Going to FNM for the First Time This Week

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm probably going to be trying my first Friday Night Magic (Standard format) this week, so I have one question to ask about it: is there anything I need to have/be prepared for besides a general knowledge of the game, a Standard-legal deck, and maybe some dice to use as counters/tokens?

The reason I ask is because I just simply don't want to show up being all clueless and looking like a moron!

Always talk to the tournamet organizer to ask how everything works. Most places all do things the same way but you never know. 
I was talking about just a general preparation for playing the game in a more formal setting. I am, however, going to call the game shop running the event tomorrow evening to learn all of the technicalities for participating.
Some people get nervous playing "competitively". You may tend to speed up or make bad decisions quickly. What I like to do (which comes from my music background) is to slow myself down but making sure that I'm breathing. It seems trivial but if you can take a break to just breathe you can refocus and get back to playing good magic. 

Also, remember to learn from what you do. Even if you're calm and collected you can still make bad plays. Losing is better for learning than winning. So when you lose take the time between rounds to think about what you could've done better and use that knowledge for the future. Nobody is a perfect magic player so that means everybody has room for improvement.  
Ain't that the truth. I played in a StarCraft tournament two years ago and that was probably the most nervous I've ever been, but if I may be so bold, it paid off; I won.

But back to the topic. I take it there's really nothing too fancy about going to FNM, then; I just show up with a deck, duke it out and hope for the best? 
But back to the topic. I take it there's really nothing too fancy about going to FNM, then; I just show up with a deck, duke it out and hope for the best? 

Pretty much, yes. Make sure to bring something to keep track of your life total and make sure to keep your stuff with you and you'll be fine.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Pretty much, yes. Make sure to bring something to keep track of your life total and make sure to keep your stuff with you and you'll be fine.

Yep, I've got some 20-sided dice to use as life counters and a bunch of six-sided dice to use as counters and tokens. So, I guess I'm all set then!

Thanks for the replies, folks!

I bring a small pad of paper to keep track of life totals. I find that writing everything down for you and your opponent makes everything more concrete. Keeps you more in touch with your total and forces you to recognize changes. 
I bring a small pad of paper to keep track of life totals. I find that writing everything down for you and your opponent makes everything more concrete. Keeps you more in touch with your total and forces you to recognize changes. 

That's a great idea. I'll throw a pen and some Post-Its in the Fat Pack box I lug around.

Dice are definitely "required".  I'd bring at least two six-sided dice to roll to decide who plays first.  Do not use a spindown for this, as they can be used to cheat pretty easily.

Always keep life totals on a notepad.  It gives you the history of each life change which you cannot keep track of on dice.  I would highly recommend keeping both players' life totals and making a note about each life change (something simple like "combat" or "shock land").

Go early and make sure there isn't anything different about how the shop runs the event, such as requiring deck lists.

Talk to the TO.  Ask about who is going to be the judge at the event, how they handle judge calls (usually just yelling "JUDGE!" and keeping your hand raised), as well as any other questions you can think of.

While playing, if you ever have a rules or any other question, always call a judge.  Your opponent isn't there to make sure the game is fair, so never trust anything they say.
If it is your first sanctioned tournament, then get there early and let the TO know. He will give you the paperwork to fill in for your DCI card & number and will let you know how everything works (different places do things differently).

Before you go, you can: 
Read through the Basic Rulebook cover to cover, check your deck is definately Standard legal, read through the JAR (Judging at Regular REL document), find out the start and finish times, familiarise yourself with the current cards. Make sure you understand all the interactions in your own deck.

Hope that helps  

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
If it is your first sanctioned tournament, then get there early and let the TO know. He will give you the paperwork to fill in for your DCI card & number and will let you know how everything works (different places do things differently).

Before you go, you can: 
Read through the Basic Rulebook cover to cover, check your deck is definately Standard legal, read through the JAR (Judging at Regular REL document), find out the start and finish times, familiarise yourself with the current cards. Make sure you understand all the interactions in your own deck.

Hope that helps  

~ Tim 

It most certainly does.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, folks.