Exalted is really good in 2HG. If you're partner is playing the aggressor, then you can run some of the nice creatures from the top of the curve, plus all the removal and enchantments (Debtor's Knell, Worship, No Mercy et. al.)

I run the weenie version of ED because I play 1v1, and it's viable in 2HG if my partner is playing control/stall.

My point? You can only judge a deck's 2HG potential if you consider its partner as well. It doesn't work in a vacuum. 

WHat do you mean if your partner is playing the agressort? The whole point for exalted is to attack with one creature that pumps up/has lifelink/is unblockable..... You want your partner being the agressor? What does he do with his creatures after you get some of your "bombs" on the board and decide to swing? It goes against the entire synergy of the exalted deck.

You want a creature light deck like Talrand to go with exalted because it doesn't want or need teammates to have creatures to attack with aside from blockers in most cases. An if Talrand reps exalted creatures then your attacker pumps even more!

Pridemate or serra avatar?

Pridemate buffed. It was a 4pffa and his Pridemate had been hanging around a while as he was concentrating on swinging Acendants as I had 1 Stalker Indestructable and another pumped and Daybreaked. I had his Rox and piling up life. When the second guy got smashed, I took the move and traded the Rox for his Pridemate.

Show

Pridemate buffed. It was a 4pffa and his Pridemate had been hanging around a while as he was concentrating on swinging Acendants as I had 1 Stalker Indestructable and another pumped and Daybreaked. I had his Rox and piling up life. When the second guy got smashed, I took the move and traded the Rox for his Pridemate.

Four way makes sense. I was like wow, I've never seen a pridemate near that big....Record for me

I think around 12-13 is the biggest I've seen one...
Okay Killa, let's see if we can get you to understand a few things. I'm not hopeful. 

1: You really think that exalted creatures are the only way to run that deck? Have you looked at the decklist? Many of the creatures have uses beyond putting them down and swinging with just one. Many don't even have exalted, you can happily build a deck with little to none of this in it. Lie I said, I can make a build that can sync well with GG of all things, who will ALWAYS want to swing. The deck has a very strong removal suite, lacking only in sweepers, but making up for it with permanant exile at instant speed. Bad builds, not bad decks. This goes for 2HG only btw. 

2: Nobody except you has stated Pack insinct is equal to Talrand. What he actually said was that he hasn't seen a deck that was too weak or too strong. Not that there aren't obviously better decks all round. Talrand is probably the best deck for 2HG, does this make other decks bad? Not at all. How bout next time you actually reply to what he actually said, before we are forced to bring out the straw man accusations?

Really now, how can you say any of these decks are truly bad seeing as we are talking about 2HG here? Do you think PI can't steamroll right through any other deck if it is played right? It can. Do you think ED can't simply keep any other deck under tight control if you play it right? It can. Failing to recognise this is your own ignorance shining through, so go ahead and keep your one dimensional view on things, we'll keep looking at the decks from every angle and having fun doing so. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

Good to know that pack instinct is just as strong and competitive as Talrand in 2HG. I learned something new. My superior win ratio using Talrand must stem from the fact that I just play Garruk poorly.

Seriously dude?

Pretty much how Karstien interpreted it.  You highlighted what I said, which means you read it.  I think it was pretty clear what I said and what I didn't say.  I used "I personally"  which means me and only me... I also used "so far", which means I have more to see and experience.  I also used the word "too" before "strong" and "weak".

Too

adverb

To an excessive extent or degree; beyond what is desirable, fitting, or right ex: Too much, Too little, Too short, Too tall.

This means that there are certain weaknesses and strengths that I've seen, but I haven't seen anything that I felt was ridiculous one way or the other.  We all experience different things at different times.  Maybe over time I will start veering over toward your opinion, but right now, that is my opinion as stated.  No one should take opinions personally.  I wasn't trying to tell you that you were wrong and I respect your opinion on the matter.

The initial quote wasn't an attack it was simply an observation that pertains to many things in our lives and happens to be true.  People do tend to exaggerate bad experiences and place blame on things that aren't deserving of that blame.  I was simply reinforcing Karstien's opinion that no deck seems to be too weak or too strong, because that's also my point of view at the moment.

Hope I cleared any misunderstandings up.  Have fun! 
i play on ps3 and belive me there's alot of people who suck if they dont have a mic.But now i just run my mill deck if im playing with a randumb just cause lol
i play on ps3 and belive me there's alot of people who suck if they dont have a mic.But now i just run my mill deck if im playing with a randumb just cause lol

I still disagree on the idea that just because people don't have a mic, they suck.  You may not be able to coordinate your cards as much as you like but that really has nothing to do with skill level.  I personally have had experiences where people did have mics and weren't very good in a lot of games period, not just duels.

By the way, this whole "randumb" idea.  Anybody you play with that isn't someone you know personally or otherwise is a random person.  Am I to believe that you think everyone you don't know is dumb?

Just trying to understand what you are saying there.

I will say though that people don't get better at any games by you bashing them because of "this or that" reason.  If you really believe a lot of people suck, you could just add them as friends and try to teach them or direct them toward valuable information that will improve their gameplay.  A lot of these "randumb" "sucky" players simply play the game for fun and don't know anything about Magic.  Then you will have people that are better at the game that you can play with.

WHat do you mean if your partner is playing the agressort? The whole point for exalted is to attack with one creature that pumps up/has lifelink/is unblockable..... You want your partner being the agressor? What does he do with his creatures after you get some of your "bombs" on the board and decide to swing? It goes against the entire synergy of the exalted deck.

You want a creature light deck like Talrand to go with exalted because it doesn't want or need teammates to have creatures to attack with aside from blockers in most cases. An if Talrand reps exalted creatures then your attacker pumps even more!

That's the whole point of the Exalted trigger, but it's not the point of the Exalted deck.

And my bombs are things like Deathbringer Liege (for his ability... Unmake now gets a bonus kill, he taps blockers, kills tapped creatures), Divinity of Pride, Angel of Despair, and Nefarox. Sure, ol' Nef has to attack alone, but he can get rid of a Stalker with a Daybreak Coronet on it. That's useful in certain circumstances, especially if you have the removal to make that the only defending creature.

My main argument for 2HG though, if you missed it, was about the enchantments I can cast that help the team.  Again, Debtor's Knell, Worship, and No Mercy. Did I mention there's a Demonic tutor to seek out the bomb/enchantment I need now? I also have several creatures with protection and a whole host of removal options. Not a bad teammate, IMO.
Sign In to post comments